11 weeks on citalopram

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Ive been on citalopram for 11 weeks now (5 weeks on 20mg, 6 eeeks on 30mg). I'm starting to eventually feel some improvement, but mornings are still awful. I wake up with anxiety and feeling sick. I was wretching every morning but for the last week I've managed not to. I still have no appetite at all and can only manage toast or a sandwich on an evening. I'm still feel g the anxiety particularly in my tummy. I know it's slow improvements but I'm getting really fed up with not being able to eat and the physical symptoms.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

l am glad u feeling better, u are not the only one with loss of appetite, it seems some people are affected, l would advise u to ring your Doctor, 10weeks is a lot.
    • Posted

I've told the dr every time I've seen her and she isn't concerned. I've lost nearly 2 and a half stone!

• Posted

Hi Victoria

I m over 14 weeks. 1 on 10, 1 on 20 then 6 on 30 then month on 40 now 2 weeks back on 30.

Like you I do feel some improvement but it is very slow and I keep getting blips. 40 was too high for me and really set me back. I sometimes have an appetite but never in the morning, I still wake up constantly and get some morning anxiety and break through anxiety through the day some days worse than others. I don t understand how some people seeem to recover in a few weeks. I also ferl exhausted quite a lot but then I do have a nearly 9 month old son.

I m glad we are both showing signs of improvement just wish it was quicker. I m sure I set myself back by going up to 40 for a month then back to 30.

Let's stay in touch x

• Posted

Hi Victoria, it's like your just writing about me! I'm only on week 5 of citalopram but have terrible morning anxiety with wretching and no appetite. I can only manage toast and a high vitamin drink, and find meal times are giving me a panic attack in themselves having to think about forcing myself to eat. The last two days though I have managed a little more food and the morning anxiety has been more bearable. I can't think positively though and am convinced it's because my husband is at home this week. Are you working at the moment Victoria?

Sara x

• Posted

VICTORIA

Little steps make larger jumps, somtimes it can effect the need for food, try and eat properly and if you are still having problems talk to your GP. Put your mind at rest read the leaflet in the tablet box, check for contraindications

Keep a hold

BOB

• Posted

I got fed up with all the side effects of this drug.  I am now coming off them down to 5mg a day not and feel much better in myself.  
    • Posted

Hi Alex

Can you tell me more.

I m thinking of coming off or going down.

I feel dreadful. Been up to 40 then back down to 30 in last 14 weeks.

What were your side effects ?

How do you feel better ?

How long were you on it ?

Sorry for all the questions just so confused.

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I had been on them for 3 months. I had been through every kind of dizziness you could think of. I had a feeling it was the tablets and was prepared to start coming off. I'm down to 5mg now. I've not really had any side effects to be honest. Maybe a little queasy for a few days and a few mild headaches, nothing that paracetamol couldn't deal with.

My dizziness went on day 3 of reducing, my mood has elevated and I feel mark with every passing day. I will deal with my issues using CBT and other therapies but feel that the meds didn't do a great deal for me.

• Posted

I ve also been on them 3 months and the first 7 weeks were good but then it got really nasty. Feel they worked in reverse. Just when I should have started to feel better I got worse.

Were you on 20mg ?

Did they ever feel like they were helping ?

How long did you stay on each reduction ?

I too am having therapy.

• Posted

I was on 10mg and the plan was to go up to 20mg. I went on them in July cause I was ill every single day with anxiety symptoms. I started the tablets and got worse for two weeks, MUCH worse. I put this down to the initial side effects. Then I started to get a little better progressively but was never really ME.

I could never really tell what was me and what was the tablets. I was feeling dizzy everyday upto a few weeks ago. I reduced by 2mg for 2 weeks and now I'm on 5mg. I intend to go on 2.5mg next Thursday for two weeks. Surprised by the lack of side effects so far. I knew that the money I was taking them the harder it will be to stop. That is what drove ne to stop. I feel so happy now in myself.

• Posted

If you are not comfortable in your own skin discuss the medications with your GP.

As mentioned before I started taking this drug several years ago and yes there were problems as I began taking them, this cleared and now the contraindications have stopped and now I am fine with the drug. To be honest I would act up personally if I needed to change as I would need to possibly go back to problems associated with feeling rough.

If it is really bad talk to your GP and try and discuss an alternative treatment. We are all different with complex needs and expectations

BOB

• Posted

Do yourself a favour dont seek help or advice on forums ..see your gp ask questions, get information from reliable sources like ' mind ' or ' nhs ' or ' the royal psychiatric society '.

Some people on here speak absolute garbage, it will only confuse you.

Meds and therapy are tough work ...is it worth it ? ...who knows, all this anguish for what ? ..to feel better ? Hands up who even knows what feeling better feels like, because I dont.

I hope you get some peace of mind in your days x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.