11 weeks in and still suffering.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all.

I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

I have a long history of generalised anxiety and have been on and off of Fluoxetine for about 15 years.  In October I suddenly started to become very anxious again and started back on a daily dose of 20mg.  After 6 weeks and no improvement my doctor increased the dose to 40mg every other day.  I have been taking this increased dose for 5 weeks.  Currently I seem to be able to go about 10 days feeling ok, but then have 2-3 days feeling really anxious again, to the point of having to take Diazepam to relax and Zopiclone to sleep.  I have also seen a counsellor who has instructed me in EFT (tapping therapy) and has suggested listening to Holosync audio.  I've had a couple of stressful issues recently with surgery back in September, starting a new job in the New Year and more surgery scheduled for March.  Researching about anxiety on the Internet suggests accepting your feelings and not fighting them is of benefit, but I find this extremely difficult to do. Some words of reassurance would be good or should I see if my doctor will up the daily dose to 40mg.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Chris

Sorry to hear you're suffering.  It takes longer than 6 weeks to feel some benefit from this medicine, and often upping the dose early creates more side effects.  You do seem to be feeling some benefit at last though now, and it's quite typical when recovering to feel good for a while then dip down again.  It'll probably do that for a while until the down times get less and less in length and severity.

Acceptance is indeed the way forward.  Whilst you wait for the medicine to kick in, just accept everything that is thrown at you at the moment.  It'll all ease in time. People often feel the benefit of the medicine around 2-3 months, but benefit much earlier, some later.

As you recover you be up and down for a while, but eventually the down times will get less until they are no more.

Lots of things upset our moods, but even more so when we're not well.  This medicine will work for you in the end.

Acceptance ...... a hard word, but a good one.

K xx

• Posted

missed a bit....

some benefit earlier, some later :-)

• Posted

Hello Chris,

hopefully you will find this forum as helpful as I have, I was so alone with my thoughts and my 20mg of Fluoxetine that I did'nt know which way to turn, fortunately my doctor mentioned this place and here I am now over 8 weeks later. I can understand the worries of a new job etc and the surgery issues too, I had such a problem workwise a few years ago that I packed it in and went self employed! hours to suit mysely, no bosses looking over my shoulder. It's easier said than done accepting your feelings and not fighting them, it's a battle that's fought on a daily basis' To the extent that I got to a certain point in recovery and then seemed to go downhill aways so last week my doctor upped me to 40mg per day, day 3 now with no noticable improvements as yet but no major side effect issues either which is cool. As I say there are many lovely people on here all with words of reassurance and encouragement who will welcome you with open arms, and hopefully help you. Caio for now smile 

• Posted

Went to bed feeling calm and relaxed but woke this morning feeling very anxious and panicky.  I hope these feelings pass soon.  Am going to contact my doctor to see if I can up my dose to 40mg.
    • Posted

Chris

This is normal feeling like this ...... up and down during the day.  It's how recovery works.  You'll also get days of feeling good followed by days of feeling down.   People often make the mistake of upping their dose thinking their meds aren't working, but they are.  This up and down period just needs riding through just as the side effects were.  Eventually the good feeling will stay longer and longer until the down times are no more.  Upping the dose will give you more side effects and you'll have to get through all that again and arrive back at this up/down phase again.

Hope that makes sense.

Of course, different doses suit different people too ...... 

• Posted

Haven't had a down day this bad for a while. Cannot relax despite trying EFT and breathing exercises.  May have to resort to a 2mg Diazepam tab, although I normally only resort to these just before bedtime of a down day, to try for a good nights sleep.
    • Posted

it must be infectious Chris because I'm having much the same kinda day, debating heading back to bed...
    • Posted

Yes sometimes during recovery you might get a really bad day.  It's horrible isn't it ...... they appear out of the blue.  It should pass ...... just such a pain having to wait.

I feel for you.  Hope you feel ok soon xx

• Posted

Hi chris

The fact that youve had ten days or so feeling ok is of great encouragement to me! Im just starting wk 9 and not sure ive managed that but it is getting better. I think its maybe hard to judge at this time of year as we're out of normal routine, seeing people we don't see often and making an effort to be in the christmas spirit which adds a kind of pressure of its own, especially when everyone around is feeling jolly.

