10mg to 20mg citalipram after 7 days

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all. I've been on 10mg for the past week and by the advice of my doctor I'm to go up to 20mg. I've only just started to have the side effects ware off so I'm concerned it's going to make me feel terrible again. Any advice or experiences shared would be helpful. Thankyou. Leanne

1 like, 21 replies

Report / Delete

21 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I would also like to know this. I am in the same situation. I am going to be going to 20 mg starting tomorrow after being on 10 for 2 weeks and I am really worried about the side effects getting worse. They have been bad enough already and make me feel really bad in the mornings. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Leanne I can't remember the side effects as I've been on them a long long time. I don't think you have to worry too much I don't think you will notice a big change. Hope it all goes well for you. All I can say is take it all in your stride you will start to feel better. Good luck

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You are definitely not alone. 10 million prescriptions were given out last year but when u suffer you feel like the only one. I have a good life , good job and a good family but going through a relationship break up after 22 years. That was enough to tip me over. Although I have had about 8 episodes since I was 18. Now 47. Every time u feel alone with it but promise you are not !! U will get through this. I set up a support website to tell my story to try to help others. It's mainly for men as we don't talk about it enough. Hang in there. Life gets back to normal soon. Just see the next few weeks as an opportunity to take some time out. Ride the roller coaster. It will come to the end soon. Promise xx

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Don't suffer alone Leanne, there is always help out there not necessarily from your gp - Mind are very good. 💖

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thankyou. I do have a councillor so hopefully having her to talk to along with taking medication will help. I find alot of peace in these forums also knowing I'm not alone xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That's good leanne, your definitely not alone I used to think that many years ago but now that I'm older & mental health affects so many people these days. Life can be hard at times & it's just a part of us. Nobody is perfect there are so many illnesses out there mental health shouldn't be looked at any differently. Stay strong you'll get there. 💖

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes, I do too find it so helpful being on here. I think those like Rachel can help us a bit. Sometimes we don't know what is happening one day to the next. When I went from 20 to 30 I could not remember any side effects the dr said they had been in my system a long time about 6 months as I recall. After getting back on full strength a month ago, I still get dizzy and the tingling in the arms but I think we just have to do what Rachel said and take if all in stride. I keep reading that even those who came off for a while and went back on go through it all again because they know the outcome will be better. Just have to keep staying in touch on here for that support and encouragement. Jo x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Jo

I could write a book on depression & anxiety - I've been for every kind of help - you name it & I will have done it. I'm still here to tell the tale. 😊 I can't lie depression & anxiety has ruled my life for over 20 years I feel robbed but I'm now 47 & will not let it rule my life anymore. But please do not suffer in silence I say this to anybody suffering like I have there is help out there - I've been let down at times but there is help out there - to meet other people who suffer just like us. I'm tired of this illness but I will never give up I will always fight it. Do you know that anybody who suffers with a mental health illness are one of the strongest people around. I believe I'm a strong person after all the years of fighting & overcoming such a horrendous illness. Take care & believe in yourself. We are who we are & we keep fighting this horrible illness. 😩

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Keep going Leanne

You may experience some More, I am not sure. But Keep Going.,,

20 mg is the usual therapeutic starting dose and I am unsure why they don't just start at that. Yes the side effects are awful and I didn't feel better until after6 weeks when the light started to come on

I almost gave up but had been thru it before 

Am six months in again for second time

Never should have come off them

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Am sure it does.....

Everyone is differant however and it may be quicker for you.

The first time I was on this in 2013 I felt allot better after 2 weeks and I was so disappointed and dispirited that I didn't this time 

I can only think that I had left it too long to seek help , I had fallen too far.

I was a real mess

I fell into my Gp surgery to try bring my apt forward ..it was ten days later

The receptionist recognised my distress and gave me an apt an hour later

For which I am so eternally grateful...

But yes it was a good 6 weeks and I had to seek constant reassurance from friends 

I thought I would never turn that corner

The hole seemed so dark and difficult to climb out of

I would feel better then worse

But I had been here before and that overrid the doubts

But it was tough!

keep at it keep going

Just also remember however that when your feeling fine stable and grateful, that the reason is, your on the drug! And don't be tempted to think oh am fine now, and stop.

You will get there I promise 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thankyou Gillian I really do appreciate your posts. Today I'm feeling really low and keep crying, I just keep trying to tell myself it's just the Meds stabilising but it's hard when feeling this feeling of dread, doom, angst and fear. I know theirs got to be light at the end of the tunnel I just don't see it yet. This medication is such a roller coaster it's leaving me drained. People like you inspire me and give me hope that their will be better days. Thankyou x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Stick at it Leane. It takes time. I have just past the 2 week point and just starting to come through it. I have just been signed off work for another 3 weeks by a very understanding GP. Trust u will get through this. There are millions of us out there going through the same as you. The medication can make it feel worse but stick with it. There is light at the end. It just takes time. Be gentle on yourself. It feels a very lonely scary place right now but it does get easier in time. You are not alone !  It's ok to cry.  It's your body's release valve. Easy now !!!  

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thankyou for your reply stand up, can I ask what you was given the medication for, I have really bad anxiety and a fear of my intrusive thoughts to the point of being scared to be around my family because I'm scared to hurt them, my biggest fear is hurting my family so I think my Anxiety has picked up on that and uses it against me. I'm such a gentle loving person all this is not normal for me. I'm so scared of who I am right now x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Acute anxiety which I have suffered from before. Lots of events but ultimately it was a work event that tipped me over. Most people get fixated on one thing but it's different for everyone. Yours has become a fixation on family and I bet the thoughts are worse in the morning than in the evening. This is a chemical reason in the brain to do with cortisol and seratonin levels. Try not to panic. As u said. U are a loving person and would not hurt anyone but the thoughts feel very real. It's almost like being possessed but u are still u. I find mindfulness helps and talking to people. Look up local support groups. It takes effort but as everyone says. It will pass. U have a bit still to get through as u are still early on the meds. I have been through this 5 times now and each time there are different anxiety focuses. You WILL get better. Only time and being gentle on yourself will heal. Keep at it x 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up