10mg going on 20.

Posted , 8 users are following.

So today My Doctor suggested going onto 20mg Citalopram. I've been on 10mg for the last 4 weeks. During that time it has been a roller coaster ride to say the least. Still been finding too many doesn't days for my own liking. Bracing myself for the onslaught of side effects again, but hoping the drugs are going to start to kick in, and take effect. Will keep you posted. Will start the 20 on Tuesday or Wednesday. 

1 like, 101 replies

101 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It is good to let your emotions out. Remember it is the change in dose that is making you feel like this. Think of the way you felt this morning and look forward to tomorrow, it might be a long night but try not to worry about getting to sleep, do something to take your mind off thoughts, watch TV, read a book.
    • Posted

Cheers mate. Yes, the doseage change is playing with me too. Also, My work called yesterday, and were putting pressure on me to give some support from home, dispite my sick note. That's what caused me to spiral yesterday afternoon. I turned to the vino, and things quickly turned to seeming hopeless. It's a lesson I'm struggling to learn, but the booze messes me up, especially on Citalopram. I need to cut it out for a while. 
  • Posted

OK, increased my dose for a week now. By and large the side affects haven't been as drastic as the first time round, when I initially started citalopram. I have had the yawning, tiredness, difficulty getting up, ever changing moods, nervousness and restlessness, all to a lesser extent though than to what I was bracing myself for. With 1 major exception. "Increased thoughts of Suciade". This one I wasn't prepared for. All the leaflets talk about this being a side effect for the young. I'm a mere 40sometging, not in my teens. But last Thursday, 3-4 days into increasing my dose, but only 2 days into the full 20mg, I had an overwhelming urge that just came out of the blue. The day had started very well, and ended hopelessly lying on my bed, crying, balled up like a baby. As I said I wasn't prepared for it. It shook me up badly, and the next 3 days were low in the wake of this. Today I'm glad to report I'm feeling a darn lot happier. Maybe like the 20mg is starting to kick in. Feeling like I'm in a better place. I'm prepared for a few ups and downs over the coming weeks, but this up is feeling more genuine at last.

Take care.

• Posted

That's scary, that's why I fight taking pills, I'm afraid of the side effects and my husband isn't much support when it comes to my nervousness and i think that right there brothers me too. I'm only on 10 mg but so afraid to go up, thinking of coming down and quitting them all together!
    • Posted

Glad you are feeling better today E.L.R. I am a mere 50something and I ended up in a ball many a day or night due to really dark thoughts and other scary crap! However, I talked about everything with my partner (now Fiancee) and she helped me through. The wonderful people here too helped so much and I came to realise I wasn't mad, just ill and needed to get over the side effects and start out the other side. Well, 7 months later things are looking much better!

One difference, Cita inhibited my emotions in a way that I was unable to cry for 7 months and 1 week (the first time ever!!!) Saturday I did cry due to worries of my growing daughter (12 going on ?) and one of my niece's got married in Kansas. We decided to decline the invite as we did not know where I'd be with this, the fact I was signed off and money being tight on SSP.

As I increased from 10mg up to 40mg (in 10mg stages basically each month) the side effects got less and I have levelled. Believe me it is worth sticking with this "sticking plaster for the brain"

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

Hey ELR, how are you feeling no more issues with thoughts of suicide? I sure hope not! the brain can be very evil and send all sorts of washed thoughts like David said, hang in there look forward to hearing about your recovery smile
    • Posted

Does anyone know if I were to lower my dose from 10 mg to 5 mg will there be side effects?
    • Posted

Hey Stevo,

Feeling a whole lot better than the other evening thanks. No more thoughts. I am more sure again now that it was related to the change in my dose, together with a lot of stress and booze on Thursday. I'm very glad to say that I've passed through that dark place. I learnt a few difficult lessons for myself that day, and am trying to take the advice on here seriously.

Be stong, and take care.

• Posted

David,

I'm slightly envious of your very open support with your partner. My partner (civil partner) is struggling to cope with some of the things I tell him. I know that's not his fault, but it makes my sharing and the support received on here more important to me. I find I'm keeping a lot to myself when at home, and that's a shame I suppose. Hopefully I'll get more mental health support soon. Till then (and beyond) again thanks for your encouragement.

• Posted

I don't have any experience of withdrawing doses yet. I have read comments of withdrawal symptoms and of anxiety/depression returning. The best advice I can give is to discuss with your Dr, who can access this under controlled and agreed timeframes. Soy cindy that I haven't got more to add. Hope you feel better soon. I understand it can be difficult, especially without full support at home.

Please keep posting.

• Posted

David. Would love to hear more about how you managed to end the ties with your work. Did you get some charitable support?

My work have called me 3 times since I handed my sick note in last Monday evening. I was just out in the park, with the dogs going for a beautiful walk in the sunshine, when my mobile rang, and it was my boss. Immedietely the tranquility turned to stress. My anxiety shot through the roof. I started to have palpitations, and my mouth turned dry. Needless to say I didn't answer the call. From that point I stopped enjoying the walk. I'm on edge right now, and feeling stressed. I then started to get cross with the dogs, when in fact I was really cross with my work, and ended racing back home much quicker than I had anticipated.

At home I listened to my bosses voicemail, and returned the call. They need some help point in the right direction for the audit. I've now given my personal email account to them so I can filter the urgency of their requests, but this has stressed me so. Grr!

• Posted

You need to grab the reins with both hands E.L.R. and shout a big WHOA! to that stallion that is stress, otherwise it will run away with you and who knows where it may take you!

