12 wks post back to work

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,well l made it through my first wk shift in one peice,for those that don't know me l work in the community looking after people in their own homes a job l have done for the past 25 yrs,since my TNR l have had to work out a new regime to accommodate my new knee.My shifts are a 3 day week from 6.45 till approx 5.,took advice from everyone who knew l was returning to work unfortunately l was not really able to elevate at all during the day as l work back to back.In light of the new regime l have had to start my day differently,l rise at 5 after a usually disturbed sleep as l am still waking many times during the night l start by doing some stretching,and lunging exercises l use weights to make it harder,then l go on my exercise bike for 5 mins then repeat lunging and stretching, by this time l get showerd breakfast then out the door. My first day was full on and l was shattered so much so that within an hr of arriving home after a meal and bath l was in bed,second day was better l used every opportunity to stretch and lunge, and today my third day was good ,l feel very pleased with how it went,but of course everything is different now and without me starting the day the new way l would be as stiff as a board.So for all those who are concerned about the Work word don't be if l can do it than we all can,l still have discomfort pain ,stiffness and am very sore but l realise it takes a long time.l now have 4 days off before l start work again.l had dreaded so much returning l was so worried that l would not be able to get through that now l have a feel proud,after all l am now 65 .

2 likes, 31 replies

Report / Delete

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How wonderful that you strived to make it work.  Pushing thru the pain and moving forward.  I guess we all learn that during this whole process.  You should be very proud of yourself.  

Pam

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thx the trouble is the pain and soreness seem  never ending,l do push myself through the pain but then l am in more discomfort l don't know if l am pushing too much but if l don't my leg is as stiff as a board.l go onto my exercise bike and the first few turns the pain is excruciating so l don't know anymore because the soreness is the same and l still on painkillers although l have cut down you can't seem to do right for doing wrong ,hope you are ok
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I am doing well.  Yes, the stiffness and soreness is there.  I also hurt a lot thru the first few turns on the exercise bike...but then it loosens up and I am OK.  I am 8 weeks post op. You are my champion returning to work and on your feet for a long day.  I am sure we will all feel very sore for sometime, especially as we return to normal duties.  If you are unsure due to how you feel, I think you should talk to your dr.  Be sure you are ready to be doing what you are doing.  Listen to your body...only you know how you feel.  Hugs!!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It is truly admirable that you are pushing yourself through the pain, but a few words of caution.

Seeing as you are on your feet all day, cut back on the exercises, do longer, GENTLE, stretches and slow squats and up your meds until you really do not need them. If you don't, you'll find in a month or 2 that you will have undone all the good work you have achieved, + you will not be able to function properly at work. Get your pain level back under control and instead of pushing yourself harder and harder, perfect each movement as you go along.  A lot slower than perhaps you want to go, but trust me, it will be better in the long run

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Sueisobel, you are right.  I am sorry I did not mention that to her.  I have started as you said perfecting my movements...going slower and holding longer.  I stopped a few things that just hurt.  I will add them back in when I improve my muscle tone more.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Very much so.  I am doing very well at 8 weeks post op.  This forum has taught me a lot and has helped to listen to my body...push but not to the point of severe pain.  Rest is as important as exercising.  Muscle building is a key factor....that is how I achieved such a wonderful bend.  My PT pushed muscle building...I was already straight at 4 weeks.  I am now doing the exercises with both legs individually....and leg lifts with both.  This morning I only had pain for a couple of rounds on bike...and then it was the easiest 8 minute ride I have had so far.  Thanks for asking.

pam

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you that's so kind,l phoned the physio team l was under today and just like l have been told cut back on the exercise if it's painful find a comfortable level he said the pain is because the muscles are not strong enough yet,he informed me l would not harm the new knee which by the way l did not think l would. I am annoyed with myself because l still need painkillers but l will keep on with them as l have to take meds for my fibromyalgia anyway. This site is great you feel like you personally know everyone as we all have the same gripes in common.You are doing great for 8 weeks l so u should be very proud of yourself.l will go easier this week have got even more calls to do so a harder 3 day shift but l am pleased with how things are going onwards and upwards good luck keep posting
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Have noted all your comments it's true l can't rest during the day l am on my feet all day so l am going to ease up with the exercises,l promise l will continue with the meds it's just that because l also suffer with fibromyalgia l take meds for that and with this surgery it's more meds, but l know l still NEED them so l will continue,l spoke to physio team l was under today and explained about the pain and soreness on exercising he said its because the muscles are not strong enough yet so now it's confirmed it will take time.l have got a full on 3 day shift from tomorrow so l note and thank you for your positive comments l will listen take care keep in Touch
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I know what it's like to HAVE to work. The trick is to find that happy medium. You being on your feet all day is exercise enough. When you are in a position to slow down your pace; turn some of your movements into exercises. I cannot begin to understand the pain you are in through fibromyalgia, but did meet a lady in pain management who did suffer.  It is hard to need to take that extra pill. Me, I'm rattling too, but if that one extra pill can ease pain, then so be it.  In my ignorance, can not your doctor give you meds that deal with both issues?? That would make your life easier, but as I said, my ignorance.  Stay well, don't over stretch, you will get there in the end, just not as fast as you would like.  Remember, you are not alone (even if there are days when you feel like you are). If you can, draw up a bath when you get home from work, with aromatic smellies. x
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Good.  Take care of you and listen to the pain.  Of course we can not hurt the knee..it is all metal.  I just do not want to see you strain your muscles and try to work too. Do not be annoyed with yourself..it is what it is...do what you need.  Please take care of you...only you can.  Hugs...

