11 year old vomiting after every meal for 2 months

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi. My 11 year old daughter has been vomiting for at least an hour after everything she eats for 2 months. The gastroenterologist is struggling to diagnose her. She has had an endoscopy, barium meal and blood tests with normal results. She even vomits after water. She initially lost half a stone but she's been prescribed Scandishakes and is keeping enough down to sustain her. This is having a major effect on her life and we are at our wits end. Has anyone any experience of this?

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi lor1311

Has your daughter been tested for food allergies/intolerances9 such as gluten, wheat and lactose...perhaps she should be referred to a dietician. Also, has she started mensturating it could be hormonal imbalance has she had her hormone levels tested imbalance can cause stomach upset. Also has she had her vit D levels tested low levels can cause digestion problems. Try keeping a food diary to see if there are any food triggers that cause her vomiting. Also, has she been taking antibiotics recently which also can cause stomach upset by upsetting gut flora by killing off good bacteria and may cause stomach candida.......just a few possibilities mentioned here......hope you get a diagnosis

• Posted

Thank you for your replies. She hasn't been tested for allergies/intolerences apart from Coeliacs. The Consultant was reluctant to try an elimination diet as he wants her to keep as much down as possible. He has prescribed some steroids which she is starting today in case an allergy is causing a problem. She hasn't started her periods so I will ask about a hormonal inbalance. She's had lots of blood tests but will ask about Vitamin D too. It's heartbreaking to watch my daughter going through this....

• Posted

One way of looking for a food intolerance is to eliminate only one food item at a time such as milk rather than a number of foods all at once. If it is not that, then reintroduce milk and try cutting out something else. Only eliminate the food item for one week. If a reaction shows up eliminate that particular food. If no reactions occur. then simply put those foods back in her diet. Since your doctor has not come up with anything, it would still be worth a try.

• Posted

Hi lor1311

What steroids is she on are they 'prednisolone' these have bad side effects if taken for a long time..how long is she taking them for?..i would try getting her tested for food intolerance and get her tested first for allergies (not just in case she has allergies) before letting her take steroids......

• Posted

The steroid is Budenofalk which he has prescribed for 3 weeks until we go back to see him. I think I will go back to the GP and see if she can refer her somewhere for allergy testing. The Consultant nor the GP have ever seen this before. She finishes what she's eating and immediately starts throwing up small amounts, but keeps on going like that for up to an hour and a half. She has also had an MRI brain scan which was also clear thank goodness.......

• Posted

Hi lor1311

I can't say i have heard of Budenofalk, but a steroid is a steroid. Have you read the instruction leaflet for the side effects. I am not telling you what you should do but if it were my daughter i would most definitely get her tested first because steroids are very powerful drugs. I cannot fathom why your doctor has prescribed this medication without a firm diagnosis, it's a bit backward. In the meantime, while you are waiting to go back and see her, i would suggest, if you and your doctor agree, to give your daughter veggie and fruit smoothies mixed with yogurt containing cultures instead of solid food so she will get nutrition and vitamins. You will find lots of healthy smoothie recipes online. If you do not have a smoothie maker you can get nutritious ones already made up in bottles in popular supermarkets. Just half a glass to begin with and build up to a whole glass because perhaps her digestive system cannot digest solid food. I do hope you can get the allergy/intolerance tests done asap..it must be very stressful for you and your daughter.....keep us posted...😊

• Posted

Hi lo1311

I judt researched Budenofalk and it is for treating inflammation of the stomach and diahorrea, does your daughter have a bad stomach and diahorrea?....as well as sickness..this medication also causes upset stomach and sickness...which she already has. As all steroids they compromise the immune system and the patient becomes prone to catching infections after using for some time. Have a word with your doctor and discuss these things with him. He obviously is thinking 'Crohns Disease' this has to be diagnosed via an endoscopy and other tests. Try giving her gluten free foods and see what transpires she may have a gluten intolerance. You can buy gluten and wheat free foods in a popular supermarket beginning with 'T' on their 'free from' section ...but still try the smoothies if agreeable to you and your doctor...

• Posted

Hi Mary19068. Thank you for your help and advice. No, she doesn't have any other tummy troubles, just the vomiting. She doesn't even have nausea. He said if the steroids are going to work, we will know pretty quickly. There is no change yet. He has only prescribed them for 3 weeks, but if there's no improvement after a few more days, I'm going to stop them. I don't like the sound of the side effects either! It's so hard to withdraw any food as we are desperate for her to keep as much down as she can. As you say though, think it's worth starting with gluten free to see if that helps. Thanks so much

• Posted

Hi lor1311

Just happy to be of some help..☺..i agree to stop the steroids if there is no change in a few days, especially as your daughter has not been given a firm diagnosis as to what is causing the vomiting and she is sooo young to be taking steroids if they are not really necessary, just to see 'IF they are going to work.'Good idea! to change to gluten free no harm in that to see if it has any affect. If there is no change after a few weeks try gluten free with lactose free products which can be found in same supermarket in 'lactose free' section. Does your daughter vomit after eating sweets and chocolate or is it just foods?.....I do hope you get some positive results with gluten free foods...keep us posted.....good wishes..😊👍

• Posted

Hi Mary19068

Yes, she is sick after sweets and chocolate. She is so fed up. Thank you. Will keep you posted.

• Posted

Hi lor1311

Sorry to read your daughter is still having problems keeping food down. When you see your doctor suggest an Ultrasound scan to see what is going on in her stomach and digestive system. Is she still taking the steroids? I do feel for you and your daughter it must be sooo stressful for you both, i hope 2 weeks go by quickly so you can see your doctor and request and ultrasound scan....

• Posted

Have you tried a food diary and has your doctor done a stomach emptying test to look for gastroparesis?

• Posted

Thank you, I don't know how to go about a food diary as even water comes up! She hasn't had a gastric emptying test though....

• Posted

Simply write down everything she eats and note down her reactions.

• Posted

Hi lor1311

i think you should go for an another opinion from any other doctor. i know maybe u are consulting the best gastroenterologist but sometimes it is necessary to take a second opinion. don't take any chance because health is a very important .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.