11 weeks and still can’t lift leg off bed

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am exercising and going to the gym. I still cant lift my leg off the bed unless i use a belt to lift it up. When I do lift the leg I get pains like shin splints. I am doing exercises for my quads. I made a mistake of not focusing on my quads initially. These shin splints wake me at night. The surgeon had problems with my knee cap as it floated off to the side. Today at the gym an acquaintance who hadn't seen me in a couple of weeks commented that I wasn't improving since she last saw me.

Anyone else experiencing similar problems? I find it very depressing.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i am 9 weeks post patella fracture still unable to lift leg butimproving and doing the bike I AM TOLD TO BE PATIENT

• Posted

KATHLEEN. i think mine is a patella problem. it feels like it has slipped back to the side of the knee as it was prior to surgery.

• Posted

after thinking about your comments...perhaps...because my patella was moved...thats why I'm still not able to lift the leg....makes sense..i guess i do need patience

• Posted

Hi Jean, I have been to see physio today, i am 11 weeks and i agree it is very depressing, i still have a lot of pain. I Can manage to lift my leg but it is so stiff in the morning. I think the only thing is to keep on with the exercises, as my PT says it is down to strengthening muscles and keeping tendens working and that this will take time. Are you taking pain meds.? Keep your chin up Jean, i am fed up too.

• Posted

HI FED UP GIRL....My surgeon only gave me a 2 week supply of pain meds and told me after that to take tylenol extra strength. He is afraid of addiction. My last knee surgery i had all the pain meds i needed. i think this is part of my problem. My last knee surgery was 11 years ago and i was dancing at 5 months. thanks for the positive words.

• Posted

Hi Jean,

I am in the same boat with the pain meds. I also feel that's why I am struggling with my second knee. No pain meds and still a lot of pain. Aleve /Motrin not working, gave me gabapentin for nerve pain not working and makes me dizzy. I am 6 weeks and still can't sleep. I have made an appointment with my GP to see what he can do about the pain and sleep.

Good luck!

Melissa

• Posted

Hi Jean, I would speak to your GP about pain meds. i am 11 weeks and still have 30/500 co codamol which help a great deal, i hope to be dancing after my 12th week but i'm taking it slow my PT recommends swimming so going to try that next week, i wake up very stiff and in pain but i am hoping that will go with time. Don't be too hard on yourself. Good luck

• Posted

A two week supply of pain meds and then just Tylenol? The doc is DELUSIONAL!!!!! The typical path is an HD opioid (Norco, Vicodin, Percocet, etc.) for a month to six weeks and then going down to Tramadol for a while and then Tylenol or ibuprofen (Tylenol is for pain; ibuprofen for inflammation). Very few people get past the worst pain in just two weeks...almost no one...especially when you start the PT work for your ROM (first 3 months). No one gets addicted in 60 days, especially when you're gradually reducing the dosage and transitioning to the Tramadol. You need serious pain management to get through this.

• Posted

I agree with you Chico, i just could not manage without pain meds and my GP is happy to prescribe them i also have breakthrough meds. I had a hip replacement in June and managed to come off the meds easily as soon as the pain subsided

• Posted

I went to water aerobics as soon as my scar had healed , about 6 -7 weeks helped a lot

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that, be patient and keep trying, i'm almost 4 months from having tkr , my issues are still stiffness and some pains here and there, if your shins still hurt a lot i'd speak to your surgeon. Good luck

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that, be patient and keep trying, i'm almost 4 months from having tkr , my issues are still stiffness and some pains here and there, if your shins still hurt a lot i'd speak to your surgeon. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.