15days post knee replacement feels like I've got a clamp round my knew

Posted , 11 users are following.

I've been doing the exercises and my knee is bending but at times I feel like I've got a tight clamp round leg

0 likes, 23 replies

Report / Delete

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That's normal. It's the swelling. And it will feel that way for weeks and probably months to come. I'm at 10 weeks, and I still feel it--a lot. Not to worry.

Ice and elevate leg above your heart. That helps reduce swelling.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You just had MAJOR surgery, it will get better. I m in my 6th week post and just getting my energy back! I still have moderate pain and trouble sleeping but It's not easy but believe me it will, every day a little better. Hang in!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Wendy,

I had a tkr just over 6 weeks ago and I am bending but the stiffness is still there and my pt said it could be like that for 6 months. It is such a long healing time. I get down quite a lot and I still haven't got an appertite. I try to be positive but being on my own all day long makes my mind work overtime.Also when I went to see the pt last Friday the 7th of october he said I still can't drive. I will be about 12 weeks when I can. Still I suppose there are worse in the world than me. I have got to stop feeling sorry for myself. Hope you recover soon regards Sandra.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Sandra it makes me wonder if it was all worth it but I surpose we are both in early days. Normally when I'm not well the first thing that happens is I don't eat but thankfully it only lasted while I was in hospital. But it helps that my hubby keeps tempting me to eat . You being alone must be very hard because you have no one to temp you to eat. Keep your chin up and hopefully we will over come as some one pointed out we have had MAJOR surgery . Take care.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I know it is hard to not feel down , but last replacement i took up making jewlary to pass the time and i do a lot of reading , also call a friend it good, i also had people visit me from the church. also everyone in this group is here for you.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Wendy,

Unfortunately, you sound like me! I fully expected to be back to "normal" within a month or so.....NOT!! I am 6 wks post TKA and just started driving alittle.  As my physicsal therapist keeps telling me, my expectations were not realistic.  Recovery is measured in weeks, and mostly months and total recovery not for a year or better.  It is a very LONG, snail paced recovery.  You have to really concentrate on the small victories and not let your "new knee" take over your emotions.  Post-op depression, sleeplessness, pain, stiffness, swelling are all a part of healing.  I really found that once I realized that it was MAJOR MAJOR surgery, unlike any other that I have had, and started to relax and accept it, things got easier. Sleep when you can, ICE is your best friend, be faithful about physical therapy and don't push yourself to the point of exhaustion.  We are all here for you!  You are stronger than you think and this "alien knee" of yours will get better.....but it will take alot of time and patience.  Lord bless you

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Wendy - I am 6 weeks post op and that feeling has pretty much gone now so please be assured it is normal and it will go when the knee is comfortable and getting strong again.

All the best,

Jenni.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Totally normal.  That sensation of stiffness in the knee along with a slightly swollen look plus clicking and popping sounds can last 12-18 months post op.  I'm 7+ months out and still have it a little bit.  The clicking?  I don't think that's ever going to go away!  After all, we have a YUGE mechanical device implanted in our bodies...that ain't normal.  Personally, the clicking means I'm still alive and moving instead of being in a wheelchair waiting to die.  Try some Voltaren Gel (RX)...best topical anti-inflammatory on the planet.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up