10yrs of 40mg Fluoxetine - my withdrawal

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 28, and I've been on fluoxetine for ten years. Most of the time taking 40mg.

I've stopped it cold turkey as of a month ago when I found out I am pregnant.

Currently going through so much dizziness it's untrue.

Anyone come off this drug after so long taking it?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Congratulations on the pregnancy :-)

Cant help on that question sorry. Just wondered why you'd come off the fl u ox? It is supposed to be safe in pregnancy and is given to pregnant women. I would have thought withdrawal is hard enough but pregnancy affects your body in so many ways cold turkey is a big step to take.

All the best

Vix

• Posted

Hi vix

I watched a documentary on ssri anti depressants and it spoke about a number of babies who were born with problems and all their mothers had been taking fluoxetine - even though doctors say it's the 'safest' one a pregnant woman can take.

So I just don't wanna risk anything at all, I decided to come off it completely. I didn't even wanna risk taking a small dose, or weaning myself. I'm a worrier! X

• Posted

Bless you thats such a brave move! Hope it all goes well for you.

X

• Posted

Hi Sab.

I have been on Fluoxetine for 15 years and have tried to come off them 3 times. I'm usually fine to start with but three months down the line I basically feel as if a train has hit me. I breakdown in tears and I feel so anxious and terrified. I go back to the doctor and they put me back on them. I have come to the conclusion that I will be on them for life now!

Please be very careful about stopping them. Take the advice of the doctor because you need to feel good during pregnancy. I understand you don't want them during pregnancy but a plan to reduce them slowly is a better way. Please chat to the doctor hun.

Always happy to talk.

Helen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.