14wk p/0 bk to work completed 3x10 Hr Shifts for 3wks so far not too bad until today THE BATH l

Posted , 9 users are following.

The one thing l have so missed is my bath the soak has always helped my pain riddled body.As l had completed the above l decided to try and get down into a bath, doing this was quite easy l put two flannels on either side of the bath and lowered myself down.After a lovely session of pampering the dread overwhelmed me how was l going to get out. Before op l would go onto my stomach hands on either side of bath and pull up onto my knees painful but it worked, well this was not going to work l did try but l had to roll bk. I now started to hyperventilate and panic,l called for hubby he was pleased to see l had managed to get in but then realised l was near to tears, l can't  get out l cried. Hubby suggested right let's try this no good, then that no good, l was now really crying and so angry that because l so wanted a bath l had caused this.By now l was convinced the fire brigade would need to be called as l was not going to get out without help. My dear hubby although 75 has always done physical labour and only a few months ago was repairing our roof suggested l do as he asks and he would get me out.The bath water was let out and a big bath towel was put under me giving me grip on the bottom of the bath,l was told to clasp my hands around his neck and don't let go just allow him to do the rest.he somehow placed his hand across the bath and used his body as a hoist and started to lift me, with this l was able to push up with my old leg and help him till l was sitting on the side of the bath.PHEW what a nightmare, l promised him no more baths my poor hubby. Well at 65 you would think l would have some sense it seems where my body is concerned l  am destined to learn the hard way.

2 likes, 15 replies

Report / Delete

15 Replies

• Posted

I want to bathe sooooo bad, but you convinced me to be happy with my showers for the time being.  What a story that is!
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Dont you dare, that's the trouble l was yearning for that soak it is the only thing that made me feel pain free, living with Fibromyalgia as well means l have been in constant pain for 15 yrs and a hot bath takes that away but it  was not fair to my hubby who is strong so much younger inI fitness than his 76 yrs being in the building trade all his life has kept his body strong and musclely even though he retired a few years ago he trains everyday and that is why we all forget his age.l am 11 yrs younger but some days l feel a 100,but l promised l would not attempt that again,his answer was why l can get you out nooooooo 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Oh dear - I don't remember how long post op I was when first had a bath and got out - but I do remember the amazing feeling of achievement when I did it. It's still at 14 months with stronger muscles a challenge as can't kneel but can twizzle and push up - I practiced with no water in until I could do it - live alone so glad I did not get stuck! So frustrating to not be able to do things that used to do but in time it will get better. It's swings and roundabouts all the way
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I know the trouble is l do love a bath and at that moment l thought l am going for it, getting in was so easy, the rest is history,You are right l will not attempt this again at least not until my pain is a flicker in my mind. It's a long journey we all have to travel ,thx for comments take care
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I remember that happening to me 23 years ago when I was very pregnant and how panicked I felt! Horrible! My husband had to haul me out and it took a lot of effort! I had a bath last Sunday just before my operation on this Monday for my 2nd TKR and made a mental note that I might not be taking a 🛁 bath for a long time as although my first TKR was in 2014 I still find it very difficult to haul myself out of the bath due to one knee replacement let alone two! We will all have to stick to showers!

Came home yesterday afternoon so about to brave the bathroom in a minute but not looking forward to removing/replacing those compression socks they make you wear😬

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

you take care so brave to have second one done ,mine is down for doing when l am ready, that wont be for a very very long time,this experience needs to be a distant memory,Don't rush your recovery and keep us updated good luck.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I have a friend getting ready to do "back to back" TKR.  I think after her first she will find that other leg not as bad as she thinks it is.  I try to be brave when I am around her, but this is not for sissies........at least if you want to get decent range of motion back.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes I really really didn't want a second one but done now and just had one of those burst into tears moments that you get and it's only my first day home alone!😥 Everything seemed to be going wrong eg dropping my sticks, almost tripping & my knee was about three times its normal size at least! Plus in hospital they gave me laxatives that didn't work, then when I have stairs to climb they kick in with vengeance!!!🚽🙁Then a very good friend arrived, made me sit down and ice and made me a cup of tea! She only stayed for an hour as she realised that I needed to rest so having such a considerate visitor cheered me up! I'd forgotten how the blues suddenly hit you but I do realise with time everything will return to normal👍
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I can empathize with everything you just said........everything.  

We just have to realize that we cannot overdo, right? And if we do......elevate, ice and rest!  As far as the constipation goes........well, we are clearly on our own here.  Pain pills are nice, but this one side effect makes you wonder.  Catch 22 for sure!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Wow.  What an ordeal that was.  I will practice as suggested below before I do that. 

I do have to tell you what I did this weekend.  It was close to 80 degrees all weekend....so I decided to get a little sun.  Well I did get myself stuck also.  I stretched out in a chase lounge in the sun....it felt so good...realized about 45 minutes later....how am I going to get up????   I let panicked also....oh no...I can't get up.  Luckily my hubby was home and I yell for him to help....he got me up too.  How lucky we both are to have them.

needless to say, I sat in the sun in a regular chair a few more times over the weekend.

take care....

pam

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I know l have just been to my office to get my work sheet for next week,l told them and we all laughed but realistically it's was not funny my poor hubby like l said he has been doing a very physical job all his life In the building trade and although he is now retired l seem to forget his age because he does everything himself, he carries fridges, moves real heavy stuff around ,he is 76 believe it or not but physically you could knock 20 yrs off that, l am no lightweight although since op l have lost 17 lbs. and intend to carry on loosing. The yearning for a bath was too much but   nethertheless very stupid. By the way hubby absolutely fine spk soon
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks for the picture! I have an outdoor hot tub, but last winter here in Nova Scotia it was impossible for me to get in with all of the ice we had. So crazy me, I too was crying in pain and ran an Epsom salt soak. All was fine, until I was ready to get out. Thank God my hubby was home. What a struggle we had. Note to self, never do it when home alone. I mastered the beach this month too. Decided I'd lie on a towel..got down ok, but holy moley, then I had to get up. I turned on my stomach and did like the plank, and knelt on one knee pushing my unoperated one up. Won't try that again either. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I hate tubs now also...  It showers for me!!
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up