10 +3 post TKR. Do I retire?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Went back to work at 8 weeks.  Nursing 3 days a week. Find I'm getting very tired. Love my job but feel it may be time to retire and smell the roses. Such a hard decision. I'm 65 & 1/2. Feel so old. 

Christine NZ

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

How on earth did you manage to work on your feet @8 weeks?

I'm 10+3 to and still feel unable to return to my desk job.

I can't walk very far without feeling exhausted!

I'm 64 and pretty fit.

Not much swelling but lots of tightness and muscle pain.

I couldn't possibly advise you on retirement but you have my admiration!

• Posted

Thanks Suzi. I think I must be mad. My knee is still very swollen. TKR was worth it though. How I worked up to the op I dont know.

Thanks for caring

Christine NZ

• Posted

Hi Christine    Maybe you hasve gone back too early, I am 12 weeks and retired 70 yr old..... still getting tired midday.... but feeling a lot better than I was at 8 weeks!  I also was a bit lethargic and feeling down at 8 weeks, with every week mental state and physical state changes with me, all the time improving.... good luck!
    • Posted

Yes, I think you might be right. There really isnt much support. You get on with it or you leave. Funny old world

Christine NZ

• Posted

Can't say I blame you at all. 8 weeks post TKR not back at work and retiring from nhs at end of month. I am 64 and just feel enough s enough. Enjoy your retirement, you deserve it. I am telling myself a few months down the line and I will be a spring chicken. Really tough at the moment, no two days the same.  eork will be there still no matter what happens. 
    • Posted

Hi Susan

I was going to retire before the op. Decided to see what it would be like to work feeling normal. Thats a joke. Feel so much better. Normal? No.

Christine NZ

• Posted

I decided to retire before I had my TKR. I thought I would miss it after 53 years but no way The memories get better & I forget the 12 - 14 hour shifts. Start and look after yourself. If your UK trained dont forget to claim your NHS pension. Im 69 so I know how you feel but retiring is the start of a new phase in your life where you wake up and think 'what shall we do or where shall we go, or even Im not getting up'. Not 'am I on early' who am I on with, I dont feel I want to get up' 
    • Posted

I know you are right. Another challenge. My husband passed away 8 years ago. Being on my own work has been a lifeline..

Time to move on.

Christine NZ

• Posted

Hi Christine. You obviously enjoy your work. I too am a medic, I do think knowledge can make us worst patients, do you think? I'm 4 weeks post op but constant muscle pain and soreness  front of thigh  bugs me. Logic tells me soft tissue damage takes three months to settle. But logic goes. I had severe bowing corrected so I guess this has added to pains. This is my second tkr. First done by a Paul Rae to emigrated from uk to NZ. Do you know him?  Ok take care and let us know how your doing .

robert

• Posted

Take your time to decide.  I am 16 weeks starting today and am so pleased I do not have to think about work, although I retired just before the op.

carol

• Posted

Oh Christine this is just what this op does for you, no wonder you feel tired and being so tired is making you feel old. You are not old and have lots of life left to enjoy. Give up your work if you can afford to and when you are feeling well again, find something a little lighter to do part time. Nursing is so hard, my daughter in law is a nurse and I see what the job takes out of her. I am 82 and 6months post op and nowhere near back to rude health. Wish you well in whatever you do x
    • Posted

Thanks for understanding Tucks. I am going to bite the bullet and do it.

Christine NZ

• Posted

Hi Christine, I know how you feel I work 24 hours a week as a domiciliary carer in the community. And don't drive so walked to all my clients homes daily. I was in absolute agony before my tkr and it is definitely improved, but I need my other knee done so I don't think I'll b back to work at 12 weeks(im10 weeks now)as planned.

I'm 52 but because of pain and poor mobility I feel a lot older.

I miss my job but I just feel I couldn't cope as it involves so much walking, and up and down stairs.

• Posted

Hi Margaret

It's hard being a carer. Will I have done it. Written out my resignation.

So relieved to of made a decision. Time to smell the roses.

Having a glass of wine to celebrate

Christine NZ

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.