15 Weeks TKR - Unexpected Setback

Posted , 6 users are following.

I finally started making such good progress the last 3-4 weeks. Nothing earth shattering but a great change from where I was.

At 15 weeks post op with very difficult recovery and complications I am at the level of about someone who is doing well at roughly 4-6 weeks. I still have to use the walker; sitting very low tolerance; standing very low tolerance. Still on narcotics but at least it is every 6 hours now. ROM is all over the place and highest was at 116. I at least do not fall lower than 100 anymore. Walking 0.5 miles per day spread out over 12 hours. Ice every 2 hours. Home excercises and physical therapy x2 a week.

Had to have dental work done. Told to stop Ibuprofen with interaction with antibiotics. 3 Days without it I woke up with a pain level I thought I had long left behind. My ankle also terribly sore. Knee felt nice and "loose" after last pt. Now it's "locked" again and I can tell by heel slides that ROM is way down. Dread seeing the pt guy tomorrow.

Rest, icing elevating, excercises but not overdoing it. Pain meds. Gentle massage and restarted the Ibuprofen. Can't think of any more to do. Also begs the question of just how long am I going to be on Ibuprofen which worries me.

I know about setbacks but I thought my knee was past this pain level for sure.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I know it's tough...and there are definitely advances, setbacks and plateaus.  One would think that you'd be past it at almost four months except for the fact that you'd be dead wrong.  You have to be prepared for the full year rehab.  Any expectation of fantastic shortcuts or waking up one morning totally better is just not gonna happen.  I'm approaching 11 months and I still feel it.  At four months, you're still smack in the middle of it.  Stay strong...

• Posted

I am starting to realize that the only sure thing about this recovery is that nothing is for sure.

I really don't want people in my life asking me how I am anymore. Lol. I sound like a pathological liar😜

• Posted

"... the only sure thing about this recovery is that nothing is for sure."

Bingo!!!

• Posted

Hi

I keep posting really hotbaths helped me and after my leg had been in the water a while I tried straightening exercises.

I spent hours in the bath during my first 6 weeks, sometimes refilling the bath as the water was not hot enough.

Good healing

• Posted

Hi Milla

Sorry you are in such a state! Yep this is a long haul recovery isn't it!

Just keep on keeping on & do your best. The reality of TKR is so hard to get across to those that haven't gone through it!

Keep your chin up, one the best weapons in your artillery is humour (that and painkillers)! Try to find the humour in the everyday! Otherwise you go nuts!!

If I ever get my hands on a magic wand I'll get rid of all of our problems!

Just gotta remember where I put it . . . . .

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Boy does everyone speak truth. I felt pretty good yesterday so before church I stripped the king size bed, washed and dried the sheets and remade the bed. All without my husband seeing me because he would have stopped it.

I spent the afternoon feeling pain in so many different areas, shin, thigh, back, butt, that I didn't have enough ice. I knew I did to much at that point.

I'm at 6 weeks and just when I think I'm doing pretty well I read about someone who's playing golf at 5 weeks. Then I hang my head and beat myself up for being a wimp. How many times do we need to hear from our PT that it takes a year. Such a weird recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.