10 weeks

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone just to let you know how I'm doing. For people who have just had this and thinking what have I done I was one of them never thought I would be the same again. Well I've come out the other side I'm walking properly again and my knee is doing what it should my bend is getting there mentally I'm more stable it really took it out of me. But I've got a question I went to a hydro pool last night as per physios instructions but when I came out my leg was swollen and I had pain found it hard to walk has anybody else had this problem I'm booked in for some more not sure if I should go leg is ok today love this forum your all brill. Oh and my taste for wine has come back thank god ha

3 likes, 14 replies

Report / Delete

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda glad to hear your coming out of the other side!

Re the Hydro, I think it's totally normal - because the water makes the exercises so much easier, we tend to overdo it and end up.sore and swollen. So long as you take things steady, I'd definitely keep going.

Good luck with the rest of your recovery.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Agree totally with Terri59470, you are doing more exercises and more range of movement in water.  You can't get the same satisfaction in a normal pool with cold water.  The warm water allows you to relax. Cold will tense you
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Glad to hear you're doing good. I'm at 4 weeks post PKR and I think I'm doing good but when I wake up in the morning, and through the night, my knee is so stiff, it's like starting all over each day. Did you feel this way?  My doc says I can start driving when I feel like it too but I'm not sure I have that much control yet. When were you able to drive?  I'm still using a walker, doc requires until 6 weeks. When were you walking without assistance?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi RethaT

I'm 6 wks PO with L TKR. Your lucky that you are able to sleep at all. Speaking as someone with chronic insomnia my nights are all unbearable. I too find my knee is very stiff in the morning, then again, whenever I rest my leg for any length of time, getting going again in wretched. It stiffens up immediately, so I understand your frustration. Re: driving, I have an automatic so have been driving since the 4 wks stage. Last week my Physio asked me not to use my elbow crutch any more and gave me a stick. Doesn't feel as secure bug I will persevere. Good luck with your recovery.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Retha, I'm 4 weeks PO PKR, and I definitely felt that 'starting again' in the morning feeling for the first 2 weeks and then suddenly, one morning I woke up and I could walk without pain and soreness.  It's not permanently pain-free but in pockets.  I know we are all different and heal/recover at different rates, one of the things I found helpful is to have the Paracetamol next to the bed, so when I wake up at 6am ish, I take my first 2 then, so by the time I actually get out of bed they have kicked in.

I drove my car after 3 weeks, but I had my right knee done, had it been my left there's no way I would have been able to drive.  I'm not using walking aids any longer, although if I'm out in public and going to be walking with other people around, I take a stick just to give people the heads up that they should give me a bit of room.

I'm on Paracetamol and Ibuprofen during the day and Codeine, when I need it, at night.  I'm one of the lucky ones, in that sleep hasn't been a particular problem for me, although I have had some 'restless' nights, but I just go with the flow and take the Codeine the next night to make sure I get a full night's sleep.

My routine is getting pretty tedious, I have to say, when I'm not doing my exercises I always have my leg elevated.  Since I started cycling on my turbo trainer twice a day I 'feel' as though the straightening of my leg has become restricted.  As of 2 weeks ago I had 110 bend, and I'm off to see the physio tomorrow, so we'll see if that has improved.   When I first began the cycling it hurt a lot, but then after 2 mins my knee would free up and by the end of the 5 mins it felt a lot easier and I was able to do my other exercises with ease.  The next day it was sore, but after 5/6 days it definitely felt better.

My head is telling me to do more exercise but I know that if I do I will suffer the following day, so it's a delicate balance between exercising and rest.  I do hope you begin to feel better soon, are you icing and elevating? My sister in law is a Podiatrist and tells me that the happy number is 6 weeks, that's when the magic happens, an in any case, everything is relative.  Good luck!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Oh, wow!  You were driving at 3 weeks!  I am in my 5th week now and I think I could do it but am really just unsure how strong I'd be if I had to make a quick reaction.  Probably just about getting my confidence in that leg back.  

