11 weeks post right TKR ... update and moving ahead

Posted , 13 users are following.

Dear fellow TKRs

It is almost 12 weeks since my TKR and at last I have really turned the corner and am feeling way better.  Like everybody else, it has been a rollercoaster of pain, heat, swelling, lack of sleep, nasty drugs and occasional bouts of self-pity and depression.  BUT, it is a new year and I walk with no pain, the swelling is well on the way out though there is still some, some heat but much less, still take painkillers like paracetomol or co proxamol up to four times a day .... but no more really nasty stuff.

I generally sleep ok now, though for a while I found a pillow between the knees good, then gave it up and have now gone back to it. If I wake and the knee is hot, it is not hot enough to bother icing it.  Occasionally I use an ice pack during the evening while I watch tv.

I have had some complications with my back; I had a two level lumbar fusion back in February and the knee/back combination has been difficult at times but I think things will settle as I walk better and with better posture.

The TKR was supposed to be a doddle compared to my back op. but as you all know, the reality of TKR is a hard, painful, emotional slog.  I pray to goodness the other knee does not catch up as I hope I don't ever have to go through it again.  On the other hand ......... take 10 to 12 weeks out of your whole life and come out of it with a less painful knee, even if it feels 'odd' ... it is worth it in the end.

This next bit of recuperation must be to get fitter, lose some weight and use my new mobility to best advantage.  I have a 115 degree bend, can walk around quite well now, cooked Christmas Day lunch and did not have to retreat to bed for a couple of days afterwards to recuperate.

To everybody out there suffering, afraid, despairing etc .... hang in there as there IS light at the end of the tunnel!

HAPPY NEW YEAR

3 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That is so comforting to hear.  You have done well and have given hope to me at 5 weeks and in pain.  Good luck to you 
  • Posted

I'm so pleased you are doing so well. You sound so positive. I echo what you have written. At 3 months plus (I don't count the weeks now) I feel exactly the same. I only take pain killers because of my back, not my knee. I think that the total repositioning of the body catches up with a weak spine, but swimming, walking and my lovely osteopath help.Now that I can walk more and the posture is improving the back is getting there too. Happy new year to you and all the other posters. And I hope the more recent tkr's will be given a little comfort from your post
    • Posted

Hearing you as well carol had given me incentive. I went to physio today and am not doing as well as expected.  I need to walk more and keep up with exercises ( not easy with lack of sleep and pain).  I feel positive and it's the start of a new year so I must work at it.  Hearing your stories has given me hope.   Good luck to you too.    
    • Posted

Hi Susan, 5 weeks is very early days but the exercises are vital. I was 9 weeks when I had my final visit to my consultant. I was without sticks and tried to be as upright as possible, very important as it's too easy to get into the habit of stooping over on the sticks. I was surprised to see a lady who had her op the same time as me was still using crutches. Her husband told me that she just wouldn't do the exercises. At your stage I couldn't imafine sleeping through the night without pain or walking on my own but you will get there. Before 6 weeks I was driving, I was determined to go and see my new grandchild, and that got me out of the house and  lifted my spirits. It does hurt, Nothing  I have experienced before has hurt so much, but as we.ve said before on here, no pain no gain. Good luck withe physio, you are sounding positive and determined . Go for it and you'll get there.
    • Posted

Thanks Carol. I think I had a much needed kick up the backside today and I hope by Monday week (my next physio) I will have got there.  I have no excuse now!!
  • Posted

Well done, that's really positive stuff😄 I am now at ten weeks and although evenings and sleeping are still painful, today I walked the dog for over an hour with no pain and prior to my operation I was lucky if I could walk for ten minutes without being in agony.

You are right about it being a nasty operation, and I certainly won't be rushing back for a second TKR in a hurry, but I too will soldier on and lose some weight and make the best of being more mobile in 2015😄

• Posted

Well done Glenda. An hour at ten weeks is brilliant! I still have an ache after an hour but i wouldn't call it pain,not compared as you say, before the op and the first few weeks after. It's lovely to read the success stories on here. I'm sure it encourages others and shows that there is light at the end of the long tunnel.
    • Posted

Oh well done Glenda!! a whole hour ! I am going to try a half an hour tomorrow you see these posts really encourage me all so very optomistic well done people.
  • Posted

Hi.... happy new year to you too....  i am glad thibgs are going well fir you

I am 17 weeks post tkr and still in pain.... can't walk without one crutch or a stick.... The side of my knee is really painful... especially on waking up or after sitting for a while... muscle spasms that can last over an hour ... and back pain.... right ray of sunshine me eh?.... just wondered if anyone else in the same position at this stage in recovery... getting a bit fed up now. 

• Posted

Hi Mary, sorry you are still suffering, I am 20weeks now and feel I plateaued around 16weeks. I walk without pain but feel a little anxious and unsteady. Some days I feel great but it doesn't last. Xmas day went out all day with family really enjoyed it but really wanted to go home. New year went with family to a hotel wonderful time but again out of my comfort zone, quite unsteady again and do not know what is causing it, feel as if I need someone to hold on to. I am getting really bad back ache round my hips which doesn't help. I don't know why I have taken these steps backward. I want my old self back Mary and I don't know where she's gone. Take care my freind I am as fed up as you tucks
  • Posted

That's brilliant and encouraging for us following you. Our knees were done to help us and the alternative wouldn't have been good sometimes we forget that. Looking forward to good sleep pain free days and no crutches. It will happen. Well done you. Keep up the good work 
  • Posted

I too am at 12 weeks post op today.  You are describing everything I have been through. I too am feeling much better, can go up and even down stairs now normally (not like a toddler).  Still have a bit of pain in the day but can move around with much more ease. I now have my independence back.  Pain in night is pretty hideous though and my GP has now given me amitriptyline which I hope will work. Can't believe the difference that has occurred since the 10 week mark.  I was told recovery would take a long time but I have found it difficult to cope with the emotions and pain. Appetite back at 10 weeks and I can drink my favourite tipple red wine now. I went off it completely but the upside is loss of weight. So much nicer to enjoy my food now.  
    • Posted

I liking this thread more and more. You sound like you live upto your name. Well done for getting through the tough the times
  • Posted

Happy New Year to you too pebworth and so glad to hear how well your doing, I am three weeks behind you so when I hear of such progress I am really encouraged. This is the best time of the year for all of us to loook ahead with confidence but I agree,what a journey its been for all of us.This week I will get back to swimming and stop eating for Britain smile Good luck to you.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.