10% taper measuring problems

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All am back on 20mg from a failed taper attempt a week ago, am starting to feel a bit better apart from short term memory and fuzzy head.  I have been given citalopram drops, each drop is 20mg, which means my 10% is not possible apart from the 1st one from 20 to 18mg.

Has anyone ever had liquid citalopram in UK that isnt drops? as I am being told we do not have them, due to previous experiences I like to double check these things.  Any ideas on how to measure tiny amounts with tablets?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

ooops! I meant to say each drop is 2mg not 20mg
    • Posted

Hi Paula,

Then it is quite easy!

If 1 drop is 2 mg, then you are currently at 10 drops.

Stay on it for 6 moths at least, or until you are stabilized.

Then you wean by1 drop every time, and stay at the new dose till stabilized again.

It's not a strict 10% weaning off rule, but I can assure you that it is quite slow.

Either you are happy with the drug or not, the only way now off it, is a very very slow tapering, for the least consequences.

Nothing is guaranteed, but at least it seems that this is the consensus, if one finds itself in this situation.

Best regards

• Posted

I think lois suggested a tablet splitter from the chemist. Split a 10 into a 5 easy, split the 5 into 2.5, thats the best you can do.
  • Posted

I have had it with this med, have been ill due to side effects for over 3.5years, taking it makes me ill, tapering makes me ill, have developed a severe sensitivity. I am damned I do and damned if I do not. Its been a huge fight with the medical community to listen, thankfully I have a good doctor now. I have hung onto my job for dear life, this med is finally beating me, I have absolutely had it. I wish you all well, and know it helps lots of people.
    • Posted

I was put on it for hot flushes, that was all, no other reason, its outrageous!
    • Posted

Paula my phychiatrist prescribes long lasting xanex for people that want to wean off ssris..which means while you are weaning if you get withdrawal she recommends you take the long lasting xanex to fight your withdrawals..xanex hr.
    • Posted

That is indeed a ridiculous reason. So sorry you are suffering, but glad you are beginning to feel slightly more stabilised.

It can be a tough trek off. Kostas'solution sounds good, above. Or you can cut 10mg pills into quarters and get amounts of 2.5. So then, if you took a 10mg plus three 2.5s, that would be 17.5mg. I know that's over 10 percent, but it is still a small drop.

• Posted

Ruth, it is a ridiculous reason, my doctor apologised early this year for putting me on it. Anyway, I had a bit of a meltdown out of pure frustration and really do not want to take anymore cita right now, but am left with no choice and have too despite it giving me side effects. Good news my doctor has given me something for vertigo and I am getting my ears checked for my tinnitus, I will do 2mg tapers and my doctor wants to see me in a few weeks to see how I am. Heres to the next stage in my hellish journey.
    • Posted

I am yes Ruth, I like the idea that it doesnt contain lactose. Might help with stomach side effects.

Hope you are well!

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your support, sorry if I sound abrubt am just tired of this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.