12 month wait to see a psychological therapist for an assessment !

Posted , 5 users are following.

My doctor has referred me to a psychological therapist , but when I phoned them to make an appointment I was told there is a 12 month waiting list . Is this normal ? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

HI Joanne.  Yes it can be.  I had to wait around that for my counselling.   Mental health is the poor relation of the NHS and consequently there is always a lack of funds.   It's not right but that's the way it is.   If you can afford to pay you would be better off.

Otherwise there might be a depression group locally you can join,  Check out 'Mind'  'Sane'  ect. in your local area.    Good luck.  x

• Posted

There are local support groups. I found a few when I looked online all within about 20 miles of where I live. I went to check one out, and they have different groups meeting throughout the week for a range of different mental health issues, and its relaxed, anonymous if you want, non-judgemental, not connected to the NHS.  Ok, Id have to pay to get there and I dont currently drive, but about £10 travel fare is a lot better than £40-£50 for a private session, and its talking to other people who are going through similar issues and can support each other, which I think is much better than oe-to-one sessions anyway.

Look online and see what you can find.

• Posted

Waiting times vary across the country, but generally speaking mental health services are chronically under-invested in and it leaves patients with ridiculous waiting times.

I had to wait a year for my psychology treatment after being referred.

The whole thing is a bit of a mess really, in my case I got referred by my GP, had to wait 9 months and then saw a psychologist for all of my allocated sessions (ab

• Posted

Posted that too early!

Waiting times vary across the country, but generally speaking mental health services are chronically under-invested in and it leaves patients with ridiculous waiting times.

I had to wait a year for my psychology treatment after being referred.

The whole thing is a bit of a mess really, in my case I got referred by my GP, had to wait 9 months and then saw a psychologist for all of my allocated sessions (about 16). Then I had to be re-referred back into the system and wait another year for the psychology treatment I'm currently receiving.

My psychologist has already told me that after our sessions end he wants me RE-referred in AGAIN. Which will be another long wait.

It all adds up to a rather disjointed service unfortunately which neither the patient or practitioner are happy with, but there just isn't the funding.

I agree with looking into charities etc, I've had some amazing counselling through local charities and their waiting list was only 3 weeks. There's a lot of services out there you've just got to hunt them out! Saying that my GP signposted me to a lot of them as she was aware a year long waiting list was a tad ridiculous!

Maybe your GP could help point you in the direction of some charitable services?

Good luck! Fingers crossed you get seen earlier then expected.

Xx

• Posted

I was told by a psychologist that the only way you get immediate psychiatric support is to go to the ER and be super honest about your problems.
  • Posted

Good morning

i know how you feel  i have suffered depression for over 6 years and still have not seen a therapist, also have been in hospital due to overdoses and self harm.

ive now just changed meds again and still awaiting help i give up it seems we have only to help ourselfs i hope you get the help you need soon,

• Posted

This is absolutely abnormal. Go visit someone else. If you want to wait for that long. Your wish. After all, you're going for a mental therapy..!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.