10 year addicting to Opiates

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have a chronic pain condition that my Doctor prescribes me Oxycontin for. I started about 10 years ago with Tramadol, I stopped that suddenly when I became pregnant with my son. It was torture but as I was pregnant I had to just stop! When I had him they reputed my bowels and I ended up with a colostomy bag and almost a month in intensive care. Resulting in me back on stronger pain killers this time with Oxycontin. I have now been on these for nearly 5 years. I started with 20mg twice a day and am now taking about 300mg a day. It has completely taken over my life. I am desperate to get off it. I have tried many times but always end up back on it. I have tried a few times to taper but always have a flare up with pain and end up back on them. I have never completely came off them. I am having a lot of other problems now though with fainting and weight loss along with low blood sugars. The doctors are adamant that my pain killers are not to blame for these other issues and they may not be, but I am convinced they are not helping. I think about pain killers every hour or every day. Today I have decided that I am going to taper and get off them for good. I have decided to post on here so I have some sort of support. I do not feel as if I can talk to many of my friends or family about it as they see me in a lot of pain and feel that I need to be on them for my pain. I know the phycological effect they are having on me though, and I despise it. I have decide to cut down just 10mg a day, does anyone think this is a good idea or have any suggestions for me. I went cold turkey with tramadol and it was horrific so I really do not want to go down that road again. I am going to start some meditation and yoga to try and help as well. I have read on a lot of sites about people using immodium for the lotradine in it that people say is an opiate but does not cross the blood brain barrier. Anyone any ideas on this? I am adamant to stop this time so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

1 like, 106 replies

106 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi.

I can almost guarantee you that a lot of the problems you are facing are down to Oxycontin. Even though some will say it isn't.

I was on this drug for 8yrs & when I stopped last year I was on around 1500mgs per day.

My GP prescribed me 800mgs per day but it just kept creeping up & up & up.

I'm now on methadone to get off it & I've reduced that from 115mils per day now down to 40mils. I know it's not about addiction anymore because I keep forgetting to take it.

Oxycontin destroyed my life. I was suicidal when I tried to come off it, my sex life was zero as my testosterone level was almost zero & the consultant said it was purely down to the Oxy.

I have severe mixed sleep apnoea where I stop breathing up to 80 x per hour per night, again, consultant says 99% down to this.

I don't want to do anything anymore, don't want to go out, don't enjoy things as I used too etc etc etc.

Anything I can help you with please ask

Take care

Ritchie xx

• Posted

Oh My God!!!!

Yet again waiting to be moderated, what is wrong with you people on here!!???

I haven't swore or said anything wrong!!

I thought this was a site to help people looking for help from those whove been there?

You people are incredible!!!!!

• Posted

Hi

My original post is waiting to be moderated so you will never see it!

This always happens on this site!

Because I knew they would I've copied the post before sending it so I'm gonna paste it to you in private message

Ritchie xx

• Posted

You idea to taper sounds good. Having just quit morphine cold turkey after nearly a decade, I don't recommend it, particularly if you have a child to care for and other health problems. 

However, 10 mg a day may still be too fast. Are your pills 10 mg in size? I would try 10 mg every four days to a week, it will give your body time to adjust. Are you still in pain? That is the biggest problem I am having (and that I only just got my first night of sleep in over three weeks, which can make you really crazy). 

It affects everyone differently, the drugs and the withdrawal. I would tell your doctor your plans, assuming you have one. They should be able to prescribe something(s) to help make your journey easier. 

Good luck for now, and please keep us posted. You have made a bold and brave decision, but don't kick yourself if it doesn't go as planned. I would take it a little more slowly. 10 mg would only be 3%, but as you get down to 100 mg / day it becomes 10%, then eventually 50% (to get to your goal). If you try to go 10 mg / day, slow the taper when you get to 150 mg, then slow further at 50 mg.

Unsupervised tapering or quitting are never recommended, but can be done.

Wishing you good health and the strength to succeed.

Judi

• Posted

Please take on board what Judi has to Say as 10mg per day is too much.

I know everyone is different, again, as Judy says but, it isn't a race just take your time, the main thing is you know what this legal Heroin is doing & has done to you & you're making the correct decision to "claim your life back" im sure you know what i mean by that!!!

