10 weeks post op, knee getting stiff and sore again

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi folks, I am 10 weeks post op today and pain wise etc had been getting better until the last few days. My knee is getting very stiff and uncomfortable again and then painful at top of shin where new part of knee joins. The back of knee is really sore. I have not fallen or been overdoing things. I am starting to do a bit more in house but not going mad. Am doing physio 3 times a day and still doing static bike 20 mins and walking 25 mins.

​Has anyone else  found this or any suggestions. I just want to sit and cry at the moment when this time last week I was doing so much better than today. Thank you in advance xx

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My problem similar to yours after 12 weeks. You will still have good days and bad days. PT says every time you work a new muscle in your leg this happens. I have yet to have one day without that stiffness in my knee and pain behind the knee.
    • Posted

Hi jeanne, some days it can be really stiff and especially after doing my physio/exercise bike. The pain behind my knee is really sore at times but I find a bit of heat behind it helps, my physio said I could heat behnd but only ice infront. My only consolation is the pain is better than before surgery.

​It is really stiff today but the weather here today has changed to drizzly , damp and cooler too.

Best wishes

​x

• Posted

Does anyone know when the stiffness goes away? After 12 weeks I expected it to be better than this. I will try the heat behind my knee and see if that helps although I am just getting over a blood clot from behind there.

• Posted

I don't know how long stiffness last, it seems to vary from what people on here say. Tonight mine is really swollen and stiff, don't really know what i have done today, even ankle and foot are bad, never been so swollen. Bed now, hopefully sleep a while x
  • Posted

I'm 10 weeks post op as well. Like you going thru the same. I get very down at times, cry, alone, no one really understands ( except for this wonderful group of people).  I'm amazed that people are able to go back to work before this point, I wish that were the case for me. I have a hard time w weight bearing on the one leg. Do pt hour n half in a.m. N every other day two times a day. Walk everyday for about 15 minutes. I cry thru certain exercise, feels tortuous but work thru it. I do have to say I finally broke my bend from two digits to three, FINALLY 100 degree bend with lots of pain but did it. Pt saw that I was down n out, gave me a great pep talk.  Need to get back to my meditation as well.  Also need not to over do. Gee, I can't even make a full rotation on the bike that's another thing that gets to me, something so simple once now painful,,,,,,, but will get there.  Sue I think this surgery is par for the course. Just keep at it and try to stay positive, that could be your key. This website is a g-d send with so many wonderful people to find support from. You are not alone and will get through. I've heard read that this can take up to 6-12 months for complete healing ( not that your in constant pain the whole time of course).  I come hear to lend a ear n tell my story for what it's worth also to make sure I'm not losing it in the head as welll!  Stay strong, prayers of good health n healing blowing your way... USA fla, kathy 🙀😇🍀🌈
    • Posted

You really are beating yourself up AND overdoing it AND over exercising. So STOP, take stock of you are doing.

Are you taking your pain meds regularly. Are you taking night meds, if you are in pain,speak with your doctor and either increase dosage or take something else.  There is no reason why you should stick to a drug that does not work.  The doctor does not know you are in pain unless you tell them. If you are feeling down and unable to cope bet prescribed some anti-depressants; you do not have to take them for long, maybe a month!!!!   After sorting out your meds, sort out your rehab. Forget about reaching that magical number regarding your bend. Concentrate on strengthening, do that an everything will fall into place. Use the bike, the saddle should be as high as possible; so your toes are just touching the pedals, make the gears as low as possible, push down on the pedal with your good leg, your poorly leg is just there for the ride.  If you cannot do a whole revolution, go half way and then go backwards.  Just rock back and forth on the pedal; going forward just a little bit at a time, before you know it, you will be able to go a whole revolution.  just concentrate on pedalling until you are able to do it without pain, then shift up a gear. When that gets easier, lower the saddle a notch.  it's up to you how much you want to do, but, there is no rush, no race,just remember that you DO have to push yourself just a little.  When you are resting in the evening, then think about working on those muscles.  Lift, hold, lower slowly, bend, raise slowly and lower slowly.  all these are easy to do when you are relaxed and unstressed (I know that is not a real word, but it will do).  Healing can and will take a long time, but it is really not doom and gloom.  Everyday is an improvement.  Before you know it you will be hop, skip and jumping.  Sleeping can. Be an issue, learn to relax when you wake in pain.  Keep as still as possible and allow the pain to subside before moving.  Everyone feels like crying at some time or another, if it becomes unbearable, please speak with your doctor.  You are not expected to be in pain. Harangue your doctor is they don't/won't help you.  But everything you feel, every emotion you go through is normal.  You will get over it, but you do have o be strong.

Wishing you a speedy recovery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.