14 days in on fluoxetine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had a really bad panic/anxiety attack about a month ago. GP prescribed sertraline 50mg 2xdaily, side effects were horrendous so after a week i was advised to stop. Had all clear from health tests I'd been waiting for, i felt this had started my anxiety si thought I'd be ok. Went on holiday to lanzarote , had massive panic attack that lasted for about 5 hrs. Saw Dr he prescribed diazepam 10mg 2xdaily they really calmed me down , and we were able to enjoy the rest of our holiday . Saw gp on my return and he suggested trying fluoxetine. So so glad i found this group ! Although i haven't been anywhere as anxious , I've still not had a full good day yet. Knowing the side effects I'm experiencing are normal for lots of people is reassuring, think the only side effect I've not had is insomnia. Back to see gp in 2 weeks and I'm going to try cognitive behavioural therapy. So fingers crossed . And thanks for sharing , it's really helpful xx

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen.. hope you do find Prozac good for you, still very, very early days with this med, I would presume your on 20mg??

You will have up and down days as you go on, im on 60mg and feel great, but did take a few months to feel at my best...

I don’t sleep but I don’t think it’s any thing to do with Prozac, as not sleeped good in two years, and Iv only been in this med coming up to seven mth...

Good look and I do hope you get to feel good very soon big hug 🤗x

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

That’s good to hear.  I just started it also. The Dr tells me to take it in the morning. I’m not sure if it’s helping my sleep or not.

• Posted

Hi Dawn , thanks very much fir your reply. Yes I'm on 20mg , know it's not going to be a quick fix, but after reading others experience it's eased my mind as the side effects were causing me to worry more. I'll persevere and hopefully thinks will improve Xx

• Posted

Yeah I take mine first thing in the morning to, think most docs do, then it gives you a good set for the day..

Some people say it can help you sleep, so hopefully this is it for you, I’m going through the menopause , so Iv put bad sleep down to that, not Prozac... keep going you will get there. And it’s good when it fully kicks in big hug 🤗x

• Posted

It will help your  depression Stacey, once you’ve got there honsley, b4 I started Prozac I felt like I was in this black tunnel where I couldn’t  reach the end, really low, crying is some one just said hello lol 😩, but 3 mth after taking this med, my depression had gone ( yeah ) ..

I still have the odd day where I feel fed up, but I know by the next day I’ll be good again, I’m just putting that blip down to this crap menopause we are going through as your hormones are just all over the place...

Don’t think I would of coped if I wasn’t on Prozac, as I was really at my lowest when I saw my doc..

So don’t worry chic, keep talking on here, we all here for you, it will work, just time that’s all, just keep in your mind that tomorrow just could be the start of your good days.. big hug keep us untouched how your going 🤗x

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

That’s good to hear😊.  That’s how I was too, very low.  Even if I have some good days, that’s better than before.  I got my period yesterday, I never know what to expect with them anymore.  The depression is better already, so hoping it continues to get better.  Today is day 4 on the Prozac.  I think the 5 weeks of Zoloft did help lift the depression.  I’m worried about the side effects of this, but trying to stay busy, maybe I already had them with the Zoloft.  Thank you for listening.💕

• Posted

Hiya chic.. my periods stopped in March, but still get the pre period symptoms, so that’s when I have my blip..

So if your still having yours that don’t help when your low... 

your still in early days arnt you with Prozac, I remember feeling bad for at least the first 14 days of this med, then I was up and down with my moods, then at 4weeks I went up to 40mg and not untill I went up that’s when I started to level out and feel better... we all long just to have one good day, I know that, just stick with it, and those days will come for you..

I only take Prozac for depression, and kalms for help with the menopause, as can’t have HRT, what’s these other meds you taking with Prozac? And you said worried about side effects ? 🤗xx

• Posted

Just worried about the side effects of the Prozac.  The Xoloft nearly killed me with anxiety when I got to week 4.  So far I haven’t noticed many side effects.  I’m on day 4.  I was on the Zoloft for 5 weeks 3 days, then the Dr switched me to Prozac because the Xoloft caused me terrible anxiety.  I wasn’t having bad anxiety, so it was the Xoloft.  I’m just hoping I don’t get the bad anxiety with this, so far so good.  I haven’t had to take any Xanax since I got off the Zoloft.  I’m not sure why it caused such bad anxiety.  I was only struggling with depression to begin with, now I’m freaking about about getting anxiety again.  I do feel the depression is better.  Glad you are doing better.  I wish my period would just be done already.  It’s all over the place, late, early, mostly short and light.  Sometimes no cramps, sometimes bad cramps, etc.
  • Posted

Hi Karen,

I was on Sertraline also.  I was in week 5, it caused the worst anxiety I have ever experienced.  The Dr switched me to this also.  I’m on day 4.  The anxiety is definitely not near as bad as on the Zoloft.  I hope it gets better from now on.  I am feeling better than I was.  I hear CBT is great, I need to try that too.  Glad you got to enjoy the holiday, I am going for away for 3 nights with family.  Last week I wouldn’t have been able to go.  I hope it will be ok.  I have Xanax, which I don’t want to take, but just in case.

• Posted

Hi Stacey, i thought i was going crazy on the sertraline my anxiety was out of control and i ended up at the hospital, with a really bad panic attack . Definitely not as anxious on fluoxetine, and know it's not going to be easy. Just want to feel like me again. Enjoy your trip away with your family . I'll let you know how the CBT goes . Xx

• Posted

Yes please let me know how the CBT goes.  I used to have panic attacks about 20 years ago.  I forgot what they were like until week 4 on the Zoloft.  I was having to take the Xanax every day, but I haven’t had to yet on this.  It’s day 4.  So far so good I think.
    • Posted

I've never suffered before Stacey , and it's been so scary . My mum suffered with depression/anxiety for many years, and the times i said to her come on pull yourself together.......how i wish i could take those words back .

I've heard good things about CBT , so fingers crossed, and I'll definitely let you know how it goes . Xx

• Posted

My Mom never had any of these problems, but my Sister has more than I do, and is a few years older, so she helps me.  It is so hard, hang in there.💕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.