15 days post op TKR having sciatic pain in the side of my surgery.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Is this normal?  I am doing well with PT but am wondering if I did something with the excersises.  Or would it be how I am sitting in my recliner?  I went from using a walker the 1st 4 days to just walking no cane.   Any feedback would be appreciated.  

Thank you

Robin

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I am eight weeks out today but have had sciatica a couple of times after TKR. I asked my doctor about it and he said it's probably the way I'm walking my (gate) allowing for my knee pain. I try to concentrate on walking straight with equal pressure on my feet.

• Posted

Thank you Nancy, I had not thought about that.  I will concentrate more on my gate and see if that helps.
  • Posted

Robin

I'm 5wks post op and home PT tried to pressure me into walking with a cane.

My out patient PT said NO NO. I not comfortable with just a cane yet.

Everyone is different.

Do you feel comfortable walking with a cane only ? If so congrats to you.

You just reached a goal most of us are trying to reach early.

I would suggest you ask your PT if it's okay with them. They want you safe.

• Posted

Hi Robin. Experiencing sciatic pain is very common following TKR surgery. First, like someone else suggested, make sure you are walking correctly. I had my husband video me walking a couple weeks after my surgery and I noted that my stride was off. Do not go from walker to cane until you are able to get the proper hell-to-toe smooth stride. This can leave you with a permanent limp and really through your body alignment off causing all sorts of other problems. 

Secondly, think of all the time (for some of us it's been years) that you may have been limping or walking with some type of compensated stride or using bad body mechanics due to pain and arthritis. This can take a real toll on your body. Getting a new knee also aligns your body differently and cause a lot of tightness in surrounding muscles - which in turn can compress the sciatic. I feel your pain, as it is very painful.  There are a lot of great stretches you can do to help and getting up and moving also helps. Sometimes sitting for prolonged periods can also contribute to the discomfort of sciatica.  I wish you good luck - it should pass with time but do all you can to help it along.  i also used massage therapy and chirprpractic treatments in addition to PT and home stretching. Best wishes!!  smile

• Posted

Thank you.  I know it is different for everyone but what is the average amount of time to use a cane?  I don't feel I need the cane but I don't want to end up with a limp either.

• Posted

I would defer this to your physical therapist or record yourself walking so you can watch yourself. I tried switching to a cane after a couple weeks but found that the cane actually made it worse. I went back to the walker for a few days until I felt that I was really paying attention to how I was walking and doing it correctly. I never used a cane after that - went straight to walking unassisted. Don't push it - get your strength, balance and stride under control first. 

• Posted

I am 12 weeks and seven months post tkr.

What I do is ,in the house ,no sticks.

Out to the garden and back its one stick.

walks out and about,it's two sticks,but when I get into a good stride I take a stick in each hand and march along.

wish you well.

Mike

• Posted

I've read about this happening Robin.  I wondered, if it happens, can a TENS be used?  I had wonderful success with TENS previously.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.