15 days post LTKR and HYDROCODONE!

Posted , 8 users are following.

I posted previously at my post op day 6.  Not a pleaseant time.  I just wanted to follow up.  

I was given hydrocone for pain, which resulted in my experiencing EVERY negative side effect listed for this drug.  I am convinced that my recovery would have been smoother and less painful, had I not been under the influence of this drug.  Mentally I became someone totally different from myself.

I finaly realized tha t it was the drug, and not the after effects of the surgery, and quit cold turkey.  Took a day or two to get it out of my system, but what a huge improvement all the way around.

I am taking only regular Tyenol now, and although, I still have some pain, it is tolerable, and I am back to being myself.

Nothing going forward could have been worse than those first days post op.

Leslie

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

At least you have found out not to take this drug again.

Hope things improve, it is a long hard road to recovery from TKR but it does get better in time.

Keep me posted on how things are going

Take care

Sarah

• Posted

Some people have terrible side effects with opiates . . I was lucky, and found tramadol suited me  . . in fact, one I started on tramadol life after TKR changed from total misery to  just about bearable!  Hope things continue to go well for you . . You are still at quite an early stage, but if the pain level is already tolerable, then  you are doing well!  
  • Posted

Hi Leslie!

I know what you mean about Hydrocodone! It did not sit well with MY body either! Also bad for me was Oxycodone. Worst of all was Tramadol which gave me ALL the symptoms of the flu EXCEPT a fever. ( I kept taking my temperature and was really puzzled UNTIL I realized that my symptoms of flu disappeared after the dosage of Tramadol wore off in six hours!)

In addition, I didn't think the Hydrocodone, Oxycodone or Tramadol did a very effective job on my pain, and the first two caused me to just drop things or fall asleep at random times. Very weird!

Like you, I got off them soon, went to Tylenol.

After I was done with the blood thinner shots, I went back to my tried and true Ibuprofen.

I guess some medications are great for some people. Others...well, we are better off not taking them!

Glad you are feeling like your regular self again!

• Posted

Pain meds affect everyone differently. I hope you will be able to give therapy all it needs without pain meds. If you find the pain to unbearable talk to your Dr about changing meds. By all means have a balance but remember your recovery depends on your being able to do the excercises properly (enough reps/enough sets/). Also don't overdo the Tylenol as they can cause organic concerns. No more than prescribed on the bottle. Maybe you will be one of the fortunate ones that has a pain tolerance level that can cope. Good luck
  • Posted

Hello Leslie: Glad to hear you are off the meds that caused you problems. 15 days is too long from your surgery and to only be taking Tylenol, I think that's great! I had a PKR in Sept 2015 and was on Perkocet and it definitely took the pain away and did NOT make me looney. I tried Tramodal and felt like I had bugs CRAWLING on me! OMG it was horrible. Everyone is different. I am having a revision next Monday (Feb 8) and am terrifed to start all over again. I am not looking forward to a lot of ALL OF IT and def NOT the Meds! All the best to you Leslie - keep in touch!

• Posted

That was supposed to say NOT too long from your surgery...

• Posted

Boy can I relate!!! 

I was so sensitive to any opiates in which I too experienced every horrible side effect that I refused to leave the hospital until they figured out what would work.  They finally  released me with Tramadol but even that made me feel awful all the time.  I, like you, finally got to the point where I went cold turkey as well and was more willing to live with any pain than to not be somewhat normal and feeling like myself.  I started taking Motrin 800 ml and started  feeling t so much better mentally and emotionally after that.

I believe I land in the less than 1% of the population category for any drug that can have a negative affect. 

Good for you for stopping and getting back to you.  I know many people out there who have a high tolerance for opiates that just don't understand

• Posted

You are unlucky, but I can fully understand what you went through because I was the same with a drug they gave me for nerve pain.  It just totally changes you into a different person, and it's a horrible feeling of being out of control.  However, I was absolutely fine with tramadol. . . it was coming off it that was a bit difficult!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.