100% successful remeron withdrawal!

Posted , 15 users are following.

This is for everyone wondering about Remeron withdrawal. First off let me say stop with all these horror stories giving people false hope! I was one of them! I have withdrawal from 7 medications since August of last year, Zyprexa, Depakote, propranolol, Seroquel, Valium, Remeron, and Lamictal. I did all these myself and help of my faith, but back to remeron. I was on 15mg of Remeron for 11 years. Now it was much easier than I expected, but did have trouble with nausea, loss of appetite, insomnia, and anxiety. Now I cut the 15 to 7.5 for 2 weeks, for 5 days I had heightened anxiety, and for 2 weeks insomnia, and nausea. Now the nausea, and insomnia were easy. Zofran once a day, and Phenergan to sleep with melatonin. I’m also prescribed Klonopin so anxiety wasn’t much a problem. The best thing to do to beat insomnia, because it has been 2 months and I still kinda have it but take Benadryl at bedtime with gabapentin and melatonin. But don’t replace Remeron with another sleeping pill. Get off it with melatonin and Benadryl, and exercise. I’m only on 300mg of gabapentin, and that’s my next drug to taper off of, and I have found a way to get off that with no withdrawals. But that’s for another post. So do not listen to these stupid horror stories, I have gad, and I came off it smoothly, but you will need medication for nausea, and nothing better than Phenergan for night and Zofran for the day. I promise you, it was simple and I was on it for 11 years,2 weeks on 7.5 then jumped off. Do this on easy weeks. It’s not bad smile

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

All thsoe terrifying stories are the reason why i won't take it further i did try less than half of mirtazapine woke up  next day completely ill for the entire day didn't like it but worse was the scary stories was hard enough to get me to take fluoxetine but seems like fluoxetine is nothing compared to mirtazapine 

• Posted

I've been on fluoxetine for nearly 12 years.  I have had minimal side effects.  I take 20 mg/day.  Night and day compared with mirtazapine.  Mirtazapine was very hard for me to take.  Caused many significant side effects, even at 7.5 mg.  No longer taking it.  So you are correct, fluoxetine is a walk in the park compared with mirtazapine.

• Posted

I understand, but I promise you it can be done with the tips I gave you, I was on it for 11 years, and I have an extreme anxiety disorder. 
    • Posted

KMJ

You should not be promising people you can assist them in getting off mirtazapine by taking a long list of various drugs you took (list below), one of them being a VERY addictive benzo - klonopin.

And that they can do it in a very short time (2weeks).  They could end up in protracted withdrawal that lasts years, or kindled or hospitalized or worse.

1. Zofran 

2. Phenergam

3. Benadryl

4. Melatonin

5. Gabapentin

6. Klonopin

• Posted

Good evening Jo

My issue here is this list of drugs required to “successfully” stop using one drug namely remeron/mirtazapine  can hardly be described as a success.  Many patients would be unable to obtain such a pharmacy of medication in the UK from a responsible physician and more to the point, would not wish to do so.  My opinion is based on 12 months of interactions with fellow suffers and assorted professionals. 

Best wishes to you.  

• Posted

1000% co-signed with you on this,  Christine!  We’re very much in alignment. 

——————————————-

KMJ

I think we realize your “intentions” were for the good of people.  And that’s very honorable and shows your compassion because you were excited to share your positive results.  

But your account &  story is very much the exception, and advising others to follow your lead could result in irreverseable dier consequences for them and their families. I apologize if I seemed firm with you.

God Bless

• Posted

Your not seeming firm to me, taking anti nausea and Benadryl and maybe some melatonin is the key. I did it, went through it, and succeeded. But before I did I couldn’t find any positive withdrawal stories. So here is mine.

Ps I also stated don’t take sleeping pills to get off this drug, replacing this drug with another isn’t the way.

• Posted

I been on this medication for a month is have worsened my anxiety and need to figure something only kicker is I have epilepsy and going off this medication has to be monitored 
    • Posted

I’m sorry you have epilepsy, I had to have brain surgery to cure my seizures, and had a stroke on my left side during the operation, that’s why I have really horrible anxiety. My heart goes out to you, are you wanting off this drug, and does your de know if you are wanting off this drug?
  • Posted

KMJ

First, I’m very happy for you in discontinuing mirtazapine. However,  if I were you I would be a bit cautious  because withdrawal can still show-up even after 4-6 mos post discontinuance, although I  hope and pray that isn’t the case for you.

Otherwise, I would assume you “may be” in the lucky group who does not experience acute long lasting withdrawals.

I have been reading and researching mirtzapine and it’s withdrawals for well over 3 years.   Your post is setting unreal expectations for the very large percentage of people who do indeed experience acute mirtazapine withdrawal. 

Your example and recommendations for folks to do a 50% redux and hold for a couple weeks is not only reckless but could cause someone in the unlucky group to spiral into a crisis and eventual suicidal state.

Everyone is different when it comes to this drug. It is very potent and unpredictable which the medical and mental health community sadly fails to acknowledge or recognize.

Anyone contemplating or attempting to withdraw from mirtazapune should do so in an informed and very cautious harm reduction approach. This drug is no joke and has destroyed many lives.

• Posted

I’ve been off it for almost 3 months, post acute withdrawals isn’t real with this drug, ask your pharmacist, doctor, neurologist, shrink, therapist. Giving people false hope is wrong, I did this under supervision. You can find anything on the internet, anything.......
    • Posted

You wrote:

“I have withdrawal from 7 medications since August of last year, Zyprexa, Depakote, propranolol, Seroquel, Valium, Remeron, and Lamictal.

*I did all these myself*”

Then in a later post, you wrote:

“I did this under supervision.”

