12 weeks have a rash.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I noticed a rash about a month ago from my operated knee down almost to the shin,around 9 inches. Looks like dermatitis. All on right hand side of knee. Saw the Nurse at doctors,she wrote me a prescription for canesten cream. Doesnt seem to be working. Could it be related to the replacement and why if anybody has any ideas or experienced this? Thank you folks.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I stopped by the rehab where I was for 12 days following surgery. I was talking about "the rash" I'd had around the 3rd month and both therapist looked at one another and nodded....they called it the "healing itch/rash". They confirmed it is common. If you're really worried that it could be some sort of "infection", check it out. Probably not, however, especially if there is no soreness or heat. Try some corisone(over the counter cream with aloe) , Vitamin e and coconut are my real go-to ointments. They've helped me and my scars are all the better for these. :-)

• Posted

Thanks for that Lesa. Thats fairly reassuring,theyll have seen a lot of replacements. Forgot to tell Sueisobel there is no weeping of the rash or the scar either. Also thanks for the reccomendations. This forum and the people in it are great,glad i found it

John.

• Posted

Hi John.

It's actually quite reassuring to find that so many people have had this rash. Mine started exactly like yours 3 months after left TKR. 

Saw doctor who prescribed hydrocortisone for 7 days. That helped a lot but it never really cleared it. I then saw surgeon as I was worried it could be rejection. He said no but he never knew what it was either. 

A month later I saw a different GP. She was brilliant and gave me hydrocortisone again but for 10 days. She then asked how did I get on with chillies!

I was baffled. But she gave me some cream called capsaicin which is made from chillies. I have been using it for 2 months now and the rash has gone. 

It's really good stuff. Hope this helps.

Sue

• Posted

You are welcome John. Just another point- I stopped wearing trousers made from nylon material. I think maybe the nylon was an irritant. Hope you get on ok. Sue
    • Posted

Sue forgot to say that I have been wearing shorts around the house but will take your tip on nylon on board.

John.

• Posted

Hi folks

just to let you know i have been using the new cream for a few days and it seems to be working. It is fluroxycortide if anybody gets same kind of rash. Not gone completely but this stuff seems to be working a treat. Thanks for your help.

• Posted

I think this is "healing itch". Glad you're feeling better. I've gotten that around the same time and I used coconut oil, vit. e with a little hydorcortisone for the itch. Whatever works. 
    • Posted

Hi Lesa

Thanks. The knee rash is going really well but I seem to have a slight itch on my feet and back mainly,although Ive got some stuff for this as well. Did you get that also? Thanks for the feedback.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.