14y/o Son Needs Booster Vaccination but has Severe Needle Phobia - What can I do?!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, 

my son desperately need booster vaccinations as he is now 14-years-old. He is aware of, and understands, the risks of refusing the vaccinations. However, he doesn't care - he is still refusing the vaccinations. He has received all of the treatment possible and is now a bigger needle phobe than ever. He has the right to refuse these vaccinations and he doesn't intend to change his mind. Please don't suggest further treatment when it seems to be worsening the situation. Would private clinics administer general anaesthetic for the vaccinations, and how much does this cost? Thanks. 

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Maybe see if his go can give him a lose dose of Valium or xanax or ativan.. I take 0.4 ativan for the dentist and my MRI as I fearful of both and it helps relax me.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Dr can give slight sedative - diazepam which will make him drowsy. I grr out for f it xxx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Its just a thought but is it the having the injection or the seeing the syringe ? Could he be injected at a point where he couldn't see what was going on ? 

Obviously no good if its the sheer fear of it when its in.

The things with a general anaesthetic is the risk for such a short period. I struggle to get them to knock me out when I had an MRI and I had a huge panic attack that scared the live **** out of the mri attendant

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

A paediatric dose of a benzo shoukd do the trick but he has to take it still.

general anaesthetic will involve an injection unless it's gas.

I think your son needs to believe he is in control of the situation and if he understands the risks of not having the vaccinations and refuses still then to an extent you need to respect that decision.

As a parent though you also want the best for your son and his heakth is a priority so I can understand your predicament.

It may be worth speaking to your GP about whether their is an alternative way to get the vaccination delivered ie orally or by using an injector pen where you don't see the needle it's like a pen which you press against the skin, press a button and the needle is released quickly and the vaccine delivered in a matter of seconds, I have sumitriptan injections the sane way for cluster headaches your son can decide when and deliver the vaccination himself so he is totally in control.

Might be worth a Google search?

Neil 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up