I haven't taken anything stronger that ibuprofen since my 3rd week.  I really don't have pain, just muscle soreness and stiffness.  I didn't have a pt, as my doc said it wasn't necessary with pkr as long as I did the exercises they sent me home with.  I have been religious about doing them but since he has said stay on the walker for 6 weeks, I'm not sure how strong I am without it!  I see him again in 3 more weeks but I'm dying to talk to someone and see if I'm where I should be!!!

I started using my stationary bike last week and can do up to about 50 rotations now.  There again, not sure how much to do of this and was told just not to over do it!  I think I will try the 2 - 5 mins like you are doing.  I really feel like this is good for my knee even though it really stretches out!

i do ice and elevate.  My bend is probably over 100 and I really hope that your sister is right about the 6 week magic!

Thanks for your input!  I am scheduled for my left kr on December 17th and actually that knee hurts worse that the knee with the surgery so I can't wait!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I agree that just sitting for a few minutes causes my knee to stiffen as well.  I have lived with so much knee pain for so long, I am really anxious to see this pain subside as I've been told!  I had surgery on the right knee and I have to say, the left knee hurts worse than the right one when I walk already!  I am scheduled to get the left one done on December 17th so have to start this all over again.  My goal is to be golfing in the spring!  smile  Good luck with your recovery as well!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I felt very abandoned during my first 2 weeks, I really needed someone to talk to about how it felt, whether I was doing things right or wrong etc.  I think it's terrible that there is such inconsistency with follow up.  I'm just going with how I feel at the moment.  I'm generally quite a strong person, but I've learnt what I can and can't do.  If you can afford it, is it worth seeing a physiotherapist?

I'm up to 8 mins x 2 on the bike now, whereas 2 weeks ago could barely do 2, a week later and I was doing 5.  I've also started with a theraband, hooking my toes in, pulling it up over my shoulder and then pushing my foot against the band (take a look at Dancer's pose in yoga, you'll get the idea) and I feel this is really helping me.  I do lots of squats from seated position, whenever I get up to have a drink or go to the loo, I do 10 of those and/or theraband.  Another thing to relieve the stiffness is to put your operated leg on the stair and simply lean into it, I found this helped me a lot in the first/second week.

Good luck with all of this and your new op, oh my goodness I don't know if I would want to go through this all again so soon smile

Lynne

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

So glad to hear you feel 'normal' again. I'm 7 weeks and still get sick to my stomach when I think about the fact i haveto get my other knee done yet. I'm still in quite a bit of pain every day. Stiffness and soreness from just sleeping. Are you still on any pain pills at all ?
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sorry if i havent replied to any questions but my ipad keeps kicking me out of this site so on laptop now. Was at physio today and he was so pleased with me im discharged whoopeee.So for anybody worried they are not doing well it took me 10 weeks to be able to bend my knee when i walk its been hard work but ive managed changed to a dinning room chair to bend knee now i can get it further back so height of seat matters also beeen rubbing anti inflammatory cream on knee thats really helped so everybody hang in there.Was wondering if i should now buy a mini bike for when im sitting to help with the stiffness thanks everyone 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Peg it is Feldene gel i put it on in the morning and last thing at night it took my swelling right down and made it easier for movement. Just been out for a walk which is getting easier 11 weeks tomorrow and im now looking foreward to doing things theatre next month holiday with sis next year just wondered when i can start wearing little heels  
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I have never heard of Feldene gel but I will be looking it up!  I am starting my 6th week of rehab from pkr and feeling pretty good except for the stiffness that I have which I hear is pretty common at this point.  I have a wedding to go to in New Orleans on Nov. 28th which will be my 10th week.  I want to see New Orleans sites while I'm there but am I crazy to think that I'll be able to do that at 10 weeks?  Hate to book a flight just to cancel it!.

Continued success on your recovery and thanks for the Feldene gel info!

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up