18 weeks on citalopram

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi guys I need abit of advice what to do please? I'm on week 18 on Citalopram 20mg, I'm not sure if the tablets are doing anything for me, I feel really weird and loss of memory is an all time high...my concentration levels are really bad. I went to see a physiologist yesterday and it was somebody new who I havn't seen before, first time seeing a professional since taking this med. He was absolutely useless as its like he told me things straight out of a txt book that's how it seemed, he didn't seem to have a clue about medication but still wants me to go to 30mg. I'm terrified of making any change in medication because I know what it does to my body and I fear them. I've told myself I will try them for 6 months then taper off the drug and never have anti depressants ever again. I really feel like stopping now but terrified to come off them or change dose, I've just never been right since taking antidepressants from Jan 2017 and in that time this is my 8th med. He is also assessing me soon for ADHD. Sorry for the long story I just got carried away, any advice would be great as you people are better than doctors, at least you understand how it actually feels being on this type of med.

Thanks guys

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Brye, have you tried cutting down rather than raising the dose?   I tried It with some good results & every now & then, even miss a day, I’m afraid everybody Is so so different with tolerances & side effects, that it’s better experimenting, rather listening to Doctors, that don’t seem to have much time for you these days.

• Posted

Hi mike, I have thought about going down but I was trying to hold on for 6 months  but don't think I can wait that long...I suppose it doesn't fix external problems medication. The fact I couldn't function before taking this med and still can't shows to me it's not working, I've had bad relations on Ssri,s before hence the fear of them. I like your idea with skipping dosage and dropping to 10mg. When I havn't taken a tablet for what ever reason I've felt abit more relaxed.and think clear but when I next take my tablet I'm strange again for a while, it's so confusing to me.

• Posted

Iam pretty sure your dosage is too much for you .. same thing happened to me on 20...as soon as I decrease to ten..all those nasty yucky feelings subsided...
    • Posted

Lasted two weeks on 20...I have been on 10 for two years and recovered..
    • Posted

If you do decrease dose go to 15 then ten...
  • Posted

Hi ive been on 40 mg of citalopram for years i had too keep going up until they worked. Which they do now. Hope this helps x
  • Posted

You have good advice from a few people with cits experiences Brye, so it seems like you have taken the 1st step to take control of self dosage, as you said you feel better when you skipped a tablet .  Next time Instead of taking a full tablet after skipping, try half one, It seems to do the trick with me,  I know you have had problems previously with  ssri’s I have also, but the cits Is the one I have had the most benefit from, so hopefully If you persevere, It will work for you also.🤞

• Posted

Thanks for all your replies....I know these drugs are different for everyone, I wouldn't want to go any higher than 20mg. I'm going to try with 10mg and see how that feels. How will I know if it's the right dose?

• Posted

You should get better concentration & energy, also less anxious, ‘hopefully’!😊

• Posted

Oh you will know..your bizzarre feelings will start to diminish...
  • Posted

Your 8th medication in just over a year?  I think that might be where the problem lies - you're not giving these meds the time they need, and to keep starting one meds and swapping to another you're getting constant side effects and discontinuation effects so your body doesn't know if it's coming or going.

These type of meds take months and months, not weeks, and people often don't notice recovery starting because they expect to just start feeling well.  What often happens is that you'll get a complete mix of side effects slightly easing, maybe some good days or just hours feeling good mixed with bad days, plus every morning will still be awful.  You wont just suddenly start feeling well ......... this happens so gradually.

Throughout recovery you'll probably get setbacks - this is where the symptoms come back.  It's normal and doesn't mean you're ill again or that the meds aren't working - it means the meds are working.

So you have to work with all those nasty feelings present - and just play the waiting game.  Increasing your dose won't make recovery happen any quicker and won't stop the setbacks - they happen whatever dose you take.

Some people chase recovery by hopping from one meds to another hoping for a quick fix, but just never respite from it all because they don't give the meds the time needed.  Stick with one meds.  It took me 6 months to recover - it can take longer for some people or shorter.  Everyone's different.

K x

• Posted

Hi guys yes my 8th med since Jan 2017, I have never had this sort of medication ever, the doctors kept changing my dose and changing meds. I'm so angry for what they have done, this is the longest I've stayed on 1 med because I wanted to give it ago, even then the doctors tried upping from 20mg to 30mg but I said no. I'm going to drop dosage to 10 to see if helps me. I would love to have my energy and concentration back, I've felt very lazy on 20mg so hoping this helps.

Many thanks for all your advice

• Posted

Yes it can take 3 months or so just for one dose to start kicking in, so to keep changing doses doesn't allow this to happen.  It takes a lot of patience on these meds and I'm sorry your doctor hasn't understood this.

These meds won't bring about immediate relief but it will happen it time if left alone.  I know how each day and every second is painful, and we all want it to stop now, and for someone to say you need patience is almost laughable ........ but thats what we need.  Patience and perseverance wink

I'm sure you'll begin to feel improvements as you progress on the meds - and do keep in touch with us all as we've all got our fingers crossed for you ??

K x 

• Posted

You don't have to listen to the psychologist. When I tell them what s going on with side effects we usually end up going with me feeling on it and I got pretty screwed up after some bad advice from a locum Dr. Question are you sleeping right? Drinking too much caffeine or alcohol? Have you had anything bad happen in your personal life recently? Remember anxiety isn't all about the meds and my initial recovery was stunted basically by poor lifestyle choices. I've relapsed (stress out of my control) but I am confident in the tomorrow. Take care

• Posted

No I don't listen to the psychologist anymore, they don't seem to understand but that's my personal opinion. My sleep is allowed the place, has been for 2 years now, I've had my life turned upside down and inside out over 3 years of hell. Without going into much detail my life has changed in every department. I feel I live a life on my own now but the meds 100% changed how I thought and I believe gave me a lot more anxiety.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.