10 weeks post op, knee getting stiff and sore again

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi folks, I am 10 weeks post op today and pain wise etc had been getting better until the last few days. My knee is getting very stiff and uncomfortable again and then painful at top of shin where new part of knee joins. The back of knee is really sore. I have not fallen or been overdoing things. I am starting to do a bit more in house but not going mad. Am doing physio 3 times a day and still doing static bike 20 mins and walking 25 mins.

​Has anyone else  found this or any suggestions. I just want to sit and cry at the moment when this time last week I was doing so much better than today. Thank you in advance xx

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sue

Sorry to hear that you're having a difficult time. I'm only 5 weeks post op today, so not really in a position to advise.....but thinking about what you're doing, perhaps you should cut back a bit for a few days? Listen to your body, rest, take painkillers if you need to. Give your knee a chance to heal itself. Then if no better by the end of the week, consult doctor or physio, whichever you feel is most helpful?

Meanwhile, give yourself a break if you can. Wishing you all the best xx

• Posted

Hi Nex, thank you, my husband said the same to me yesterday and did not allow me to go for a walk or use the bike and before going to work today said not to do again today. I did do my physio. I will give it a few days and then ring someone. I thought I was doing so well only needing odd painkiller and not every day but needed to really up them since Fri.

​Am presently doing very little, watching silly tv. Just want sit and cry.  Thank you. xx

• Posted

Hi Sue. Sorry you are hurting😢 I am 6 weeks post and felt like I was regressing several days ago- more pain in new places. PT told me to REST and cut back temporarily. It did worlds of good! I think as we start to get better we tend to overestimate just how much we can do yet. Good luck, Cathy in Alabama
    • Posted

Thank You Cathy, just taking it easier today, suppose getting impatient and wanting to do things and have maybe overdone it, Lack of help wth family now as they think should be back to normal. Thank you x
  • Posted

Hi sue11 months and still get pain in different places around knee mostly

when i do to much for some of us it takes  a good  while to  get  over this

op

• Posted

Thank you, I am just a bit down with this as was seeming to be coming on well until end of last week when started to get really uncomfortable/sore again. Taking it a bit easier for a few days. xx
  • Posted

My suggestion is to give your body a rest. Some gentle rom exercises. Listen to your body. 
    • Posted

Thank you Anne, i have only done my physio today and taking it easier. xx
  • Posted

HI sue,  I am almost 15 weeks po.  I still find that I get sore and stiff when I do different things.  May not be overdoing, could just be using muscles in ways not used in 10 weeks.  I have been thru the type of soreness at the junctions and the back of my knee too.  I did just what you are doing....rest a bit let the soreness pass.  It will.  Promise.

pam

• Posted

Thank you Pam, I had quite  a restful day yesterday, only physio and a walk and today aprt from bike, physio and a walk am being selfishly lazy too......dont care what family think !

Thank you xx

• Posted

Ummm, you haven't been overdoing things....... Are you in training for the next marathon?? You have had a seriously major operation and you want to hop, skip and jump already. By all means start your day with the bike and then do some exercises and that's it!  Incorporate other exercises into whatever you do around the house, whether it be walking up and down stairs, vacuuming.  But that's it.  Otherwise everything you do will be counterproductive.  You are looking at a good year before you are able to keep up with the rest of the family.  They have not had their leg cut off and re-attached; you have.  The back of the knee hurts because the ligaments are being strained, before your leg is truly strong enough.   It is also natural, at this stage, to want to just sit and cry, if you really can't cope, ask your doctor for some anti depressants. You don't have to be on them for very long. Just long enough to lift your spirits.  If you don't want to godown that route, then really nice smelly candles and essential oils. Don't worry what others think, this is all about you and your recuperation.  If they really need to have a reality check, get them to watch an procedure online or you tube, that will bring them back to earth.  Lots of TLC and a cut back on your exercises and before ou know it, you'll be raring to go.  You will know when you are ready to do more.

Allow Patience to be your friend, get to know your new knee, otherwise you'll hate it 

• Posted

Thank you Sueisobel, I just feel can't do very much. Patience will have to be new friend. I know had big op but my adult kids are so you should be doing this where is this and husband back to working long hours again so out at 6am not finished till 9pm last night. I was very lazy yesterday and did not a lot and today may be the same. I have appointment at drs next week to see about work so if I feel no better will say to her. I do love my knee and am glad had operation, i suppose just still tired as sleep is still not 100% better than was but not grest. Sorry for moany post but thsnk you for caring. xx
    • Posted

It is not so much laziness as inertia.  Zone the children out, if they cannot make informed and intelligent comments..... Alow them to go in one ear and out the other.  There will come a point when they will hurt themselves and you will be the first person they run to.... payback time. Children these days can be very self-centred and me, me, me without thinking that their comments and expectations can be extremely hurtful and depressing. Force yourself to do things; (If your husband is out all day) make a list and go through it one at a time.  Before long you will be doing more and more without realising it. You will not need to set aside time for exercising as what you are doing round the house will be more than enough. Think about what you are doing and exaggerate your movements, much cheaper than a gym subscription + by the time your husband gets hopme at night he will see a different, more positive you.  You know your own tolerance levels, but take care, the longer you stay "not doing a lot", the harder it will become to get motivated.  Am assuming you have the house to yourself during the day?? So... you can be as crazy as you like, turn the music up, play your favourite tracks, you may find yourself trying to dance to the music.  It is all positive, dusting those hard to reach places means you have to stand on tip toes; a good way to strengthen your thighs and calves.  By the end of the day, you will feel tired, but a good tired.  By the time you are ready to go back to work, your energy levels should/need to be quite high, otherwise you wont be able to get through the day.
    • Posted

Sueisobel, thank you agian so much, all of what you say makes perferct sense.....i do have house to myself as everyone else is at work, just me and my wee dog. I do have the radio on and at times do sing along, the dog looks at me as if I am crazy, ha ha.

​I have made a list of "to dos" for the next few days and believe me some of them do involve grown up spoilt kids doing things when they are off work on sat. (hubby gets left out he works 6 days!)

​thank you I am feeling positive today xx

• Posted

Brilliant, turn the radio higher and sing more, sounds like your dog understands you. Just don't wear yourself out (it's easy to do (the wearing yourself out bit), but when you get to the point of knowing you are doing too much. Stop!), use the excuse that you dog needs to commune with nature.

Keep singing x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.