This website is a right pain for moderating stuff they shouldn't but everyone is here for you.

Keep your chin up & take things slowly.

I did great till I got down to 320mgs per day, that's when things went really bad for me but, I kept fighting it to get my life back.

Keep us informed & all the very best

Ritchie xx

• Posted

wow you have been through a lot, I think tapering slowly is definitely the way to go, it really dosnt matter how long it takes the fact you have mentally prepared for it is a great start, it is going to be tough but you already know this. Like judi I would start with 10mg for the first week and see how you go, let your body adjust before tapering more. Magnesium for me was brilliant as it helps with muscle cramps and spasms, hot baths, ice/heat packs, walking even when you feel so bad it will help you sleep, keep hydrated and try and eat well, if the withdrawals become to much ask your doc for gabapentin this will also help with withdrawals and sleeping,.

I went to quick with my taper and I still suffer with PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome) a year on, there really wasn't any need for me to suffer but because I was so impatient I practically went cold turkey, if I had known I would never have done that. As for the pain you will have to try and find another way to deal with it, I still suffer 24/7 but I will never take another opiod for pain relief, I might be suffering but I have my mind and family and that's what keeps me going, we are here for you to help you through the tough times, I had great support from here  which got me through it. Good luck 😊

• Posted

Thanks. I work full time and have a family to look after so I am on my feet flat out all day. I really never have a time to go through withdrawal. I'm currently getting called upon by 2 of the kids but I will be back soon!

Thanks again .

• Posted

Go on Suboxone.  It's not an opiate and much easier to get off of.  It does help with the pain some.  When taking suboxone you can't use any type of opiate...that's the purpose of it.  You have to get off before it destroys your stomach on top of what you've gone through with your bowels....which is caused by the opiates.  I'm 68 years old and am still going through hell due to the opiates.  Please, please get off the opiates; they're a killer.  God's blessings.

• Posted

Thank you Peggy. Can you get that in the UK? I'm worried I get addicted to that as ive seem a lot of posts on here warning of it. My GP tells me just to simply taper but I honestly don't think they understand how hard that is. They just tell me that as I need it for pain I'm not actually addicted I'm just dependent! I know I'm an addict though. I think about the drug 24 hours a day.

Thanks for your help I'll look into it.

• Posted

I live in the US; California,  I don't know if you can get it in the UK.  It's a God send.  It's so much easier to get off.  You go off the opiates for one day and the doctor gives  you the Suboxone the next day.   It's a subliminal strip.  You just taper off to a smaller piece until you're off.   Please check with a pain management doctor and give it a try.  It'll save your life.  God be with you.

• Posted

I was working full time in law enforcement.  I was hurt on the job and have had both hips replaced and need back surgery.  That occurred back in 1992.  I raised 4 kids on my own without child support so I know the struggles.  If I had known back then the horrors of opiates; I never would have gone on them.  Please please while you're  young...get off the opiates; they'll kill you.  

• Posted

I have to agree, opioids are the devils work take it from me I have done withdrawal 4 times now and will never do it again.

Fentanyl x 2

Diazapam

tapentadol/palexia (the worst one yet)

I have been on so many others but had such a bad reaction that I never took them more than a couple of days...thank god😊

• Posted

Sorry not been back on. I'm actually doing really well. I have got down to 150mg a day just now. I know it's still a lot to take but I can't remember the last time I could take this amount and not be climbing the walls!!

I have been doing yoga every day, meditating every morning and night. I've just been listening to a guy on YouTube who's got a channel that really helps. I was struggling to sleep but that really helped.

The first 2 days were awful with cravings but that's really a lot better. Today I had 110mg and didn't even really want the last 40mg but thought I'd better take it so I slept.

The sweating has been horrific. I always have sweats in the morning anyway. But I'm getting them all throughout the day. And hellish headaches but Nurofen helps those.I really don't want to ask the GO for anything else. Has anyone done this without any methadone or similar?

The anxiety doesn't seem too bad yet. I've had a couple of moments where terrible anxiety suddenly comes over me where I get really hot and sheer panic kicks in. It can happen right in the middle of us all sitting eating dinner. Normally when this happens I'd go and take some shortec. But if I just sit and concentrate on my breathing and try and think of 5 things I can see, smell, touch etc. I used to think these things were a waste of time. But it is really helping me. I don't think I've ever really truly wanted to be open to other ideas to be honest. But this time I'm determined to stop. I really hope I can keep this going. It's really helped having everyone in here supporting me. Thank you so much.

