17 weeks post op A/P with nerve endings

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi.Well here I am again.Still can't sit flat and square on any chair,sofa etc.. Had internal examination and also up back passage as that's where my pain comes from. Doctor said all healing well and the internal walls are healed.So she has said its the nerve endings that haven't healed yet. So I am on Gabapentin capsules to help.Anyone else having this problem as I despair.

On a lighter note, I mentioned sometimes I still see a bulge below as also a lot mention and she said after a bowel movement it will drop a bit and also standing too long. She said because the vagina has been stretched in the operation that you will also be able to see it as the opening won't go back as closed.

Also I was told by gyny and physiotherapist in the hospital to do the pelvic floor exercises the day after the operation.

The doctor has said to pull them up in 3 stages.up up up and hold.Then to let them out in slow moves too .

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Jill, I found your post incredibly helpful  The pelvic floor exercises I though I was doing OK, but doing it in three stages was suddenly aware that there was plenty of room for further tightening of the muscle than I'd realised.  I'd been doing a sloppy job!  So thank you!
  • Posted

Hi Jill it feels so good to feel I'm not alone in suffering this horrible pain and discomfort, I also can't sit comfortably on anything no matter how soft it is.  The car is the worst and I feel a real winger every time my wonderful husband asks me how I'm feeling because it's always the same, aweful and when I say I'm ok he says he can see I'm in pain.  I'm now in my 9th week post op and feel depressed and feel like I'm never going to get any relief.  Worst part is everyone says how good I look,  if only!  Any advice?
  • Posted

Hi Jill, it's Ann again just curious what sort of pain you feel when sitting?  I find it hard to describe, almost feels like everything is trying to get out and the pain is like intense pressure, it's that you have?  Are you in Australia as I  haven't heard of that medication before and am seeing my doc next week and will ask about it,  seems like 9weeks is getting a bit long to still have this  prob.   Hope your feeling better and sharing this info does help.
    • Posted

Hi. It is only when they said it was nerve endings/damage that when I sit I think yes I think thats what it is. I can hardly explain the feeling.it is definitely in my back passage.A bit like if you have piles and can't sit on them. Except i haven't. If i sit on the very edge of a sofa but lean forward it is bearable. I cannot sit on a recliner chair/hard chair/sofa without needing to curl on my side.If I am stood ip but lean against the wall or otger object I get a pain too.I drive just ten mins and feel like I am sat on my bowels or like pressure pushing through my body with no room.Sorry I am struggling to put it in words.i am now 19wks post op .I live in UK and am 51.
    • Posted

You described it exactly! Only extra thing I would add is there also an almost raw burning sensation in combo with the immense pressure in the bowel.  It feels like there is also pressure in front as well when sitting the only real comfortable position is standing (not for too long) or I get very tired.  It's a shame the professionals don't explain this sort of thing before the op but then again I guess most of them wouldn't have had the op to know the real human pain after I know mine is too young to know.  Do you bend over freely? Or are you still being careful,  my doc said at my 6 week check I could do normal things gain but reading everyone else's comments I find this     
    • Posted

Hi Ann again sorry my iPad jammed up didn't get to finish my discussion I was saying most of the others on this site say how much longer it takes to get back to normal. I am 62 and struggling and am in Australia .
    • Posted

Hi.I had a leaflet from physio at the hospital saying no lifting more than full kettle till after 12 wks and general house hold duties after 12 wks. Can return to work after 12 but if heavy lifting job not till possibly 6 mths.

I am aself employed cleaner and the doctor pulled a face when I told her my job and shook her head. I went back to doing a few easier cleaning jobs a couple weeks ago. I am 20wks and get so depressed and frustrated as need to lie on side or curl up sideways. This weekend I bought a beanbag travel neck pillow which I can sort of manage to sit a while on as there is a gap at the back. Or i sat at the table yesterday with it as could lean forward with my elbows on the table and the beanbag under my thighs elevating my backside.

Yes I get the raw burning feeling but not all the time.

Hopefully you feel better soon.

• Posted

Well sounds like I'd better take things a bit easier I only started to do it all at 6 weeks because when I asked the surgeon if there were any restrictions with activities she said (no just do it all.). Guess it's same old story just listen to your own body which I am now going to do.  Thanks for the advice and will also try the pillow trick.  By the way are there any restrictions with bending down to pick things up etc? Think I need a few rules to go by too.  Regards Ann 
    • Posted

Hi.thos leaflet says" if you must lift please wait until at least 3months following your surgery and remember to lift with assistance (standing with your feet apart and bending your knees keeping your back straight) and tighten your pelvic floor". Really wasn't expecting recovery to be this long. Apparently nerve damage takes time.

But....I can't sit down doesn't seem to matter. I can't even lie on my back. (After 4mths!!) If i had an office job the work would be lighter except if you can't sit you can't work. My job is strenuous. Least i can't sit down on the job. Xx

• Posted

Wow didn't realise it would take 3 months to be ready to do those things thank you so much I feel but more reassured now.  I have been feeling like a wimp hesitating doing things because everyone keeps saying how good I look  and It makes me feel as though I should do more, in fact it's only my husband who stops me.  Here's hoping time flies!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.