12 days post PKR a bit dissapointed

Posted , 10 users are following.

So I'm 12 days post op with my PKR I can walk around the house minus crutches, go for a walk outside and lift my leg, just been for my first physio and have come away feeling a bit dissapointed as they said I should be at 90• bend and I'm currently 75• I've come home after them manipulating it and am in agony - I know it's necessary but just feel as though I'm never going to get there. So frustrating as I thought I was on track. I now know to get on track it is going to be an excruciating process. How did everyone else feel at this stage ? 😔

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there - you are in early days - do your home PT(physio) and keep doing what you are doing - ice, rest, elevate - you will get there - all Normal!
    • Posted

Thanks Jeanie

Having a bit of a tearful day after my pt visit

X

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your painful day an d there's loads of good advice for you on here but I will tell you my experience good physio whilst in hospital bad after after 3 visits I signed off I was not happy about them forcing palm down to get extra I was in agony for days after with no sleep I did my own physio 3 times a day I have now 150 bend 0 flat and doing all sorts of jobs in the house no bother started driving 2 weeks ago I'm 14 week's post TKR I say listen to your body take your meds ice 3 times a day especially before bed soft cushion under knee for bed but then again it suited me I am 75 years old I didn't expect miracles but looking forward to having my other knee soon AND with more confidence and yes I also had weepy times it comes with the recovery hugs xxxx

• Posted

Mary thank you so much for your comments as I have said in my previous replies they have given me hope. I have said many times over the last few days I am 49 and I genuinely have such a respect for someone older than myself experiencing this surgery I genuinely don't think I could have you are all amazing ! And thank you

• Posted

12 days out is so early, my gosh.  You need to rest and do the exercises they recommend.  I'm 15 weeks out and still working on that bend.  I used to,come out of PT in tears so it's normal.  In hindsight I wish I'd suffered a little more in the early times to improve my bend,  it's much harder when you're not on painkillers. 😋Hang in there, it will positively get better.  

• Posted

Thank you all your responses have made me cry all over again but have given me hope ! I thank you all
  • Posted

12 days is very early days indeed , you have had your knee joint taken apart , rebuilt and put back together . You don't recover from that as easily as you do from a paper cut . It takes time , physio , ice , pain relief and patience . Do your physio as often as you can , but don't over do it , moisturise your scar area as well . We all have different recoveries , some worse than others , don't be bullied by the physios , they are not the ones in pain . You will get there , I did 19½ & 17½ years ago and have had no problems since .

• Posted

Thank you all your responses have made me cry all over again but have given me hope ! I thank you all
  • Posted

Oh it's so early! Have a bit of a cry... I had some mega down days....they come, they go... decide to get worried at six weeks post op if not 90 then, and just keep doing all the exercises...it will come...

• Posted

• Posted

Don't lose heart. I have had two TKRs in 3 months and am 2 months post op the second. The first Physio visit is always the most disappointing. Keep doing the exercises. Keep bringing your heel up to your bottom. It is amazing how quickly the bend improves over the next couple of weeks. I am already riding my bike again. Very carefully much to my families disapproval, but it is good exercise for me. I was disappointed when I first tried and had to give up for 10 days, but I am back again. I am 67

• Posted

Don't let that professional BS get you down. As well as you are doing, the rest will come with time, work and patience. That's their way of motivating you and to me, its wrong. A much better way is to give you a big atta boy/girl, keep up the good work and here are some things that will help get you to 100. Having been through this so many times, I find working with positives so much better than with negatives. Everyone goes at the pace the body allows. Slow and steady is the best. Just be sure and walk properly. Slow, heel, ball, toe and stride. You'll find you'll be increasing the numbers steadily

• Posted

Thank you "crying again" now lol but in a good positive way ! X

• Posted

It is very early so it is difficult to say other than I've followed this forum since my op almost a year ago I can say everyone is different. I think the key thing is what was it like before and for how long? For example I am 67 and mine hadn't bent much past 90 degrees for at least ten years before. Despite a lot of hope and a lot of physio it is exactly as it was three weeks after the op - still 90 deg. The surgeon and physios have given up on it now. But hey, I am pretty much pain free and can walk and stand for much longer so it was a success and this was just a bit of a disappointment.

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for coming back - like you for me the constant pain was a big deal I have been in pain since 2012 - was on pain meds through the night and various gels just to be able to get any sort of sleep. So I'm hoping that will be gone - I think it has just currently replaced with the post op pain. The pain from physio today was off the chart though tomorrow is another day so hopefully will wake up with renewed vigour - thank you for sharing your story with me it gives me hope

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.