I hope today is better for you and it was just a blip, you sound like youve done so well with everything you've had to contend with. I think we do need to understand the symptoms of this illness side effects of the meds and accept them for what they are rather than worry theyre caused by anything worse but I agree its not easy when theyre happening just so long as we remember most of these feelings are "normal" for this process.

If you continue to feel worse go  back to talk to dr and discuss your options, they may feel a change of dose or even meds is requires but seems a shame to upset your system when youve come so far. Different opinions on here about whether to persevere or make a change. I had 8 wks on citalopram which worked v quickly for me once before but this time made me feel totally wiped out ans didnt relieve my worst symptoms so changed to fluox but in total its now been 17wks , went thru side effects again and only recently started feeling better so dont do it lightly is all id say.

Good luck n hope your good days have returned already

Best wishes

Vix

• Posted

Hi chris

The fact that youve had ten days or so feeling ok is of great encouragement to me! Im just starting wk 9 and not sure ive managed that but it is getting better. I think its maybe hard to judge at this time of year as we're out of normal routine, seeing people we don't see often and making an effort to be in the christmas spirit which adds a kind of pressure of its own, especially when everyone around is feeling jolly.

I hope today is better for you and it was just a blip, you sound like youve done so well with everything you've had to contend with. I think we do need to understand the symptoms of this illness side effects of the meds and accept them for what they are rather than worry theyre caused by anything worse but I agree its not easy when theyre happening just so long as we remember most of these feelings are "normal" for this process.

If you continue to feel worse go  back to talk to dr and discuss your options, they may feel a change of dose or even meds is requires but seems a shame to upset your system when youve come so far. Different opinions on here about whether to persevere or make a change. I had 8 wks on citalopram which worked v quickly for me once before but this time made me feel totally wiped out ans didnt relieve my worst symptoms so changed to fluox but in total its now been 17wks , went thru side effects again and only recently started feeling better so dont do it lightly is all id say.

Good luck n hope your good days have returned already

Best wishes

Vix

• Posted

Dr has increased the daily dosage to 40mg starting from tomorrow.  Hopefully in time this will give me some relief.  Will keep you posted.  Yesterday was awful, today somewhat better. So onwards and hopefully upwards.
    • Posted

glad to hear it Chris, that's what happened with me, th 20mg only got me so far in 8 weeks then hit a brick wall called David, so I'm on day 5 of 40mg, you're catching up! good luck with it, it's a slow process....
    • Posted

Hope it works out for you chris :-) please do let us know.

Vix

• Posted

Hi chris

Hows it going on 40mg? Im at ten weeks 20 mg n feeling a bit stuck, physical stuff mostly gone but butterflies all the time (im assuming thats anxiety?) And blues/sadness just shadowing every day. Dont have diazepam just propanolol which doesnt seem to help butterflies much.

Not sure what to do.

Hope youre feeling the benefits by now

Thnx

Vix

• Posted

Hi Vix,

What a difference over the past seven days.  Last Sunday I felt awful. On Monday the Dr increased my dosage to 40mg.  I still felt slightly anxious on Monday, but probably because I had an outpatients appointment following up on an operation I had in September.  Tuesday onwards I've felt pretty good.  I don't know if this is down to the upped doseage or the fact I am now on week 12 and getting the full effect of the Fluoxetine.  One Dr I saw recently did try to put me on propanolol but having taken it in the past I found it didn't really do anything.  Diazepam is very effective for me on bad days, but some Drs are reluctant to give it.  If I were you I would try what my Dr suggested and alternate between taking 20mg on day and 40mg the next.  I did this for 5 weeks before going up to 40mg daily.

Hope this helps and you start to feel better soon.

Regards, Chris.

• Posted

Thanks Chris.  So great its worked out for you so well:-) perhaps I should stick it out til wk 12 which isnt long but seeing dr in a wk so will see what she thinks. 

It is a great help to me, this site has been invaluable to get a proper insight into the whole thing from people who have or are still going through it otherwise I would totally clueless as who else can you ask??

Thanks so much, hope the good feelings stay with you from now on.

Take care

Vix

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.