10 months post op & reached my goal

Posted , 11 users are following.

I haven't posted very much lately but follow discussions of many of you who've had TKRs more recently than me.  I just want to give you some inspiration. My motivation for having the op was that I could enjoy walking on my holidays again. I had got to the point that even a 1/2 mile stroll was a struggle. 

Well, I've just got back from a lovely week in beautiful Lake Como and am delighted to report that I walked daily, got on & off ferries and even managed 2 longer walks of about 5km (1 up and down hills).

Things are not perfect - I still feel it when I get up firom sitting, especially if the seat is a bit low, and still get some stiffness and tingling from this Piriformis muscle that has troubled me. Also my other hip is a bit troublesome. But I've achieved what I wanted to and, hopefully, things could even improve further. So all of you in the early recovery stages take heed - you will get there but it does take time.

Good luck to you all - and keep up the exerciseslol

Jen (10 months post op) 

6 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Wow that is fantastic!! My goal is to be able to dance all night at my daughters wedding which is next month and I'll be 4 months post tkr. It's nice to hear good news as it is a very long and painful process so good news is always good. It's certainly lifted my spirits!! Well done you. 👏👏👍😉
    • Posted

Hi Clarkey, I'm looking forward to dancing at my son's wedding but it's not till December so I'll be a bit further down the line than you. I'm sure you'll do it though. Remember to sit when you can though and try to do some simple exercises in the loo perhaps! I went to a wedding at 3 months post op and found it hard to stand around. 

I hope you have a lovely day. 

Jen 

• Posted

Hey Jen ... I'll make sure I'm fighting fit for the day!!! Congratulations on your son's wedding and have a great time. 😉😉 xx
  • Posted

We all go thru hard times with a TKR.  Mine was done six months ago, I am now literally running up and down the stairs.  I believe the physical therapy is a little different in the States than the UK, I had a walker for two days, a cane for two days and then on my own unaided.  Steps were introduced immediately as well as the stationary bike.  No staples, my incision was glued, could take showers immediately.  I must say the first few months were torturous but with sweat and tears I managed well. Good luck to all of you out there, there definetly is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Sandi (USA, NEW JERSEY) By the way I am a Brit. 
    • Posted

I'm in New Jersey also (Ocean County) almost 3 months post op, have basically had the same experience as you.  Having the  surgeon use glue and not staples was the best!  Looking forward to the day when I'll be going up & downs stairs properly, having issues with my quads, they're talking their time recouperating from the surgery. But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    • Posted

Hi PattyLee, I am Monmouth county, Freehold.

second knee will be done next year, I can't put my husband through this again so soon.  Lol!  Hope you are mending well.  Sandi

• Posted

Hi Sandi,

Small world I used to live in Wall, I'm in Forked River Beach now.  My surgeon is from Brielle Orthopedics, thinking yours also.  Good luck with

having your other knee done,  PattyLee

• Posted

Hi PattyLee,  my surgeon is located in Old Bridge, was very fortunate to have found a doctor that has empathy and is an excellent surgeon. Hopefully you feel the same about yours.  I am from the UK but have lived in the US along time, I find the posts very interesting from the UK as it seems there recovery advice differs somewhat than here.  Hope you are doing well. Sandi
    • Posted

Defenitely different therapy here in the States then in other countries. I was the only one at in-patient rehab with glue not staples and everyone had to take a look!  I'm doing good even though I'm having issues with my quads, just makes thing a bit more difficult and challenging.  Continued good luck to you,  PattyLee
  • Posted

It's really great to hear your goals have been achieved, both Jennifer and Sandi.  I'm just 12 days post op and tortuous is probably a good way to describe how I feel it Sandi!  It's really good to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel, even though it seems to be an extremely long tunnel!

my goal is,after having years of bone on bone, just to have a knee without pain and to be able to have normal days out and holidays with my family, without hearing "we can't do that because mum won't be able to do it" (I'm 49

best wishes to you both, and good luck to clarkey with the dancing!

• Posted

Oh gosh do I hear all of u! I have 5 weeks op and am having my second one done next week. I am hoping the surgery goes as well on the second as the first. I then I can focus on both of my knees getting better together. I too can't wait for the day to be able to do things with the family without them saying mom can't do that! I still use the walker a lot in the house but I have started to use the cane outside. A lot of stiffness and aches but nothing I can't work through. Let me tell you reading everybody's experiences have helped me get through this !!! Keep up the good work everyone!!! Only we understand what we are going through. And in the end we will all be better for it! With lots of appreciation for all!
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer!

Congratulations! What a wonderful feeling & achievement to go on your first long holiday and be able to do all the things you used to do!

As you know, I'm 10 weeks as well. I have no regrets either having it done as I know I would be in an awful state by now otherwise. Like you, I still feel the stiffness & soreness when getting up or out of the car, but I don't think that is related to the knee, but arthritis in general ( hips, etc)

If I have anything to share with others, it would be to keep up the exercises. I became "lazy" about them, figuring my morning walk & riding the exercise bike on occasion was enough, but it's not. I'm paying for it now and feel like I've gone backwards a bit. Have that tight band feeling around my TKR & pain, especially at night. Gotta keep it moving!

It's fun to hear from some of the originals. Lynn ( whose daughter lives in New Mexico) if you see this post, let us know how you are doing!!! Miss hearing from you!

Take care Jennifer and again, so great to hear what a lovely time you had!!

Betty

• Posted

Hi Betty, good to hear from you too. I agree with you about the exercises. I'm a bit lazy too at times but you do need to keep bending & stretching don't you? confused I get the stiffness still at times too and, like you, have arthritis elsewhere that contributes to it. But I really did enjoy our holiday. 

Yes, it would be good to hear from a few 'oldies' like Lynn and Tucks.

Take care - let's hope we both continue to improve.

Jen 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.