12 Week in on Citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

Today marks the 12 week on Citalopram. I thought I would be better but just not feeling the best still. Should I go back to my doctor and see if there is something else that can be done? They have helped as my anxiety is a little more controlled but still have the feeling of being lost. Life just seems very weird to me and the purpose of life makes no sense. Time seems to just move on and peoples lives move around me but I am in a stand still. I dont feel any emotion for anything or anyone.Couldnt even cry if I wanted to. Does this all seem like the depression/anxiety or is it something else I should be worried about? I drank for the first time in 3 months this weekend. Could that be adding on to my anxiety? I slept like crap last night and only got 2-3hrs of sleep. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Most certainly. Drinking and lack of sleep are major anxiety triggers.
    • Posted

Thanks Nicki. I just dont feel myself and havent for a long time. When I had a few drinks it seems I forget about my anxiety which is always nice. I just want to be my old self that would go out and want to do things. Now I just seem like I am in a bubble and not knowing what is going on ever.
  • Posted

Hi. I'm on week 13 and last week it was like my anxiety came back like before I went to docs and they have put me on 10mg of amitriptyline to take at night. I've slept better but feels like I'm having a few side effects again I don't know if that's normal or if I need to change meds I'm also on citalopram 20mg thought it was working until last week sad xx
    • Posted

ya same for me. People say you have blips but I hate this. Just want to be normal. How long will it take?
    • Posted

Mine went on for 3 days that's why I went back to the docs x
    • Posted

Well I'm now on amitriptyline so not 100 per cent as it's another anti depressant so just having the odd side effects but I can cope with them just got to wait for these to kick in if I feel no better in a few weeks going to try different tablet instead of citalopram xx
  • Posted

You should consider trying different medications until you find the right one for you. I probably tried five different types over a five year period until I found I was most suited to citolopram
    • Posted

I was on Citalopram for 7 years prior to coming off it cold turkey. It worked perfect for me the first go around so thinking it might just need a little more time to get back in my system. 
  • Posted

Yeah, doctors always say about three weeks to get them into your system. 
  • Posted

Oh and citolopram can make me feel emotionless at times. 
  • Posted

Hi all

It's quite normal to feel calmer, but not better yet.  SSRI's take so long sometimes,  First you get the horrendous side effects for weeks and when they wear off you feel calmer, sometimes flat like a nothingness or sometimes quite happy.  Everyone's different.  After a while you'll get the anxiety back and all associated feelings that go with it.  If you just accept this as part of recovery, you'll find it'll disappear again.  These are called setbacks (blips) and are quite normal in recovery, and you get many.  You'll be up for maybe an hour or half a day, then down, then be up for a few days or a week, then down again.  This process will continue for maybe months, and each time the ups will get longer and longer until the downs will be no more.

People often given up too soon or go back to their doctor when having these setbacks and get their medication upped, which causes more side effects.

It can take so long to get better - months.  Recovery is so slow that sometimes you hardly notice it, but these ups and downs are a sure way of knowing that's it's working.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.