1 year out, still feel horrible

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone,

It’s been just over a year since I’ve taken any medication, and every day for an entire year I’ve been suffering, hoping one day I feel relief and start to feel like my old self. I’m 38 years old, and never felt any of these symptoms in my life.

I was put on Celexa because after one year of marriage, I found out my wife was having an affair.  It absolutely destroyed me, as I was completely in love, extremely happy, and totally blindsided.  After a few months of being in the dumps with minor anxiety, my GP suggested anti depressants.  I was extremely hesitant to say the least, but eventually decided to give it a try.

I followed directions and started at 10mg for 7 days.  I felt ok for the most part (some shakiness, crying spells).  On the 8th day I started 20mg.  After a few days at 20mg I experienced the most severe and unbearable side effects that I can’t fully explain to anybody.  I had brain zapping so severe it felt like my brain was being electrocuted upwards of 12 hours a day.  I had major crying spells, memory loss, confusion, extreme difficulty reaching orgasm, and even suicidal thoughts.  At that point I was so scared I wanted off the meds asap.  My GP advised me to stay on, so I did for another 2 weeks, everyday suffering the same brutal side effects until I tapped out.  I was told if I wanted off, to wean down to 10mg for a week, then stop.  In total, I was only on Celexa for 21 days.

During the 21 days I went to the ER 3 times because the effects were so severe I thought I was losing my mind.  Each time to be told it’s just the stress of my situation and has nothing to do with the medication.  After a few weeks of stopping, I had bad insomnia, and some nights had extreme loud voices and noises in my head, almost like a horror movie... eventually that stopped, the brain zaps eventually stopped, and the other effects slowly subsided.  About a month later, however, I distinctly remember waking up one morning feeling completely detached from myself, and I felt severe tingling in both legs.  I felt so off I can’t even describe it.  I almost felt hyper aware of my own existence, mixed with a bad hangover feeling, grogginess, pressure in my head, and feeling very panicky.

The tingling in my legs lasted for another 6 months, and now is very minor.  Then I went through a phase where I had difficulty reading, and cognitive skills were poor, which lasted about a week or two, but eventually went away.  Then I went through a phase for another 2 months where I would wake up in extreme gut wrenching panic.  Thankfully that also went away.

However, for the entire year I have been living with constant panicky thoughts and have fearful/terrorizing thoughts about anything that comes to mind.  I still have the head pressure and sometimes get severe headaches every few days.  I have felt this way every day for a year now, with no relief in sight.

My wife and I are still together trying to make things work, but it just hasn’t been the same between us.  The affair destroyed us.  Everyone tells me it’s just the stress of the situation causing all these symptoms but I never experienced this before taking Celexa, so I have my doubts.  Does any of this sound like withdrawal even over a year later?  How much longer will I have to suffer before l’m back to myself again?  Thanks in advance

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there, I truly feel for you and understand your symptoms as I also have had just about all of them that you have mentioned. I am only just starting to get some better days. I started 10mg citalopram/Celexa in August 2017. I’m still getting some weird thoughts and some confusion but not as many. Every time I remember the past ones and the nervousness I still get frightened it’s almost like I’ve got PTSD because of what has happened to me because of Citalopram side effects. They are all terrifying. A lot of people have sailed through going on this drug and coming off it. I wish you all the best and it sounds like you are gradually coming to the end of a bad journey as you say a lot of your symptoms are starting to subside x
    • Posted

Hey Jmoo, thanks for the response.. Are you still taking Citalopram?  Sometimes I describe what I'm feeling comparable to PTSD, even though I've never had it... I still feel very panicky/fearful thoughts every single day, and just not right in the head.  I'm at the point where I'm so scared I've done permanent damage.  It's been so long I dont even know what it feels like to be my normal self anymore.  Please tell me it gets better, I dont know how much longer I can take this suffering

• Posted

Hi there, I am taking 10mg of citalopram. I’ve been on it for a year now. I have also thought about whether the side effects have caused me any permanent damage. But after reading that other people who had the same horrific side effects have recovered to a normal state of mind, proves that it doesn’t. I am not a 100% better but I am getting a few moments in the day where I do feel like my normal self and actually recognise who I am. I know that might sound crazy but for a year I was so out of mind that I felt I wasn’t me anymore, almost like my soul and personality was not inside my mind or body. That’s the most terrifying bit for me. But as I said I am now getting moments when I do feel like me. You will get better, it’s the waiting game isn’t it? it’s so draining. I can tell you one thing though, when you do get better, which you definitely will, you’ll be citalopram FREE! I will probably never get off mine, It goes to show how powerful these drugs are, I mean, 2 weeks of them, that’s all you took! Oh honestly I feel for all of us that have gone through this. Hang on In there my lovely,  you’ve come this far. You will start to have better days and then it will be onwards and upwards all the way x

Jacquie 

• Posted

Thank you for the words of encouragement, but honestly I'm at the point I cant take it anymore.  There is just no letting up, its constantly there.  I have often described it as my mind and soul have been ripped from me as well, and also feels like PTSD.  It's non stop head pressure, and very panicky and fearful thinking, thats the best way I can explain it.  It's very frustrating when my doctor completely denies this has anything to do with the citalopram, and blames it all on stress.  Which I admit, I am still living in a stressful environment, not sure if I can get over my wife's affair, and I constantly worry about losing everything, and how my life will be without her.  I'm sure it doesn't help at all, but at the same time I never felt these symptoms before taking citalopram.

The sad part is I only took this poison for 3 weeks, and most likely didn't need it at all, and not it feels like I've ruined my life.

I just don't know how much longer I need to suffer hoping to finally become my old self, before I eventually have to go on some or other medication so I can have a quality life again.

• Posted

Dobber sorry you feeling so miserable ..but celexa for me and formillions of people have recovered on celexa..I wouldn't Call it poison ..it has save millions of life's including mine...

• Posted

My spell correct is acting up sorry..what i meant to say is celexa has saved millions of lives including mine..
    • Posted

Hi again, have you asked your doctor if he can give you anything to help you. I don’t mean antidepressants, just something to help you relax a little x
    • Posted

Absolutely .my phychiatrist always prescribes a benzo to wean or to start the antidepressants...she says without the benzo is not good...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.