Pam

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I am almost envious in how far you along you are in such a short time. You are doing everything as you should and you know your own body.  Stay well and keep up the good work

​Sueisobel x 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi,love your messages so kind,l have suffered with Fibromyalgia for the past 15 yrs l don't know what it is too be pain free it's like another world to me,l have managed it by having good days and bad days but l have never let it beat me,l remember when l was first diagnosed my GP said now you should stop work.and get help,needless to say l never did l carried on working dispite the pain it was like l had taken on this condition and l was not going to let it take away my independence. Medication for this condition is not great it's Amptytripline at night and Naproxen  it never takes the pain away but it brings it down a bit,my sleep is very bad anyway with this condition but sometimes you get used to always feeling rotten and accept it.When l started having really bad knee problems l then reached a stage where going up stairs was horrendous l would pull myself up each step in agony.One night l wasgoing out with my family to watch a firework display we had to go down manny many stairs to get on the beach,at the end of the display everyone ran for the stairs l started to climb slowly I in agony people behind were shouting come on and my daughter who was right behind was so angry she started pushing my bottom to help me up,by the time l got to the top l was in tears my poor knees were grinding.At that point l said enough is enough my knees have got so bad life is not only hard but so miserable now,the rest is history where l am now 13 wks post op. The pain is different than what l already had but the muscles hurt that bit more,but l am hoping eventually the knee trauma pain will go and it will be just me and my Fibromyalgia.l am no martyr for carrying on working and l certainly do not look down on those that don't ,but carrying on regardless was never an option it was something l always did and something l will always do until l am no longer able.As regards my other knee at the mo l can't even think of it my consultant said come bk when u r ready and that's not yet if l do.thx for all yr support.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You sound like you are doing great what bend do you have ? I bought on the Internet the instrument for measuring bends l was at 100 but since l had that near fall and pulled behind my knee l struggle to get past 95.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Last measurement was 128 1/2.  Of course you are having an issue now, bet you pulled a muscle.  Bend is there...straight is there...but I still have healing to do.  I still need a lot more muscle strength and to build my endurance.  So that is what I am working on now.

Just came back from my first driving in 2 months.  Yeah!!  I am only taking ibuprofen during the day, it dulls everything enough. Still taking Tramadol and Tylenol PM at night.

Had to let hubby say...I was OK to drive.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Wow, you are one brave cookie, but then from your point of view bravery does ot come into the picture. You either get on with life or shrivel. Fortunately (or not) I just suffer with my knees (over 40 year now, thank goodness for modern technology),though my other joints are now being attacked. I have to have one week a year camping, no matter what; solitude, fresh air and soft sandy beaches. The beach that I use is at the bottom of a cliff, so you can imagine how many steps there are.  I just stand aside and wait for others to pass; its also a good excuse to allow the pain to subside, so I know where you are coming from, yes there are those that tut and mutter under their breath, but my answer back, is just wait til its your turn!! I usually go with my eldest daughter, she is my knight in shining armour and won't allow anyone to be rude to her mum, but my youngest!! She sounds just like yours, ah well.  We try.  The warm weather is on its way so at least we wont have the cold damp weather to join the pain gang.

Keep smiling. And don't be pushed xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You made me laugh you sound like me,we live 5 min from the beach we take our three dogs there all the time but climbing down cliffs no no no you are the brave cookie,The thing is l was brought up with certain values my mum brought us up on her own and worked so so hard l suppose it's something that has always been in my mind and giving in to Mr Fibromyalgia  was never an option. Today l had a real heavy shift did all my exercises first, while l was at work having a quick sandwich l was thinking about my messy garage that is holding stuff for my daughters it's been on my mind for a couple of days,l came in from work the sun shinning my hubby so pleased to see me home he is quite a bit older than me but is a wonderful man he had my tea all ready and beckoned me to come and sit down,once l had eaten l said come on we r clearing out the garage,his face it was a treat you are joking you have been gone 10 hrs and you want to sort out the garage yes l do.We took out the whole contents onto the drive l swept it all out put aside stuff for the dump and put it all back lovely and tidy well impressed but SHATTERED l Daren't say a word l will lick my wounds in silence. Both my daughters are my rocks they are so caring and it upset me to see them crying when they saw me crying it hurts bad but l could not help it at the time.l could never go camping because l could not get down on the floor,l still have to bend over to do people's feet.Do you know what l am dying to do that is to have a proper bath completely emerged l am so afraid l won't be able to get out and the fire brigade will have to come and assist not a pretty sight.l am going to now have a shower and go to bed not to sleep just rest,l think my new component is a little annoyed with me tonight as it is aching so bad. Love the mess spk soon
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

And now I am envious.  I have to drive hard and fast for 4 hours to get to my favourite beach!!!!! I too go all out to get the job done, and then collapse afterwards.  Go have your bath, it is difficult to (a) sit down in the bath and (b) get back out. First, don't fill the bath too much as it can get messy as you try to sit down, use the strength of your arms to sit down, then fill up, at hot as you can stand and just let your leg "float". It's amazing how many exercises you can do in the water without pain. To get out, again use your arms and lever, yes it is hard for a couple of times, but you will figure it out; a bit of twisting and getting your bad leg out first.  You are on your feet all day so you know how strong your leg is, so put your weight on it.

camping in hilarious as I have to almost fall over to get down and then get up on all fours to stand, but the peace and quiet of being on the middle of nowhere is worth it.

my ex mother in law, who lives in Canada, was almost OCD when it comes to a tidy house, and would tut tut tut when she stayed with me.  Until she had her knee replaced, as you say, she now "loves the mess".  Don't you just love life.  Your next mission should you choose to do so, is to be in and out of the tub.  It is funny, but the mere act of laying back in that hot water (with essential oils)....... Pure bliss...stay well

Report / Delete Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up