12 weeks post op, 75 degrees with possible arthrofibrosis. Should I concider MUA ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Can anyone help? Maybe someone had a case with arthrofibrosis. 

I am 30 years old. I had  MCL and muscle tear. After surgery, my surgeon did not want me to bend leg for 6 weeks. I started rehab only 6 weeks after the surgery. Now I am 12 weeks post operation, I can bend only to 70 degrees after the therapy. The therapy is really painful, ( I lost my voice several times because of screaming)  the lower pouch under patella is swollen and it is not fluid, it is hard. My therapist said that I have arthrofibrosis, plus I have a bad muscle atrophy. I can't sleep throughout the night, the leg gets stiff in the mornings, and during the cold weather. The therapist recommended today MUA or arthroscopy. She said that if I have not reached 90 degrees by this time I should consider MUA. She said that I most likely recover faster after MUA, otherwise the recovery will be long and painful. I don't know what to do. I have been depressed for the last month because of the lack of sleep/pain and starting to lose faith in the recovery. Should I consider MUA if I the therapy is so painful? 

I will appreciate any advice. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I don't know how old is this post. I had a MUA after only 4 weeks post op for a severe arthroscopic knee surgery. I could not bend my knee at all, but after mua can only achieve 80° bend on my own. I can't completely straighten it either. But it is much better than before the mua. I too have muscle atrophy. Physical Therapy is done daily to loosen the muscles and then do exercises to strengthen quads and hamstrings, but very slow progress. At times I just want to "clip" those muscles to release so I can bend my knee. Very frustrating. I try to stay positive, but times I think there is something going wrong.

• Posted

Hi I just saw your reply. 

It is being a while since I posted. It is 4 month and I still struggle with siffnes. I got to about 89 degrees post therapy but the knee swells up so much that in 15 minutes my degree goes to 85-80. In the morning it is stiff. The part below pattela is like a rock. The pain is 10/10 during the manual bending. I started working on my musicle building. Wall squats and walking up stair with bad leading leg seems to help. Before I was 0 degrees in extention, now it is +5. I started placing it on a pillow to let in hang so gravity will work. Not much progress so far. My straight leg raises have improved. Before I could not keep it straight. I started using a towel to keep the leg straigh while I flex my musicle. yestarday I got a electric muscle stimulator machine (the one that stings you with small electric shoks) I placed it about the patella and was flexing the muscle while the mashine shoked me (not painful). Surprasingly, it worked. I was able to raice the leg and keep it almost straight.

What do you do on your physical therapy? What is your progress now?

have you tried a hot bath to loosen up the scar tissue? I do not have only shower in my appartment so I do not know if it can help.

PS. I am frustrastrated also, staying positive is really hard now. It seems that both of us have developed a hude scar tissue that ristricts us from moving. When did you start your bending after the first surgery?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.