10 months post op & reached my goal

Posted , 11 users are following.

I haven't posted very much lately but follow discussions of many of you who've had TKRs more recently than me.  I just want to give you some inspiration. My motivation for having the op was that I could enjoy walking on my holidays again. I had got to the point that even a 1/2 mile stroll was a struggle. 

Well, I've just got back from a lovely week in beautiful Lake Como and am delighted to report that I walked daily, got on & off ferries and even managed 2 longer walks of about 5km (1 up and down hills).

Things are not perfect - I still feel it when I get up firom sitting, especially if the seat is a bit low, and still get some stiffness and tingling from this Piriformis muscle that has troubled me. Also my other hip is a bit troublesome. But I've achieved what I wanted to and, hopefully, things could even improve further. So all of you in the early recovery stages take heed - you will get there but it does take time.

Good luck to you all - and keep up the exerciseslol

Jen (10 months post op) 

6 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am waiting for my date for TKR and would like to thank you for your post.  So far on this forum all I have read is how horrendous the surgery is and haven't found anyine aoart from yourself who reports how it is eventually much better than their PRE surgery pain.  I can only walk for about 5 minutes before serious discomfort kicks in and a further 5 mins until I hit the stabbing pain stage.  I am fine if I stay home and pootle round the house and don't expect to have a life, I am hoping my TKR will give me some life back.  I hope I am not deluded!??
    • Posted

It's hard giving advice as everyone is different with different degrees of pain. I wasn't in severe pain before the op but for about a year I was gradually finding I couldn't walk very far without being very uncomfortable. My leg was quite bent and would stiffen up and wake me at night.  It was this that made me decide to have the op and although it's been a hard 10 months I am glad I had it done. All I can say to you is, in my experience, it's like having a new knee that enables me to walk long distances again but it's not like having my normal knee back like the one I had when I was younger. I don't know if this makes sense and maybe yours will feel even better than mine. I can honestly say I suffer no real pain now though it just gets stiff and a bit uncomfortable. It's great to be able to lie in bed with a straight leg though and to be able to stand comfortably. 

I certainly wouldn't put you off having the op but be prepared for a long recovery and that's where this forum really helps as there's always someone with a similar problem and you get lots of reassurance.

Good luck! 

Jen 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.