• Posted

Youre doing really well as Caroline said, you should be so very proud of how well you're doing!!

Incidentally, did anyone see Louis Theroex on BBC2 tonight at 9p.m?

All about our beloved Oxycontin!!!

Be sure to watch it on catch up!!

• Posted

Wow Richie I watched it .

USA is so bad. They flooded socierty with oxy etc and then introduced new laws so anyone on them drugs turned to heroin ...

Do you think if our doctors stooped our meds tomorrow we would be in the same boat . It seems extreme doesn't but I'm in withdraw now and feel really nasty so I couldn't imagine how bad i would feel if I had no meds in my system ...

It's scary man I'm not happy I've been given this drug .. I didn't ask for this and I no you never .

🤕

• Posted

I've no idea mate really.

It just goes to show it doesnt discriminate!!

The things they said to Drs to get it passed the FDA was criminal in itself & to pay reps a $250k bonus!!

I even said no to morphine because the name frightened me, little did i know this was 2.5 x the strength of it 3yrs later when i was dependent on the stuff.

When i think i was put on 800mgs per day then taking closer to 1500mgs towards the end, im just lucky to still be here! At the end of the day, you 100% trust your GP!!!

Good luck with the phone call mate 👍

• Posted

Richie how did you function on that dose . What doctor would sign that amount it's the highest dose I've ever heard of . 300 is high. 1500mg that's so scary how are you still here mate .. The most I've took is about 250mg in away and that's when I was pre op and in major major pain.. The surgeon wasn't aware if my high dose and when I woke up I felt eveeythink so they put me back asleep . Basically I think I went thru an operation with pain relief as I was on more than they knew ... that was horrific ..

You must of been taking 20 tabs a day plus some .. Your A fighter mate that's for sure .

Stay safe mate I'll let you how I get on tomo evening ..

• Posted

Ive no idea mate thinking back!

I was prescribed 800mgs but & i remember you saying the other day how it might last you 8hrs but never 12hrs!

It lasted me an hour at most before i needed more! In the beginning it was for the pain but, towards the end when on almost double, i had to take it just to feel "normal" but, as you know, it isnt normal, its "our" normal mate!

The hours of research ive done on why i felt how i did & why i was taking so much, everyone is different & someone who could take 100mgs & pass out, some may not even feel it & some depends on your build etc.

I know my body just got used to it & at first, i needed more & more as what helped the pain in my back at the start, after a while it didnt hence taking more. But like i said, i was taking the stuff in the end, not only for the pain, but just to help me feel my kinda normal etc.

Which is why i went through withdrawals so many times, i kept running out early. Even after the 1st time of going through withdrawals & knowing its the worst thing ever & you say you'll never do it again, once you have all those boxes of Oxy to last you a month, they soon start running low & thats i guess, when i realised i could end up dead!

I'd lie to the GP saying i was going away with work as i had a good paying job, & my script would expire while away, and most of the time I'd get my months worth early. Even though i told my GP i had a problem, i still kept getting them which, was when i realised that i couldnt carry on & had to sort myself out or my gorgeous daughters would geow up without their dad & that thought would kill me so i guess i made a choice, even though the hardest thing ive ever done, my girls are my world & to think of them upset, spurred me on to beat it i guess mate.

You can do it mate, i know you can, you just need the right help to get your life back. As you said, neither of us asked for, or knew what this stuff was!!

I always said, my GP at the time put me in this mess that ruined my life, now i feel like they're sticking 2 fingers up saying "youre on your own pal!!"

Let me know how the phone call goes mate 👍

• Posted

Mate a said it all to get it early over the years ..

I'm running out but luckily enough I've got 28 put away for a rainy day fro.when reduced it right on my own so I can use them towards end of week . So I'm taking more than in prescribed which is the position to be in .. That's when you no it's out of control mate..

Take care mate

• Posted

Look after yourself mate. You'll get there!

If i can do it, anyone can!

Take care matey

• Posted

I didn't see it but I'll watch it on catch up. Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.