15 to 30 mg Mirtzapine

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've upped my dose of 15 to 30 mg for last two nights due to depression returning.  Sleep has taken a hit and I just don't have that same level of tiredness. Needed zoplicone to finally get to sleep and didn't sleep that well. Should I use my 15mg tablets x2 or maybe go for 15mg plus 7.5 to see how that goes?  Thanks for your support.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Mirtazapine really is a funny drug, I went up to 30mg and it knocked me out, made me feel awful through the day and gave me terrible anxiety also made my depression worse. I tried it for a week but couldn't handle it! I know for some people it is less sedating at higher doses which sounds like whats happening with you. Currently in the process of tapering off it. Perhaps you'll adjust to it over a week or so, see how it goes and if you are still no better then maybe drop back down again. 
  • Posted

Hi Jillian. I agree with Liam. I was on 30mg then 45 then back to 30.  Last night I cut my tablet in half to 15. Still slept the same. The lower the dose the more sedating it's meant to be. How long have you been on mirt? I don't think it's helping with my depression. I think mirt is a very hit and miss drug. Hopefully it will eventually work for you.
  • Posted

I agree with Kat50, more misses than hits though judging by the success rate.  Other medication isn't much better and in many cases much worse.
  • Posted

Hi thanks for input.  I've been on Mirtzapine for over year and half though has been up and down during that time depending on my despression/anxiety/insomnia levels.  I was 30 before for a short while but managed to get it down quite quickly.  At the moment I'm struggling with depression but insomnia has been an ongoing issue for many years. The mirtzapine 15 has helped my sleep hugely so I'm disappointed 30 has changed that though maybe tonight I shall use 15 plus 7.5 ie 22.5 total.
    • Posted

Perhaps mirt has stopped working for you. You might need to try another AD. I'm also on venlafaxine.  I'm trying to cut mirt out so that I'm only on 1 AD. Mirt hasn't even helped with appetite which it's meant to do. Many people say they was hungry all the time. Not me! 
    • Posted

Mirtz didn't make me hungry either in fact I probably eat less since i've been on it! Jillian maybe you can try with the 22.5mg and see how that affects your sleep. Perhaps Kat is right maybe the mirtz has stopped working for your depression? Now you are are not sleeping well on 30mg lack of sleep can make depression worse. Horrible when you don't know what to for the best! 
    • Posted

Hi Liam

How are you getting on with reducing the Mirtzapine? I'm going to stick on 22.5mg for time being and see how it works out. It's ok so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 

• Posted

That's very helpful.  Thank you all.  Liam you're so right about lack of sleep making depression worse.  I shall drop dose tonight to 22.5 and see if sleep improves. Will let you know. It's so frustrating though. 
    • Posted

It is frustrating.  You just don't know what to do for the best. This forum is very helpful and friendly. I keep in touch with two lovely ladies on here through the private message service who are going through the same as me and have helped me so much. Just talking to people who know how you feel is a great help. 
  • Posted

Hi Kat, it's really helpful to know others are going through these difficulties.  Thanks to you and the others for taking the time to respond to my posting.  It's so reassuring.  I shall be keeping up with this forum.  My GP is so busy - no appointments for 2 weeks so have phone appointment instead next week.  Will keep you posted.
  • Posted

I would just stick with the Zopiclone. You are lucky you still able to get them. I now have to resort to buying them of the internet.  I found Mitarzapine not very effective in putting me to sleep. 
    • Posted

Hi Vivienne, My GP has always been prepared to prescribe them long as I don't use them every night. I agree with you  mirtzapine not being that effective at putting to sleep though I think it helps keeping asleep.  What are your experiences with mirtzapine for anxiety/depression?
  • Posted

I would  stick with the Zopiclone if i were you.  You are lucky youn are still able to get them.  I now have to resort to getting them of the internet.  I found Mitarzaoine not very effective in putting me to sleep.
  • Posted

Hi, My gp wont give me any more Zopiclone, hence the Mitarzapine. I didnt like them, they did nothing for me, side effects were grogginess due to lack of sleep probably and restless legs at night.  When i asked my gp if there was anything else she coulld give me she said no and referred me to a sleep clinic. That was two weeks ago and i am still waiting so have now resorted to buying of the internet. I just hope and pray the tablets are ok and not duds. Will find out tonight.

• Posted

Hi, I really understand the desperate need for sleep.  It's so important for functioning.  The sleep clinic is a positive step but in the short term hope the Zopliclone work for you tonight.  Keep me posted. Good luck.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.