18yr old daughter having a hard time since Prozac mg. increase.

Posted , 2 users are following.

My 18yr old daughter started taking Prozac in spring of 2017.  She started on 10mg and increased to 20mg about a month later.  It worked well up until this past May.  She said she felt it wasn't working as well around the first of the year and this spring she totally bottomed out.  She had a complete breakdown.  Ended up getting her in with a new therapist who she really likes.  Her pediatrician increased her Prozac from 20mg to 40mg.  She increased to 30mg for a couple of weeks and then went to 40mg.  I was hoping for the best but shes really struggling.   Due to vacations she hasn't been able to see her therapist for a couple of weeks.  She says she can't tell any difference with the mg increase.  Seems worse than she was when she increased from 30 to 40mg.  Is this normal? She wants to change meds cause she doesn't think the Prozac is working.  I have read enough on these forums to understand that it takes time.  How do I know that it will eventually get better and how will I know if she does need to be changed to another med?  At my wits end and don't know what to do.    Worried mom.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi

Try adding aripriprazole (Abilify). It worked out for me. It seems to make the fluoxetine work better. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.