16 months period free now cramps

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 56 and have gone 16 months without a period and even though I've suffered terribly with hot flashes, I've powered through trying to do this as naturally as possible. In the last 3 weeks my hot flashes have gone from about 10 a day to 2.  Then 3 days ago I felt the cramping I used to have with a period. Have had a slight brownish discharge and now bloating.  Is this a common occurrence?  I'm hoping it doesn't turn into a full blown period. It would be wonderful if this is yet another sign that I'm almost at the end of the menopause tunnel!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It really depends on a few factors. One have you been ingesting any type of soy foods? Soy milk or edamame? Soy is a hormone disruptor, such that we tell patients to avoid it like the plague because it can cause all sorts of symptoms in the body especially in women going through peri/menopause.  The other factor is that it could be related to stress. 

If you're having a regular period with no other issues, and you think it was induced by soy, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. However, it wouldn't hurt to see your doctor to her/him know you had a period. 

If it's stress that's causing it then you need to chill, make an appt to see your gyne maybe she/he can give you something to calm the nerves. 

• Posted

lol, sorry I meant to say you need to relax but the word chill came to mind since I suspect you're young at heart. smile

Also, forgot to mention that it sounds as if your estrogen dominant, a sign of the bloating. Look online for foods that will help lower your estrogen. Try yams, they contain progesterone and really help balance the estrogen levels in your body. 

• Posted

Funny you mention soy as I had ONE tofu hotdog last week. I doubt that amount would have an effect though! Stress....yes have had a lot going on and when I'm overloaded it does stress me.  I just wondered if this was a common stepping stone in the whole menopause process. This is day 4 of feeling like I have a period coming on but nothing  happening.  The fact that my hot flashes have decreased has been wonderful and that alone almost makes me feel normal again!

• Posted

Hi all my mum was 30 when she started her premenopause my partner thinks I am to am 30 as well can that happen I have pcos an gallstones i sometimes have heavy period only this year they been regular an heavy an only on for around 3 or 4 days

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.