14 weeks post op - discharge started!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. Had vaginal vault repair and posterior fixation in mid June. All has gone brilliantly (apart from the constipation that we all seem to suffer from post op!) But over the last 48 hours I have started to have a creamy discharge. Not had any prior to this. No pain. Very slight irritation. Anyone else had this as I wo dered why it has started up after all this time? Thank you ladies!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Glad everything has gone well for you.

perhaps you have got a touch of thrush developing

• Posted

Hi. Funnily I had just decided that its probably thrush - went through a stage last year of getting it regularly! So I have just taken an anti thrush tablet and hope that knocks it on the head. Honestly, its always something isn't it? Thanks for replying. Hope you are getting on ok. 
  • Posted

hi joolsB im 3 wks post opp now i still suffer with costipation and have been taking laxatives since opp nothing untowards goin on but if your worried have a phone call chat with your gp put your mind at rest ... take care
  • Posted

Hi Jools,

Just saying hi.  I have not had any discharge but wanted to thank you again for all your support in the first few weeks post surgery for me.  I would have gone totally mad but for your encouragement.

It wil be 3 months tomorrow since my surgery - hard to believe.  All is well here.

Nickie

• Posted

Hi. Glad all well with you. Operations seem ages ago now don't they? I decided my problem was thrush, took anti fungal tablet last night and already symptoms are less. I've still not had my post op check up - it's in two weeks time - but I am sure all has mended well. I have found this Forum Group invaluable and really enjoy keeping in touch with everyone. It's like a Prolapse Pen Pal Group!! X
  • Posted

Hi Jools,

Glad you are feeling better.  It does seem ages ago.  That's a long time without a post-op for you.  I saw surgeon at 4 weeks (before going back to work); 6 weeks (before resuming ALL activities); and once more when I had a blood clot work its way out of bladder.  Very painful at the time but nothing to worry about.  She is going to follow up with another scope just as insurance but she is 99% sure that's all it was.

Instructions and appointments so different from one country to the other.  This has been a great support for me - but also an education in the differences we have.

And you are absolutely right - it's the prolapse pen pal group - I love it.  It's brilliant......

Nickie

• Posted

Hi Jools and all, Yes this is the best forum! Countless times over the past 12 weeks after TVH and anterior and posterior repairs I have looked up discussions when I was wondering/worrying about something. It is a slow road to recovery but everyone who said to rest as much as possible was correct, plus to do some walking gradually building up the distance and being careful with lifting: my guide was 2 kgs for the first 6 weeks, then 5 kgs up to 3 months and 10 kgs long term. I feel a lot better but am still trying to be mindful of what I am lifting as I am not supposed to lift anything over 10 kgs the rest of my life, including grandchildren. I am going back on normal hours at work tomorrow but I really appreciated having 4 weeks of half days re swelling feeling, tiredness and building up to more activity again. I had a mild vaginal infection at 5.5 weeks post op, the first scheduled check-up with the surgeon, and she said that it can be common with the stitches in there. Had antibiotics (and probiotics for the gut) and at the physio's suggestion I stopped washing that area for the time being with anything that lathers. This was to keep a healthy pH of the vagina -ie  it should be slightly acidic, ie 3.5 - 4.5. Soap is alkaline and has a pH of 8 or over. She also said to only wear 100% cotton underwear and that helped too. I went back to the Dr at 8 weeks because it was sore to sit down. She found a red area and knot/stitch vaginally and that I had a mild UTI which was treated. The next day after she'd had a look the soreness went away. I saw the physio again last week and was happy when she said my muscle strength had improved. I have no leaking but rarely did even with a prolapsed bladder and she said that's because my pelvic floor muscles are pretty good. My main problem was the rectocele and it's heaven now to empty my bowel in one or two goes!

Best to get the discharge checked out Jools -I didn't realize I had an infection - but I have also read it can be stitches dissolving. Perhaps too long after your op to still be that?? Anyway all the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.