14 months PO PKR

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello !

About a month ago I posted I was having trouble with swelling . Had to have knee drained , iced a lot , stopped wearing heals . Knee got better .

Now I think it's swelling again . Is this normal ? Only thing I can think is yesterday I was holding , walking with my 10 month old grandson . He's not even that heavy for heavens sake he is a baby !

Just wondering if anyone else continually gets swelling . I hardly think I over did it ?

I was hoping at this point I would be forgetting I had the surgery but nope it keeps reminding me which is really disconcerting .

Debbie

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm 16 months with no swelling; I would think you'd be past that point too at 14 months.  However...

You know that everyone is different and that stressing the knee beyond what it can take WILL ABSOLUTELY cause it to swell.  If you have your ROM back and have done all the exercise work to regain your strength (and ditched all the high heels), you should have little to zero swelling problems...unless...

You have fluid accumulating in the knee again or you have not regained all your muscle strength.  Remember...all those muscles support the knee and take a lot of the load off of it.  With weak muscles, the knee is doing all the work and can get overstressed.  

For now, I would suggest that you sit back, ice, elevate and let the incident pass.  Make sure you're up to date on your strengthening.  Track your activities and log when something like this happens to see if there's a pattern.  Be your own doc...you know your body by now.  Listen to it...

• Posted

Thanks Chico

I have looked at your daughters regime many times . It is very very involved . Any chance of a more simple exercise regime As far as the strengthening exercises . I'm not afraid of hard work , actually love to but think it's all to much on my knee .Make sense ?

I was also wondering what does your average daily activity level look like ? On a good day ! Lol

Thank you !

Debbie

• Posted

To simplify:

1. Warm-up

2. Stretch

3. Select only a few exercises like leg presses, leg curls, etc.

4. Cool down

5. Do this seriously every other day

6. On your off day, just walk

Just remember that when you start this, it's very light (or no) weight and more reps.  Chart your progress.  Will you be doing PT to get your ROM back?  That usually comes first.  Can't warm up on a bike unless your knee can handle full revolutions.

Again, I don't know your op so I'm assuming (usually not a good idea) that you will need to regain your ROM and then strengthen quads, glutes and core just like us TKRers.  If true, you have the plan.  Start slow and light and increase the weight, number of exercises, upper body on off-days, etc. however you want to.  All up to you and your lifestyle.

Before I had a hip replaced in 2009, I could do 250# and more leg presses and 90# leg curls.  After the op, I could barely do a 5# curl (they cut your quads for the op).  All of this takes time.  Start slow...follow your doc's advice about how much stress the knee can take during what time periods.  Be good to yourself.

• Posted

If you see your doc,let us know if it was fluid build up again and if he has a reason...I'd think your past the swelling point to ...

• Posted

Will do ! I am waiting it out few more days to see if it corrects itself first . Thanks for your reply !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.