13 weeks on Prozac and still depressed, HELP!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I started at 20 mg for 4 weeks, then my dr upped me to 40 mg for 3 weeks, then 60 for 2 weeks, and now I am at 80 mg for the past 4 weeks. I am still  experiencing pretty bad sadness and depression, with some moderate anxiety. Is this normal? I felt fine after up to 60 for a couple days but then it went bad again. And since switching to 80 I have only had a few good days. How long will this take and is this normal?  I am 27 years old and desperate for help, since no one will take me seriously. :’(

Also I should note I’ve been on and off it since middle school because it kept pooping out. I don’t remember it taking this long the last time I restarted 2 years ago so I’m lost 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

80 sounds like a very high dose. Are you seeing a gp or a psycharist? A psycharist knows so much more about these meds than a gp. I found that out the hard way. 

I am on my8 th month and still having side effects. I took it 20 years ago and it worked in 2 weeks. 

• Posted

I would give it another month. I know when I want from 20 to 40 it basically reset the clock for me. Had bad side effect starting 2 weeks after raising the dose and didn’t start feeling better till about 6 weeks after raising to 40. Hang in there, things will get better smile

This medicine is very slow. If it doesn’t start shaping up in a month though I would consider changing medications. If you had some good days this medicine should work for you, but if it ends up not then sooner or later something will. 

• Posted

Thank you so much, I really need that positiveness to look forward to! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.