Which is it? 🤪

• Posted

The remembering was under supervision, I will be on klonopin for life, I have GAD, my dr told me to cut remeron to 7.5 for 2 weeks then jump off after two weeks and take zofran and phenergan at night. My point is you will have full blown withdrawals if you don’t take something to counter them, just like the flu or a cold you have to take meds to make it easier until it is gone. Same thing here, I wouldn’t suggest benzos, because that could turn into a much bigger problem. But no I already withdrawled and post accurate withdrawals are only for opioid and benzo withdrawals. But like I said you can find anything on the internet, if people and the fda went off so called facts off the internet then Advil will be banned. Have you withdrawals from any of the drugs I posted?
    • Posted

Remeron*
    • Posted

KMJ

The point about mirtazapine withdrawal is a person does not know if they’re in the “unlucky group” until it’s too late if they follow reckless advice like you’re dishing  out (large 50% percent drops and fast 2 wk taper time). 

And  the idea you’re equating mirtazapine withdrawal to having the flu in terms of how easy it is to solve, really does show me any further conversation we have is futile. 

I wish you luck and really hope you continue to feel better each day. But please refrain from recommending everyone jump off mirtazapine as you had done.  Because again, you may be the exception and not necessarily the rule.

• Posted

So you haven’t withdrawals from this drug, shows me you don’t have the experience. Just to much online reading. Good luck to you.
    • Posted

KMJ

I actually am in the midst of it (both a failed fast mirtazapine  taper/reinstatement in 2015 courtesy of my inept ex-provider & now a harm reduction taper).

I also belong to several Mirtazaapine withdrawal support groups. A few are FB-based, one where I Admin, dealing solely with mirtazapine withdrawal.

We created it because there was so much suffering and such a great need for “substantive” support, not just hand holding.

So you’re not surprisingly so very wrong on so many counts.

• Posted

What mg are you on and how long have you been on it? I’m here to help my advice isn’t wrong please stop bashing and blasting me, I used 2 drugs to get off of it zofran during the day and phenergan at night, all the other drugs I’m supposed to stay on from dr orders until he is ready for me to come off 1 more. If you’d like I can help you. Did you abuse remeron in anyway, what are your symptoms when you tapered down, and how much did you taper?
    • Posted

KMJ

Umm, absolutely no thank you. I’m doing great with my taper now that I know quite a bit more about mirtazapine withdrawal.

Again, I would strongly encourage you to refrain from telling people to jump off at such high percentage drops (50%) and such short taper schedule (2 weeks), and also using drugs (some addictive) to assist in such reckless taper practices.

Also, I see you are advising someone in this post that they are on a high dose of mirtzapine (30mg). 

30mg is NOT a “high” dose of Mirtazapine.

This is how mirtazapine is prescribed for future reference:

- 15mg and below is prescribed for insomnia, eating disorders (anorexia, etc.)

- Above 15mg is prescribed for anxiety and/or depression

So 30mg is a normal dose for what it is prescribed for, not high.

• Posted

Lol 😂😂😂😂😂  7.5 is for insomnia, lower the dose, the more sedating it is😂😂😂 45mg is the max, so yes 30mg is a high does, 2nd to the highest lol, and if you want to succeed with your taper, and get off of it then get off the internet, quit reading horror stories, and fueling your fear of trying to come off of it. Please call your dr or pharmacist for accurate information, like I said you can find anything on the internet, and if the internet was based on actually real facts, then Advil will be banned. 

And ps 

Lewy body dementia Is what killed robin williams 

• Posted

Right!

Just like “you did all this tapering on your own” and then changed it to “it was completely supervised”. 

Please refrain from telling people how to taper in such a reckless manner. I worry what may happen to those poor souls if they follow your advice. 

Just try to be more open to the idea that your story and your experience is not the rule, but the exception. Thank so much.

• Posted

I did under my drs orders, I wasn’t in the hospital, I went to work, took a zofran an hour before lunch, and phenergan and melatonin for sleep, and phenergan is also good for anxiety, it’s an off label use, but can help for your future reference while your tapering. Here is a plan for you, after 2 years on 30mg (high dose) my dr told me to go to 15mg, I didn’t even feel that drop, remeron stopped working in may of last year, dr put me back up to 30mg didn’t work, so I came back down to 15mg 2 weeks later no I’ll effects, my primary care dr wanted me off it completely, and I feel so much better than on it, so if your on 30mg and 25mg is to much of a drop for you, then drop 7.5mg for 2 to 3 weeks, during these weeks, drink tons of water, remeron is eliminated by urine waste, and working out is a plus for it relieves stress and releases dopamine into the brain, and helps with sleep, get a non drowsy anti nausea medication for the day, but if anxiety is to high, take a 6.25mg of phernergan it will help with anxiety and nausea, anymore than that will make you sleepy, stay off the internet and obsessing over your withdrawals, it will only make anxiety higher. When your brain and body adapt to the lower dosage, taper again, but keep using these steps and especially drinking tons of water, working out, mostly  cardio is an extreme plus. Do not use sleeping pills, benzos, ambien (etc) to replace your withdrawal symptoms, you will only be replacing this drug with another to get off later. I am proscribed all the drugs above for Gad and panic disorder.  Keep your mind on positive things, read the Bible, pray, and have the determination to get off this drug, don’t search for people with horrible trouble coming off, because it will rise your anxiety, like I said before if you don’t take meds for like a cold then you’ll get the full blown effect of the cold, just like with withdrawals if you don’t take medicine to help with the withdrawals then it can become unbearable. Everyone’s body is different, but doesn’t mean you can’t do it! Be motovitvated and stay strong! God bless.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.