12 weeks and still swelling above knee grrrrr

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm frustrated that at 12 weeks when I here most people are back to normal I'm still swelling as the day progresses,I wake up with little or no swelling but definitely stiffness then after an hour I can feel that the knee is starting to swell and then if I don't take pain Meds by the end of the day it's aching...why why why I don't get it......

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, try not to be frustrated I'm 10mths post op and had alot of issues and are no where near being back to normal .. if going out I still use a crutch for balance.  Are you icing frequently to help with the swelling and also doing some light exercises first thing in the morning may help with your stiffness.

I've found that we're all on a different journey and some seem to have come along way in a short time and then others like myself have had a long road .. remember full recovery takes 12-18mths very slow process and much bigger op than what any of us I think we were getting ourselves into.

Take care and try not let it get to you .. I know easier said than done.  I was one that pushed too hard succeeded but then ended up with an extremely painful hip bursitis that put me back on narcotics and using a crutch again.  My quads weren't strong enough for the amount of work I was doing.

• Posted

Hi, rbleegrip. I am 16 weeks post tkr and still have swelling in my knee. It feels stiff also as if I have a heavy weight on it. It is my understanding that swelling can occur for months and months after. Ice has become my best friend. And of course I elevate too!
  • Posted

Rbleegrip,  I understand your frustration with the swelling.  I am 6 months post tkr and go thru the same thing daily.  I my swelling has changed several times and still changes on occasion.  It's it was mostly below the knee, ankles and feet, and behind the knee, now it is mostly above the knee.  Doc has told me it is normal....it changes as the muscles strengthen and heal.  Above the knee is the thigh muscle and he says it is the last one to heal...biggest one. Ibuprofen is my best friend now....doc prescribes 800mg tablets.  

Dont compare yourself or healing to others....we are all different and heal at different pace.  Also...the amount of time we suffered and damage done to muscles...etc prior to surgery has a Hugh effect on recovery.

just keep up the good work....rest ice and elevate when you can.  It will continue to get better.

pam

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.