12 days post op total knee replacement. Don't feel good plz help

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had total knee replacement 12 days ago. My doctor put me on percocet, the last dose I took was at 5:30 this morning. I've spent the last couple days feeling very foggy and kind of put of it. I have hardly any strength in my hands, I get dizzy very easily and feel like I'm going to pass out, my heart starts pounding really fast and my ears have been ringing. Physical therapy has been a nightmare, I cannot do straight leg lifts because it hurts too much inside my knee to do them right now. I haven't hardly been out of bed in 2 days because I'm afraid I'll pass out. My eating habits haven't been good since my surgery. Some days I have an appetite and some days I dont. Is any of this normal? Will I be ok or are things going wrong?

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Please call your doctor. He is the best one to judge.
  • Posted

Istari

This is all normal and I know it not fun. But I would check about your meds maybe you something different, you really should not be that out of it.your appetite will return make sure to go to the bathroom (if you know what I mean) meds constipate re all bad. That should help with your appetite. I know it's hard I had both mine done in January and it still a struggle for me some days. But it's gets mostly better every day.

• Posted

Talk to your Dr. There a lot of pain meds that can work without feeling sick or out of your head. Let them know of your concerns and I'm sure they make the proper adnustments
  • Posted

Percocet may not be the drug for you.......there are other options.  Hang in there.  Loss of appetite is not unusual, just stay hydrated and eat what you can.  You must get up and move around to keep that circulation going and avoid blood clots.  
    • Posted

Do you know if it takes a while for the meds to get out of your system? I haven't taken the percocet at all today, except very early this morning and I've been out of it all day, ears ringing, heart pounding.. I'm scared really and wondering if I should have my husband take me to the er.
    • Posted

I was given Percocet too.  Had halucinstions  Can still remember every second of the two of them.  Was feeling lousy, and got taken to emerg.  I Had blood clot behind the knee just replaced.  Different things can happen, told it was surgery and not DVT problem.  Thing is, you need to know if it's meds or what do you can deal and not worry.  There,s enough to cope with without added anxiety.  Go see your doc or go to emerg Sunday if your hubby is home that day.
    • Posted

I just know that I cannot drive within eight hours of taking pain killer....per my doc. You must do what you feel comfortable doing.  With these symptoms the ER DOES NOT SEEM UNREASONABLE TO ME.
  • Posted

Istari,

Call your doctor. Let him know how the medication is effecting you.

So, here we all are suffering with knee pain. Not fun at all.

So, I'm going to add to the mix. Last Thursday, saw an orthopedic surgeon. I'm diagnosed with a torn menicus, inner left knee. He puts shots in the knee .

His exact words, "If you were 20 years old. I would do surgery. Your older and your recovery would be 50/50. I am using a conservative approach with injections every three months." No pain medication, no physical theraphy. Left me in outfield. Having major pain.. Can hardly walk. You all know the feeling.

What kind of pain meds do you take? What kind of exercise do you do.

I have a job standing on my feet six hours a day. Any advice you can offer would really be appreciated.

Trudi D

• Posted

Not to be personal but how old are you. We've had people from 20's to , in my case, late 70's. Not knowing the entire story but I've never heard a Dr make a statement like that. Where are you located?
  • Posted

Hi Istari,

No, I don' t mind you asking. I am a young 68. I am in Chicago area and yes my doctor said exactly what I quoted.

Didn't mean to rain on your parade by injecting my own problem in your post. I am just incredibly frustrated right now.

Call your doctor, take it easy.

Feel better,

Trudi

• Posted

I was the one that asked that question. Personakly, I think I would be asking for a 2nd opinion at a new Dr. If you can look up David......he's the Chicago tennis pro.....he just had a tkr and was having difficulty bringing himself to undergo tkr. A couple of days later he was ready to testify his surgeon not only could, but did walk across Lake Michigan......albeit at the narrowest point. I'm in KC and I won't bore you With the details but have had 11 surgeries on my left leg.....including 5 complete rehabs. I had 5 before moving to KUMed, a teaching university med center. Lot of difference between surgeons. Medicare is more than willing to cover 2nd opinions. Stay in touch with this group as they have all been through it and you can get a snapshot view of the worldwide views of knee problems and solutions. As far as injections.....at their optimum they are temporary and just prolong unless the situation is unusual. Last year I had a reoccurance of staph and had to have the prosthesis completely removed and then had to wait 4 months to get the new one. I was on a walker bouncing and twisting putting all 4th e strain on my good knee. I had it so inflamed the Dr finally gave me a quart of the good stuff and its kind of often me by for 90 days but by mid summer when I see him next I expect to get stabbed again. Many worry about the pain from injection but in comparison to the rest of the pain I've been through, not a problem.

