16 year old daughter 5'4" lost three pounds

Posted , 2 users are following.

Concerned about my daughter. She is 16, Ukranian in origin but has been diagnosed with IBS. She also had H. Pylori before it cleared up. She went from 98 lbs. down to 88, then back up to 92 or 93 at the most. Now on a gluten-free diet, has lost several pounds. I might add that she is also broken up emotionally over a breakup with her boyfriend, which doesn't help. She doesn't east as much junk food now, but is trying to stay on the gluten diet. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Anxiety, stress and change of diet can cause weight loss.  If she has food intolerances and is having to eat less, this will also cause weight loss   Is she on an antispasmodic or painkillers?  Has she tried low Fodmap or a food diary?   Stress and anxiety are key  triggers with IBS.
  • Posted

Hi Gary, is this the 1st test she has had?  I think I'd go back to your doctor and see someone else about her diet too.  Something isn't right clearly and I too would be worried about her if she was my daughter.  The emotional break up on top of everything else will not be doing her any good.  Has she spoken to a counsellor about how she feels about this break up?  No offence but she may not feel like speaking to you about this.  A gluten free diet isn't for everyone and doesn't always help.  Good luck that must be a very scary position to be in.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.