14th day on mirtazapine 15mg

Posted , 5 users are following.

Still got drowsy tired eyes..am seeing doc tomorrow night...does everybody get put up to 30 mg ,is this routine for this drug?..Is it ok to split the 15mg  some say yes some say no..?Sometimes I think just come of drugs altogether just to see how I would feel..know it's only 2 weeks on this but 4 years ago was put on venlafaxine ,after 2 weeks,n it worked great ..but relapsed at Xmas while on these..so now on mirt..

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello Cathy, if younare taking the orodispersible type if Mirt' breaking them in half or quartershas been fine for me for a couple of years now. If they're coated, so swallowed rather than allowing them to melt in your mouth, the splitting of them may not be a good idea. Keni
    • Posted

thanks keni..I will see what doc has to say ..are you still on22.5 mg. split thru day?
  • Posted

I am on 45mg of Mirtazapine , i started on 15mg then my GP put me up to 30mg then 45mg ( over a few months ) as he hoped they would carry on over to daytime but they didn't , still found days a struggle so when i saw a psychiatrist in February he prescibed me Venlafaxine ( 75mg ) to take day time to work alongside the night time Mirtazpine so far so are helping me where i used to be irritable now more calmer . I have never thought about splitting a tablet but my GP is good at changing my medication if they are not helping my depression . I still get bad days but that is my personal life struggles and not the tablets fault , hope you get your medication sorted to suit you xx
    • Posted

Hi Maria. Thanks for reply..so you didn't hav the drowsiness ..I am still working ..and if I get much drowsier being put up to 30 mg Al look like zombie to clients or cut a finger off!.. Am still waiting to see health team..xx
    • Posted

I don't get drowsy on the highest amount - i wake up early and feel fine , i did get drowsy on the lowest amount , my GP prescribed  them last summer as i was struggling to get through the nights but unfortunately the days were still bad but just had to cope with them until a social worker at my local CMHT who was asked to do an assessment on me passed me over to their Psychiatrist who in turn listened to me as i was really worried about how irritable i would get during the days at the silliest thing prescibe the day time antidepressant which has mademe calmer but sometimes a little dopey but i just deal with :-)
  • Posted

I wouldn't worry about dosage, just make sure you communicate with your doctor about side effects. I find yoga helps me relax and Ive been volunteering to help my social life. Its good to have a sense of purpose and work can keep you busy. Its good if you find a voluntary organisation which is relaxed. Ive been working at a clothes shop/cafe. I think letting people in is really good for feeling better. I talk honestly about my illness. (OCD and depression) Try to stop judging others as it helps you to be kinder to yourself. If you do don't worry, just say 'no I choose not to judge)

I know this might seem a bit sporadic/random but these are things which helped me. Yoga seems to have helped me the most

• Posted

thanks allycats..I am still working..plodding on..putting face on..just hopeing for a little bitnjoyment to come back..I'm one of the ones who has only family and certain friends know..it is much easier talking to people who know what it's like..x
  • Posted

Hiya Cathy, after a LOT of depression and a LOT of experimentation with dose I've got myself on an even keel with 2 x one half of a 15mg tablet about 7 or 8 hrs apart. I take the first about an hour or so after I get up at 7:00 am and the next half at about 3:00pm i.e. one 15mg tablet in all daily ...it works for me...I found that any more made me worse, strangely. Keni
  • Posted

Glad I could help. Ive tried to be kinder to myself too. I always notice me beating myself up, especially around women (relationships have been an insecurity for me because Ive never been in a proper one and Im 22) /seeing friends meeting people all of the time. Now I focus on the good and having fun/learning to drive. Its never too late to take up a new job or a new hobby and it could really help your recovery. Im trying to put myself in situations Im scared of too. Im not saying im some all knowing guru, just I know fear, anxiety and paranoia too and want to give back something
  • Posted

Hi I found mirtazapine didn't suit me because they made me very sleepy during the day.   So I changed to sertraline which are much better.  x

• Posted

Hi hypercat well been to doc tonite n am gonna try 15 mg and 30 mg alternately c how that goes. What amount were u on and how long did u try it for. Are u well now on the setraline?
  • Posted

Only about a month and the side effects didn't wear off.  I was working full time then and couldn't cope with the drowsiness.   I have been on sertraline for around 5 years now and they work a lot better for me.    They tend to make me numb which is much better than getting upset all the time.  Bev x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.