10 days post op (posterior repair of rectocele)

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi i just joined and posted my first question a few hours ago, still learning. Forgot to add (i had a hysterectomy 10yrs ag0), that day ten post-op today I still feel as if vagina 'full', bulging and feel terrified the posterior repair has collapsed in....I've done everything I've read, spend most days lying or sitting with legs up....toileting feels like the stuff of nightmares as I can't bear the new and unusual sensations.

Is it normal to feel like this - i had a look and just inside vag could see what must be walls etc. But right there, right at the entrance. I guess its early days and all swollen still. 🤔

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ten days is so very early, you’ve had major surgery and there will be lots of swelling and even more healing to take place. 

My follow up was 12 weeks, before then my consultant said it was too early to assess how everything was. 

It’s really hard to be patient but patience is the answer! ☹️

Rest, rest and more rest. Eat sensibly, drink lots of water and gradually build up your mobility; walking is best, a little more each day. 

Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi Ruth 

I am 5 weeks po and still have the bulge I have had it since the op was done 

I have been told several times that this is swelling and too stop looking but I find it impossible 

I too had a hysterectomy 5mths ago mine was done by mistake I went in for A&P repairs so the horror when I woke still very prolapsed I think has added too my anxiety too the offending bulge I can still see!

I think we expect too be instantly cured from this but I wish we left the with a more realistic expectation 

I completely agree with Shelia’s advice I am resting as much as o can, keep legs elevated and I soak pads put them in the freezer and use them as an icepack does help with the heavy feeling 

Also keep on top of ibruorofen even if you don’t need for pain it will help with swelling 

Please don’t torture yourself as I have throughout my recovery xxx

• Posted

I am nearly a year on from A&P repair, sacrospinous fixation and vaginal hysterectomy. I still have a bulge, ridge like, I’ve been reassured that my prolapses are fixed and this is my urethra! I still have stress incontinence when exercising, one of the reasons I opted for the surgery last year. ?? So still a bit of a way to go yet. 

Stay strong, wise words which are hard to follow. Xx

• Posted

Chloe you are so reassuring, thank you so much! It really helps. I'm a nurse but still feel completely lost with all this and don't think i was well-prepared. It is hard to resist looking when i feel anxious - going to the toilet is awful and i spend all day obsessing over it until it's happened then panicking afterwards as each time feels entirely different! I appreciate your advice - just had bruffen now! Unsure about when to start doing Kegels?? R

• Posted

Hi sheila

What do you mean by urethra? If its not prolapsed why do they say it your urethra.is that normal yo feel it .just curious lol. Rest up.x

• Posted

I really believe a prolapse carry’s a huge emotional burden with us ladies, so this surgery means so much not just for our physical health but also for us too regain some body confidence and carry on with our ‘normal’ life  not worried and restricted as too what we can do without our insides dropping out 😪 

It’s human nature for us too read and expect the worst, sometimes I hate having a smart phone but it has helped keep me reasonably sane in the past 5 weeks 

I don’t know if it will help but I have started taking Kalms and also made a concious effort too turn off my mobile at nighttime which seems to be when I consult Dr Google the most as it is when I feel the worst.... 

I have downloaded the squeezy app from NHS and have been doing sets of kegel’s 3 Times a day from 2 weeks PO I can already feel an improvement with the strength in my walls and I find I am allot more aware of engaging my pelvic floor when doing normal day to day activities 

We are strong ladies to have take. The plunge and gone through this very invasive and demeaning process in the first place we have too keep this strength at this time when we are feeling so vunerable although I understand it is very hard xx

• Posted

I agree Chloe, i think its a very invasive and vulnerable process...love to know the exact name of the app? Thanks for your support! R.
    • Posted

I’ve got the NHS App, it’s called ‘Squeezy’! Blue icon, figure crossing their legs .... it’s great. 😊

• Posted

It’s called “Squeezy” Ruth 

I hope your feeling a little better xx

• Posted

My surgeon said not to even think about Kegals until the 4th week. I am so confused.
    • Posted

I was told six weeks, we are all different and have all had slightly different surgery. Listen to your surgeon, only they know what they did to you! 
    • Posted

My surgeon said to start my oelvic floor exercises as soon as i feel comfortable to do them.  The physio came to see me before i was discharged and she said the same, the sooner the better.  I think differnt surgeons have different opinions 
    • Posted

It depends so much on each individual and the surgery they’ve had. I was told to wait six weeks, healing was the priority, the muscles can wait. But, that was for me .......

Take advice from your surgeon, they know your body. 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.