10th week on citalopram, had my first anxiety attack tonight :(

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was in the car on the way home from picking an order from a friend, less than 10mins from home I had an attack in the car. I'm on my 10th week of citalopram, I've been ok on the medication but I still don't think it's the type for me. Anyone else have some hints/tips?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You have only been on Citalopram 10mg for about 2 and a half months. Citalopram 10mg is an extremely low dose and it won't help all that much until you up your dose to 20mg, and even then it'll take a month after you up the dose till you really notice it. You probably know this by now, but Citalopram 10mg is just a starting dose to get your stomach used to the medication.  Maybe it's not for you, but the other options aren't a whole lot better so I'd stick to Citalopram for a while. No Anxiety medication will stop 100% of anxiety attacks. I still have them on my way to work all the time, but the Citalopram has made it so it's not nearly as frequent as it used to be. 

• Posted

You can recover on any milligrams..I recovered on ten milligrams..and still on ten milligrams..
    • Posted

Sorry to break it to you but the opinions you are leaving are totally wacked..I only give folks my experiences..and aside from all that there isn't a spelling bee on here that i am unaware of is there???you are giving folks advise ..and so I'm I..you ain't no better with your miserable sarcasm..

• Posted

And also I don't sugar coat anything on here ..there's lots of folks on here that use ellipses..I don't have to explain ..I tell it raw...this is a forum ..and that's all it is..and me recovering on ten is just and example that anyone can recover on ten..my phychiatrist has folks recovered on 5 milligrams..and yes every one is different.and like Ruth says 40 is the highest milligrams..so get it together..

• Posted

And also I don't sugar coat anything on here ..there's lots of folks on here that use ellipses..I don't have to explain ..I tell it raw...this is a forum ..and that's all it is..and me recovering on ten is just and example that anyone can recover on ten..my phychiatrist has folks recovered on 5 milligrams..and yes every one is different.and like Ruth says 40 is the highest milligrams..so get it together..

• Posted

There are many factors that are involved when taking these, including age, weight, how long you have been on them, interactions with other medication including herbs.  Everyone can react differently to these, like myself who is extremely sensitive to any medication.  20mg could be a high dose for some people and not others.
    • Posted

forgot to mention 60mg is no longer given as can be dangerous.  40mg is the maximum.
    • Posted

Your the one that seems bother not me iam just replying I don't what country your in but 60 is a no-no.the one that looks like and idiot is you.with your fowl language and all .talk about a troll on this helpful forum..I think you need the 60 milligrams .you sound like an extreme case..just from you posting these hateful comments on here you won't get any where..and guess what take your hate and shove it where the sun don't shine you miserable vile human..

• Posted

Your the one that seems bother not me iam just replying I don't what country your in but 60 is a no-no.the one that looks like and idiot is you.with your fowl language and all .talk about a troll on this helpful forum..I think you need the 60 milligrams .you sound like an extreme case..just from you posting these hateful comments on here you won't get any where..and guess what take your hate and shove it where the sun don't shine you miserable vile human..

• Posted

Hi Chendrim

I don't want to get involved in any arguments but I used to be a nurse and we used Mims to look up meds.

In November 2011, Mims published an article stating that the maximum dose for Citalopram was reduced from 60mgs to 40 mgs because there was no advantage in taking 60mgs as opposed to 40mgs. Furthermore, for persons over 60 years, 20 mgs is the recommended max dose.

Spare a thought for Lauren who, if you hadn't noticed, hasn't replied to any of these posts, I hope she has not been put off by all of this arguing. Reading this I expect she is wondering why she bothered posting at all.

Take care everyone, life is too short.

• Posted

Chendrim, shame on you for your terrible insults and trying to convince people that 60mg is safe when the proof is on medical sites all over the internet.
  • Posted

This isn't uncommon. And you don't have to go higher than 10 mg. Both times I have recovered, I have done so on 10mg dose, the 'therapeutic dose' differs for everyone... Agree with Lois. I'd stick with what you are taking for now, as recovery takes months not weeks. I wonder what's making you feel its not the medication for you....? Are you having other side effects?

• Posted

You can, but most people move up to 20mg at least. There are people that have to go as high as 60mg. Most people can barely feel the effect of 10mg citalopram like my mom, she has 40mg citalopram and she didn't start getting better until she was on 30mg. As for me personally, I barely noticed the effect of 10mg as well but started recovering after I went up to 20. Also by recovering, I hope you realize there is no 100% cure for anxiety. On a side note your grammar is a little flawed an ellipsis has 3 dots not 2 so it would be... instead of..  

• Posted

I should add, I'd stick with where you are now unless the attacks become more frequent.... but hopefully it was a one off. That does happen.

• Posted

60mg isn't recommended any more.... Maximum dose of cit now is 40mg. You could ask gp for an emergency benzo, just so you have back up at times of random attacks (bearing in mind it may never happen again.) My gp prescribed beta blockers, which I have used twice when racing heart was freaking me out at work, so that's another possibility.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.