10MG propranolol withdrawal

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just joined this group hoping for a clear and concise answer. Ive been on propranolol 10mg once per day since august. However now I want to come off it. When I first started it I stopped it after a few days because the affects were crap. Nothing bad happened however I have been taking since august now and spoke to my DR who tbh is useless he said take one every other day then one every two days and so on. What would you good people recommend 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Don't really know what to say, I've been on a tiny dose of atenolol, a similar beta blocker, for a few years, and once or twice I've tried to discontinue even that, when symptoms seemed to have also checked themselves, but each time after a few days symptoms started to return.  Now, my symptoms may be congenital and I've always had them but mostly ignored them, until just a few years ago, so your mileage may vary.

?But I'd look to cut down the dosage slowly, over weeks, to see how it goes.

• Posted

Hello Jelley93...You have been on Propranolol since August, which is only about 3 months. Beta Blockers cannot be suddenly stopped. You must wean. At least you didnt' take it upon yourself to stop the meds, you consulted your doctor. Some  people take a dangerous approach by stopping medications without their doctor's knowledge.

Your doctor's suggestion about how to wean off is a rather good one. You could also do this:...take 3/4 pill for a week, then 1/2 pill for a week, then 1/4 pill every other day for a week...then stop. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.