13 days on mirtazapine????

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello - new here- super sensitive to meds- tried 4 diff ssri's and they were horrible for anxiety. Started mirtazapine 13 days ago on 1:4. Then went to 1/3. Noticed better anxiety in am - sleeping is horrible! I get restlessness legs so takes a few hours to fall asleep- then I toss and turn all night - it does not knock me out like many people say. I even backed up the time to 7 pm to go to bed at 10 and still have restless sleep. Not sure if increase dosage will help or make it worse- I'm scared- I did 7.5 last night taking it early and same restless pattern of sleep. What to do?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Diane

Are you taking mirtazapine for anxiety and insomnia?  Everyone is different as I'm sure you are aware but the doctors say that most antidepressants can take at least 2 weeks or longer before you notice a positive result.  In most cases mirtazapine seems to work well for insomnia but if you are taking it and you are having such a terrible time at night, I would go back to the doctor and explain this.  Maybe mirtazapine is not for you.

• Posted

Thank u Christine- I do go back this pm. Yes taking for sleep and anxiety. She will tell me I haven't given it enough time- at what expense do I compromise my sleep? I'm so conflicted!

• Posted

I fully understand your anxiety regarding lack of sleep.  It's a horrible feeling and only feeds into your already present anxiety.  For most people mirtazapine seems to be effective for insomnia so your experience can seem like this drug is not for you.  I can only tell you of my experience whilst on mirtazapine.  I was prescribed 15mg and was on it for 5-6 months.  The first time I took it, it felt like a cosh.  It did knock me out and I slept wonderfully.

If you feel unable to carry on taking it then discuss with your doctor.  I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful

• Posted

Diane, not sure what 1:4 and 1/3 means but my own experience with this med is that it is great for sleep. I started at 15mg about a year ago and am now at 30mg and sleep like the dead. As for anxiety relief not so effective (for me). For that I had been taking lorazapam which worked well but not able to get this anymore as Dr's not prescribing for long term use. I think the usual startup dose for mirtazapine is 15mg so maybe your Dr will up the dose. You must give it time to work. 

• Posted

Thank u James - I meant to type I took 1/4of 15 mg first for week/ then 1/3 of 15 and only started 7.5 last night of 15 mg. lack of sleep is creating more anxiety- not sure about 15mg - might keep me up all night - scared to jump to that as my system is so sensitive.
  • Posted

I think 7.5 is a low those. I started with 15mg and then 30mg and my sleep was much better
  • Posted

Hi Diane.It may be to low a dose.I started on MIRTĀ at 15mg about 7 months ago for IBS/anxiety/depression upping to 30mg(15 am,15 pm) about 5 months ago.It does help to relax me at night and get a good 3-4 hours of sleep but then choppy after that.However I am also takingĀ  600mg of Gabapetin(200 am,200 afternoon,200 late pm,along with Tramadol for associated back pain.I was also weaned off of Paxil during this time period,so I have many other issues than just the Mirt.Every person is different and since your sensitive to meds I would up it slowly to see if it will help.it may take 2-3 weeks to get your system used to it and take effect.Prayers your way.Hang in there!! God Bless You,Bob

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.