10 days post op TKR and doing very well

Posted , 7 users are following.

Its now 10 days since my TKR and would like to share what the past 10 days have been like as this will assist people who are either sitting on the fence or people like me who were and are desperately trying to find an alternative cure.

The first 3 days were quite serve and pain level was controlled by 800mg of Tramadol each day which believe you me does make you hallucinate, like the wall paper crawling up the wall, people coming to life if newspaper pictures but the heavy doses did help. I did have self administer Morphine when in Hospital but that was very short lived due to the addictive complications that the drug can cause.

I started mobility the second day using a mixture of crutches and zimmer frame, never thought I would use one if them, but needs must !!

I worked out a simple philosophy on the paid. The paid endured prior the operation being classed as the negative  pain due to the fact that it was a pain that was always there with no hope of going away unless something drastic was done. The new paid, post op has been classed as the positive pain, and this is because this new pain will start to improve and subside over a period of time and hopefully be removed completely.

After day 6 I  started to do my exercise in vain until it hurts ! that was the surgeon’s  actual advice – to exercise every 20 minutes until it hurts !! talk is cheap I said to him as you don’t have to do it

He did give me a bit of good new though as he pointed out that my left leg was now straight and the bow had been removed by turning the leg to he left when using the cutting blocks. As he said that if they had left it as it was I would have been back in there 5 years time for a remedial op.

Days 8 and 9 noticed less paid and more movement now starting to load bear on the new knee this has been quite a mind over matter thing as just waiting for the pain to shoot up my keg when there is nothing, no pain. Today day 10 have started more walking totally un-aided for short periods with my wife by my side just in case but so far all looking very good and no regrets – perhaps the only regret I’ve got is that I did not have the operation years ago !!

Will post again with another progress report after I have my staples taken out next Monday. I hope my relating this experience will encourage others to bite the bullet and have the TKR done sooner rather than later

Best wishes Jude

2 likes, 13 replies

Report / Delete

13 Replies

• Posted

Well done Jude! Can I ask where you are please? Never sure on the forum if posters are from UK, USA, Australia....?!

You have given something positive for people like me who face two TKR in the future. Thank you and very best wishes for your continued recovery.

Gill Ormskirk Lancashire UK

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Gillmee

I live in the UK and thanks for your kind words

Best wishes Jude

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Every now and then you will get a little set back as nerves heal and soft tissue realigns and becomes actively participating in walking correctly. Don't let it get to you as it will all settle down. Don't be to quick to drop pain meds. If those that you started on arent perfoming properly, talk to your primary care doc. There is an abundance of products out there and there is no need for anyone to suffer. Take it slow and straight. Rushing any part of the recovery can cause a set back. The body will only heal so fast and everyone is different. Stay with the rehab program. I've been through this knee rehab and have had the advice to work that much that often. The idea of not getting yourself into pain is good. When you walk go slow. Step out full stride....hit heel 1st then ball of foot then toe. Make a full bend as much as possible with each step. You'll look a little strange but walking properly is the key to recovery success.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks for your progress report Jude that will be very helpful to others.

can I just say that being on the morphine during your hospital stay, you won't become addicted in that short time.

i have been on the stuff at home sometimes up to a month, with absolutely no trouble coming off it when the time is right....Some people experience more pain than others, and if you need it then take....but never ever stop abruptly if you do take it for a period of time.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Glad to hear that you are doing so well, Jude.  You must have a very strong will to be able to exercise every 20 mins with severe pain.  I really don't think that I could have done.

Tramadol does seem the best for pain, but although I had real problems focussing once I'd taken it I luckily never had hallucinations.  I can remember typing some very strange texts though!

Keep up the good work.  The staple removal isn't at all bad, and they take out every other one to start with.

Let us know how you get on.

Patsy

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Well done you, a lot of the time it has to be mind over matter. Waiting for that jolt and it does not appear is like wow!!!!  Keep going, you might experience little dips now and then, but you will overcome.  Don't be afraid to use meds as a prop, perhaps cut back a bit or change to something that doesn't have you skating across the ceiling.  Wishing you well
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thank you Jude for your update on your TKR. I recently had an artroscopy, but unfortunatley it was not successful. I am now due to have a TKR in approx 3 weeks time. I am very frightened of both the operation and the pain afterwards, but reading your post has made me think Positive. Can I ask were you totally put to sleep, or slightly sedated ?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Anaesthesia choice seems to be very dependent on where you are located. I go to a teaching university medical school in the US and general is the common place here. Other parts of the world blocks are the preferred. I guess in some locations you can pick and choose. I suggest you discuss your options and pluses/ minuses of both types as far in advance as possible. Other things, femoral blocks for post surgery pain control and any concerns you have with pain control meds. If you have adverse reactions to any family of meds, tell all the Dr's. They will appreciate any and all information
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Anaesthesia for something as serious as a TKR will be either via a general anaesthesia or epidural.  With epidural they can send under as deep as necessary and the up side is that waking up is quicker, better.  Under the general you need to be monitored more.  At the end of the day, the surgeion will ask you or at the very least ask your opinions of the choices given.  It is a personal choice from there.  Good luck, be brave.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hazel,may I add my experience as i think it may help. In the UK,had TKR 3 and a half weeks ago. I was not given a choice,told I would be having an epidural. This did not worry me. Believe me if I had wanted a general anasthetic I would have said so as i refuse to be intimidated by surgeons,doctors or anybody else. However my experience of this was good. I felt nothing. All the lower part of my body was numb and they gave me something that made me what i can only describe as "happy". So my advice to you on that based on my experience would be not to worry. There WAS pain after the operation but I must admit not as much as i was prepared for. I am quite a fit man of 66 but am not used to stays in hospital and resulting pain so once again my advice would be try not to worry. I am dealing with being on my own post op but with a little help which i am having to pay for I feel im doing quite well. Hopefully you will be in a better position Hazel. Best wishes.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you John for your kind words. I think this forum is great for getting other people's experiences of TKR operations.

I am still absolutley terrified, but hey ho, I've just got to grin and bear it.

I hope you make a good recovery and quickly get back to a fit and healthy life.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Hazel. Weve got to keep batting on. Im finding yourself and other forum members very helpful. Got a few questions when i can string them all together,so many of them!!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Anaesthesia , will also depend on your anaesthetist, your general health whether or not you have sleep apnea or lung disease. 

Most anaesthetists  here prefer to use a spinal block or epidural, as it's much better for pain control, waking up etc. 

since I am pretty healthy I always opt for a general as I am never sick from it....But it is harder in the beginning to get pain under control..?

Even with spinal you can be out of it so you don't hear or see anything.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up