12 weeks after TKR....now terrible back pain...help

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi i had my TKR left knee 12 weeks ago and it zeems the knee is doing fine. But i have this low back pain radiating to the left hip which is so apinful i have had to up the cortisone intake (i already have a dose of 7mg per day for rheumatoinde arthritis) I had been limping for 2 years before the op and of course have only saterted to really walk normally since a few weeks. Has anyone experienced this. I am so desperate. Saw a chiropractor last week and he said my skeleton hip parts were desaxed. i have to wee hi every week for a while. Thanks for any input

Pam

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully you can get it taken care of. Don't lose hope.

• Posted

From your back, through your hip and down your leg?  Right?  Me too.  Sciatica, at least for me, caused by a locked SI joint pinching the nerve.  Tried cortisone, Celebrex, Lyrica, 800mg ibuprophin...nothing.  Chiropractor is working on it.  Sciatic nerve pain is always really bad...not fun.  I pinched the nerve a few times during my hockey days.  Chiro laid me on a low bench, overlapped my leg and twisted my shoulders in the other direction.  Instant cure...three times.  Can't do that now because I have an artificial right hip and L3-S1 fused in my back...so I gotta fix this slow and easy.  Paying for 44 years on skates and a couple of thousand hip checks too many...  You might also try one of those battery-operated stim units on the point of pain.  Good relief sometimes.  $25 @ Walmart.

• Posted

This is very common. Siatica nerve gets pinched. Sometimes physical therapy can loosen it and other times on me tions. If you can get to apain management Dr you can get a quick answer. It may take an MRI to get an accurate diagnosis.

A lot of It is poor posture and limping when the knee is causing so much pain. Go on you tube and look up excercises for pinched siatica and see if you can at least get A little help.

• Posted

Hi!

So sorry to hear about your pain. I experienced Sciatica pain prior to my TKR which sounds a lot like what you are having now.

I used IcyHot roll-on which would give me a couple hours of relief so I could keep going. Similar Capsaicin creams are available, too. They act as a "counter-irritant" that redirects the pain by producing a warm feeling rather than a pain feeling. ( I am ALL FOR tricking pain receptors, those annoying buggers!??)

After surgery the pain went away and comes back only occasionally now. I keep my Icy-Hot at the ready...just in case!

I also discovered by accident a move or stretch that relieves the pain. In bed take the leg that connects to your left hip and cross it slowly and gently over to your right side. This produces a spinal twist which takes pressure off the offending area. I do this throughout the night and also during the day if I get pain.

I hope these things help you as they have helped me. Pain is EVIL!?? Medication often doesn't help much. We need relief!!!

Let me know how things go, OK?

• Posted

Hi Pam

So sorry you have to suffer like this!  I had exactly the same and it was due to a pinched nerve in the lower back. After numerous PT appointments treating with heat, infrared and mobilising of the SI joint as well as a heavy course of anti-inflammatories the pain got better.  The PT gave me stretching excersises to relieve the pinched nerve and it helps but does not resolve the issue completely. Interrupted sleep is the norm for me because of the pain in the hip waking me up especially when I lie on the side where the pain occurs.  Dr said he can do an injection in the nerve to numb it that will relieve the pain but not really solve the problem.  Heat and stretching are my best friends.  Im am 5 months post TKR.  Good luck!

• Posted

I had back pain a couple of weeks ago. I am 11 weeks post 2nd TKR. I had done a little weeding in the garden and although my back hurt at times and I had to straighten up periodically I didn't think i had over done it. However the following morning when I woke up I could not sit up un-aided. Infact my husband had to stay home from work or I would not have been able to stand up to get to the bathroom. Took the tramadol that was left over from the knee pain but I was still struggling. I was OK sitting and laying down but once I stood up it was agony and I was leaning to the right,  that is the only way I could walk. It went on for about 3 weeks. In the end I stopped trying to carry on doing the knee exercises and functioning normally and literally did nothing for two days and finally that seemed to crack it.

?Like you I have been limping for years. I am now finding that I am getting a pain in my right hip (Left TKR was the most recent) it is almost like a cramp pain, it happens when I stand after sitting for a while.

• Posted

Thankyou all for your replies. I am a little better but am really hoping the chiropracor can help. I will let you know

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.