(One question does Cita cause over usage of cliches?!)

You employer has, legally, a duty of care to all its employees and they are certainly not showing you this at this very time. If your Doctor is as good as mine regarding "sticking plasters for the brain" side effects etc., then she or he will tell you to ignore them as they're prime objective is to help you get better. Your employer is not doing this, but you should respond to their messages (keep them all for further reference), but do not say anything for the moment, other than somehting like "thank you for your concern regarding my illness, but I have been advised to rest and am not, at the moment, ready for going out or visits" say nothing else.

Are you a part of a union? I wasn't (even though I fully support anyone who helps the masses) and wish I had of been because they would have sorted my bunch of eejits out for me thus eleviating the stress sooner. If you are not a part of a union then get yourself a good employment lawyer, you will, by the sound of it, need one eventually anyway! If you are in UK then almost all good solicitors have a free "surgery" advice hour one evening a week, go there first with a loved one or friend that fully supports you at this time, my Fiancee (then partner) did even though she hadn't experienced this before. She, like my Dr has and is amazing. This will help settle you for when finally you cut the ties. I have to say the way it sounds, you need to. Looking back when we started this journey, Ann (my Fiancee) did most of the talking as I was somewhere else with Cita and the whole stress thing.

For the moment talk to your Dr get she/he to be prepared to be approached by your employer in case they want confirmation of your illness. The trouble is (and everyone will agree with this) because we don't always have visable, obvious, signs of our illness some people do not understand or believe. Now if we had our heads wrapped in a bandage then thing may be different.

Until such time you are feeling better stronger and your way ahead may appear clearer, I would cut all unecessary ties with that which is making you ill! The crunch came for me when they started pushing toward a termination agreement because the 5 sometimes 6 people that were trying to cover my job, that I did with bugger all help, started getting "stressed" WELL, HOW STRANGE WAS THAT! Do you know they didn't at the time, nor have since, learned from their inadequacies and own stupidity!

And breathe ....

Keep in touch as I can help (now I have vented my feelings some what Lol!) keep posting, there are others that can help too. In many ways.

Rest do not answer work related emails, try and get it through to them you are ill and their actions are not aiding your recovery, but always be polite and never commit to anything without advice.

Regards and speak again soon,

David

• Posted

Diagnosed with stress anxiety related to my job. Have been signed off for a month. Offered Citalopram 20mg, took one yesterday, felt so ill, spaced, not in control. Reluctant to take them, however I have been reading all your posts and perseverence seems to be the key. I feel in a real dark horrible place, and my work want to do a home visit this week. Wish they would all go away. Feeling very low at present. Hopefully I will take a tab tonight as I did not relish the experience of them in the morning. 
    • Posted

How long have you been on 20 mg and did you start out on that dose?
    • Posted

Just yesterday...............:-( never been on anything like this in my life....but I know I am unwell and something has to give!
    • Posted

Right, me too but I've been on clonazepam for years now but that was ordered for insomnia bit I've been told by my doctor that I can take it during the day if needed for my anxiety, well wish that were there only pill i needed for anxiety but she seemed to think the citalopram is better but 9 weeks on it and I'm more anxious now than ever, was on 5 mg first 5 weeks and now 10 mg for the last 4 weeks, hoped it kicked in by now.
    • Posted

.but I will persevere, many report great things on this drug, others, not so good.......I just feel so scared and jumpy all the time, not wanting to go out, and becoming detached from life in general. Hope you get the results you need. :-)
    • Posted

I was diagnosed with work related stress 7 months ago and last month me and that which made me ill (my job) went our seperate ways! They settled up, as the 5/6 people trying to do my job were getting stressed and they needed to rethink the whole position. They tried contact meetings home or out, but I just refused on Doctor's advice as they made me ill and would only screw up me recovery. Honestly like you I wished they would all go away - and now they have!

Every thing you have put in your post is so like you copied one of my early ones so, I can empathise with you 100% The side effects and the ups and downs were tiring, but by being here with help and advice or even just a chat I have managed to get through to this point. My partner and aforementioned Doctor have been fantastic, especially as my Doctor knows a lot about "sticking plasters for the brain".

I am now out the other side the buzzing/ringing has gone and tomorrow she may start (hopefully) reducing me, but this may take just as long as I increased to 40mg.

I also started taking my tab at night as I was getting multiple and very vivid dreams and some kind soul suggested let it do its job while you're asleep and the dreams may slacken off too! They did! Mind you at first I could not forget to take them before bed as an hour before I'd start to get low and foggy!

Email you work and say that on Doctor's advice you are not up to seeing anyone at the current time and need rest. Leave it at that then at least you have replied to them.

Try and be positive even about the negative way you are feeling. I found everytime I came through a downer I thought "good on you!" Remember your anxiety levels will increase as this is the way Cita treats anxiety - by causing it!

Keep in touch Jen you'll need support from us that have been there (and are still here!) you are in the best place for help, advice, a chat or a virtual hug!

Be strong and forget about work!

Regards, David

• Posted

Hi Jen, I've just started on 10mg inceasing to 20mg in 3 days. When I took my first pill, I took it on an empty stomach and felt really nauseous and headachey. I take mine at night and I'm on night 4 tonight. Haven't felt sick since the first pill and I make sure I take it after having some food. Try taking it at night and see does it help. You and I are early days with the cit so keep in touch and we can share our experience. Hope you feel better soon xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.