BTW.....I think I mentioned, I'm now 79 and started this miserable journey at 65.5.......4 months before retiring. Some are proud of their 1 gallon blood donor marks......I'm just over the one gallon pain med consumption and according to medicare, I proudly possess a million dollar knee/leg and the med center refers to me as a 20 year annuity. Lets hope we cal all give you enough input to help you get some better answers

• Posted

Oh my God you have gone thru so much. And you still have a great sense of hhumor. Million dollar knee and 20 year annuity. You made me laugh. Thanks. When I went to the doc had some swelling and pain. After the knee shot, I cannot stand on my left leg at all. The pain is excruciating. I don',t think this is what should be happening. So off to the ER I go tomorrow with a copy of my xrays. They will do an MRI, give me pain meds and a knee brace so I can stand up on my job Monday morning

If I remember from one of Dave's blogs, there is the worlds greatest knee surgeons right here in Chicago. Dependibg on what the big guns in the ER tell me, I"ll contact David's doc. Believe his name is Goldstein.The next time someone wants to inject my knee, they are going to ice the knee for 30 minutes before. Anything to help the cause to avoid that torture..I always like to have a plan.. You know something funny. When I was 16 years old the ligament and cartlidge was completely removed from my right knee. It has been bone on bone for 52 Years and other than a little ache now and than it doesn't bother me.The doc I saw Thursday told me that knee will need to be replaced. I told him not in this lifetime. If it's not broken leave it along

Thank you for all the information you shared. I just never understood how complicated the knees can get.

May your Higher Power bless you and everyone else in their suffering.

Trudi in ChiTown.....GO HAWKS!!

• Posted

Check you blood pressure. My sister had this issue.
    • Posted

I'm at the ER now, I couldn't take it anymore so my daughter brought me in. My blood pressure looks good. I'm just laying here in misery waiting for my test results to come dback. My ears are still ringing and I still feel awful my lower leg and foot still numb and burning all at the same time. I really wish I had not had this surgery. I was in pain before yeah, but I felt normal, I didn't feel all this awful stuff

• Posted

They'll let you know but the meds could be pushing you into dehydration which creates all kinds of problems. At least you are in the right spot. Hope the admit you to get the pain Dr's included. Keep us advised
    • Posted

Nothing like a Friday or Sat night in ER. Where are you located? Major city hospitals an trauma centers even slower. A year ago this past thanksgiving weekend (friday after tgiving) I got to ER @ 9 a.m. with a staph infection. Finally got admitted to the hospital @ 9:30 that night. They had to do all the blood work over several times and then take everal vials of fluid out of the knee and run that through the lab. This hospital is the only true level 1 trauma center in the metro so about 7 p.m. the victims of crime and serious traffic accidents starting being dragged in by the police and ambulance. Looked like a TV drama. They screaming and wailing made the place almost worse than being home and in misery. Good look. Sure they will get you under control soon
    • Posted

Good decision. Your in the right place. Tests will identify reasons for all the symptoms you are suffering Try to relax as much as possible. Keep us posted on what they report.

We're all cheering for you. smile

• Posted

I am home now. They did a ton of tests. Blood work, urine, CT scan, xray of my chest, ultrasound of my leg. No blood clots, no sign of PE, no infection, and my blood work came back fine. The only thing the doctor could think of is the percocet. I've been taking 1o MG every 4 hours since I got home on the 15th. They said that I could be having delayed reaction to the pain med and I told them I've got norco at my house prescribed to me for the pain I had before surgery and they suggested stopping the percocet and switching to my norco to see if that helps. I took one norco when i got home and surprisingly enough I feel fine. Ears are still ringing but the dizziness is gone. I'll be making a phone call to my doctor Monday to let him know that the med needs to be changed because that's most likely what's causing it. The extra pain in my knee I think was caused by the physical therapist manually forcing my leg into a straight position (I can bend but cannot straighten my leg nor do straight leg lifts due to way too much pain ) I have noticed a big increase in pain since the PT started coming to my housee. Yes I need to exercise but my joint isn't out of condition, it's injured and from what I've seen forcing severely painful exercises leads to more swelling which means more pain. Just my take on it
    • Posted

So glad you're home and ok. The PT will be painful - according to my PT and surgeon, the most important thing right now is getting range of motion back, which is that painful stretching. Meds and ice, and a bullet to bite on! If we don't put up with the pain now, we will be left with a leg that doesn't work right. 
    • Posted

You are on the right track. Again, make sure you are hydrated to the max.when you think you've had plenty of water, drink some more. As far as getting the leg straight and all that pushing. On your own try this no impact, no pressure activity. Lay face down crosswise on the bed with you leg hanging off slightly above the knee. Let the weight of the leg gently pull down as you relax. When it's as far as it will go......hold to count of 10. Then roll to your side and relax. Now do this for 10 times. You will feel the soft tissue in the leg stretching. The end result the leg is getting straighter without any manual manipulation. Another good one that is a natural process. Laying on your back, place a small rolled towel under your ankle so your foot is 2 or 3" off the bed. Now start gently tightening all of your quads then gently lift your leg as far as you can and hold to count of 5, then slowly return to the bed. Do 10 of these and work up to a set of 3. These will tighten, strengthen and straighten without someone pushing you beyond your limit. That forced manipulation style of therapy went out years ago. Asknforca new therapist if this one won't change. You, as a patient are entiltled to therapy without pain. Be sure to ice immediately after you've finished with these
    • Posted

Going to try that myself.  Hardest one is getting that back of the knee stretched.  Used to put my ankles on footboard of bed, or sofa arm and let the leg hang briefly.  Hurts, but as you said, you have to get all your leg stretched to work.  Lifting your leg up and down or bending it backwards is only half the problem people!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.