14 years on tablets

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi  I've been on anti depressants for 14 years. Mainly fir anxiety. In 2000 I began to feel dizzy, became irritable and suffered a panic attack. I went to the doctors and despite my reluctance to take the tablets the symptoms were controlled. I have been on tablets since and tried many times to come off them.

the side affects over the years have been variable. Tiredness, lack of motivation, weight gain. I tried various tablets but in terms of side affects I

found citolopram to be the best at 20mg around 8 years ago. I have varied the dosage myself down to 5mg for a period , but in the main it has been 10 or 20mg.  I have even tried to come off them so many times but suffered a brain buzz and became so irritable that I decided each time go back on them .

i gave had all the counselling cbt via nhs and private Human a Givens, but did not feel any great benefit. I have read many self help books and use affirmations.

I would say that the biggest cause of my condition is work related- paranoia, trying to bad perfect, worrying what people think, thinking I wouldn't be able to cope, lack of confidence. when I have been really bad with work I have been prescribed diazepam which helped me to think straight again.

However, two weeks ago I decided to try and stop again without  weening myself off. up to now I feel great- higher confidence, looking forward to challenges, not caring what people think, more alert and confident, all the things I thought I could only do with tablets. I am also thinking of exercising.

i feel great like I can do anything but it am concerned that I have a bit of mania. But if I I stay this way,it would be great.

has anyone suffered mania like conditions after coming off the tablets for any period?

thanks fir reading

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have mania episodes while im taking them , ahhaha mobyd.. lol and i love that feeling like who cares what ppl think.of me. then i have times like you i feel i just want to shut the world out.  i dont want to even try to come off them   .but good luck with this.  .
  • Posted

Mania is a symptom of bipolar, isn't it?
    • Posted

Yes thats right silver .  but you dont have to bipolar to get high. mood changes effects us all .id rather say it;s like feeling excited and having lot's of energy.. maybe i am bipolar.?  eekkkkkkkkkk 
  • Posted

Yes, this manic feeling is great- I could take on anything right now. I can't stop telling jokes, being funny. On the other side, I wonder whether I will come back down and feel I need to return to taking tablets.

i actually feel like how I remember being as a person in the mid 90s. 

• Posted

Hi.

I too like you have been on antidepressants for about 15 years. They keep me ticking along. I have tried to come off them 3 times and each time I feel great to start with but approximately 3 months later I completely break down. My head goes funny, I get panicky, anxious, and like you say irritable and also that feeling you are going mad. I then had to begin the tablets again.

Reasons for wanting to come off them were mainly weight gain and dependency. However I HAVE become dependant on them. It will take along time to wean off them. So I feel as if I'm going round in circles!

I am thinking of chatting with the doctor about trying again but it fills me with dread at the thoughts of withdrawal symptoms again!

I really understand what you are saying and am hoping that things get better for you too.

Helen.

• Posted

ive been on every pill going i think since i was 16. im 59 now, so guess its im on them for life i would say .. 
  • Posted

Hi

i will not be surprised if in less than 3 months I am back taking 20mg. But hey ho I've got to try and see if I actually continue to feel like myself without the tablets. 

• Posted

Hi helen

yes, the tablets do seem to reduce motivation and enthusiasm which together with other factors result in weight gain.

i have probably put in about 5 stone and could do with taking at least 3 of these back off.

although I am not experiencing cold turkey feelings now, I have done previously and the only solution has been to go back on the tablets which in itself can be self deflating.

• Posted

Hi there,

This is just a thought.  What happened around 14 years ago.  Implant for contraceptives?  Around 35ish or more??  Onset of periods???These symptoms don't just arrive.  Plus bipolar is to do with your hormones - know lots of people with contraceptive implants or hormone imbalances which the symptoms you describe.

Mel Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.